Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US $ to JA$ conversion

User Info Menu

US $ to JA$ conversion

HELP..Is the currency converter chart still on this Board ? If so, where is it ????

[/url]

User Info Menu

Here is the link to the converter: http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

Also here is a link to the current rates at the FX Trader Cambios: http://www.gracekennedy.com/fx-trader-rates

User Info Menu

Thanks much Ras, I am bringing 4 ladies, they loved the chart I gave them last year................

[/url]

User Info Menu

85 to 1 has sort of been the going rate the last couple of years that we went. I always use the cambino to exchange money as the airport ones tend to give very bad rates. We always convert to American to before we go as we get a better rate using American than Canadian....even though last year the CAD$ was worth more than the American when we were down there.
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    We always convert to American to before we go as we get a better rate using American than Canadian....even though last year the CAD$ was worth more than the American when we were down there.
    I could be wrong but it seems to me there's a cost every time currency is converted. With that in mind I tend to withdraw J's from the ATM. That way its a straight one time conversion form Canadian to Jamaican dollars which I assume is at the best rate possible. I've never really sat down to figure out if it actually is the best method though. I do it mainly for convenience. It's a bonus if it's also the best rate.

Has anyone crunched the numbers?

User Info Menu

I have an American Savings Account through my bank so it doesn't really cost me much of anything. They gave me the account for nothing when I signed my last mortgage with them.
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

I used an online currency converter to convert 1 $CA to $US to $JA then compared to 1$CA to $JA. You gain .02$Jam going the long way. I'm sure the difference is round-up error since the source of the conversion rates was the same and I don't think markup was included. You may get luckier by doing the conversion is 2 steps in 2 different banks on 2 different days.

User Info Menu

I just take down C$ put it in my Safety box and exchange it as I need it at the cambio or hotel for J$.
    That way I don't have to deal with the Bank machines - my experience is the bank machines are either out of money or don't work. Also there are always lines at the bank machines and its hot in town.

The only problem is that once you've converted to J$ - the bills seem to evaporate when exposed to the elements.

K3
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

What and where are cambio's?

User Info Menu

If the exchange rate is 85 to 1,couldn't you just go 100 to 1,tip included?