Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In 10 years, we will lose the beach and it will be the end of the industry as we know

Administrator

User Info Menu

Kritter,

The "time lapse" of photo of 14 years does reveal a lot. The two photos show no loss at all. The study mentioned in the article of the original post stated that 1 to 2 meters (100 to 200cm or 3 to 6 feet) is gone per year. If that were true, it would be obvious in any two 14 year time lapse photos. The photos do express my point. The study mentioned in the article cannot be taken as "gospel". The evidence is visible to anyone that it cannot be true.

But the study you mention by the University was not quoted in the article and relates a completely different scenario. The conclusion that 23 cm (about 9 inches) per year from "gradual loss, but rather episodic" from storms paints a completely different story as related in the article.

While I agree raising awareness is great, the article mentioned in the original post was far from a great resource of factual information.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I get your point, Rob .... in reference to the article ... it was misleading in its incomplete disclosure. But it has stimulated a lot of discussion and dialog in the community - and I see that as a move in the right direction.
    Respect ......
    Last edited by Kritter; 01-21-2012 at 02:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Rastagirl .... you make me soooo jealous at this moment. A bad day at the beach in Negril with 'no-beach', is still better than a freezing day in Michigan buried in snow ....
    Name:  IMAG0075.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  93.8 KB