Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice quick - Freaking out over recent Negril Escape review on T.A.

User Info Menu

Need advice quick - Freaking out over recent Negril Escape review on T.A.

We are booked into Back to Africa at Negril Escape. We stayed at Treehouse & Catcha last year. Wife loved Catcha and the quite of the cliffs but the Gemini we wanted was booked and at the time did not want to pony up the extra for one of the new suites.
    I just read a new review on T.A. that scared the bejezuz out of me regarding N.E. and am considering a different hotel. I see the Westender which Sweetness loved so much has Oceanside deluxe #7 available during our time frame and also the Dolphin Suite. #7 is more my price range but would consider Dolphin if it is worth it. Westender is a little further away from things than I like but it is right up the wifes alley.
    Any input on these two rooms ? Looking for an ocean view with A.C. and T.V.
    Any hotel other suggestions? We would be lucky to find one that meets the criteria at this late date.

Part 2 - Should I be this freaked out about the review? The conditions this reviewer described and the photos have me worried.

Steve
    [http://daisypath.com]

User Info Menu

I've never stayed there but a friend did a few years back. It definitely isn't in the same class with Treehouse & Catcha from what I understand. Most of the complaints, like no coffee maker, no luggage rack etc. show that this traveller is used to staying somewhere much more posh, I laughed at alot of them The only concerns I would have are leaking roofs & lack of hot water...that would suck. Soooo, the comfort level is under what you're used to, I'd check out some other properties!

User Info Menu

Westender is lovely but it is OUT THERE. Not just a "little further" out of town - a lot further. Now, they do have vans that shuttle their guests into town and the beach I believe. If you want isolation and quiet you might consider that.

There are so many cliff properties. As stated, for what you are used to and like you might want to look at Rockhouse, Tensing Pen even Xtabi's Sea Front cabins.

Negril Escape is a nice property in a great location but is definitely nothing fancy.

User Info Menu

I don't know about Negril Escape, BUT you can not go wrong staying at the Westender. Class operation all the way! It's further out, but I think that is part of the charm. Everything is only a cab ride away.

User Info Menu

Morning - just saw your post. Loved the Westender and although far west, Jermaine is available to carry you anywhere you want to go at any time night or day for a very reasonable rate. SO I popped into webcasts and hung out at the beach, etc. when I wanted to. Dolphin is beautiful but no balcony in that suite so that is a deal breaker for me. Not sure which #7 is but if its facing the sea with a balcony those rooms have amazing views. Standard nice accomodations in those rooms. The Cactus and Almond and Penthouse gardenside (my room) are comparable to Catcha. I would also recommend Tensing Pen (breakfast included) for an upscale resort on West end. I have always wanted to try Banana Shout but not sure if they have AC (this time of year though you shouldn't need it on the cliffs). If you can afford Catcha it is in my opinion the best place to stay on the cliffs (Rockhouse, Caves and Villa Sur Mer out of my range lol).

I always take reviews with a grain of salt. I prefer to get a boardie's recommendation. I did not enjoy staying at Negril Escape but I can't really explain why so I am not much help there. Keep asking questions, then look for deals and always call personally and negotiate a good rate is my advice. Good luck - enjoy your reach.
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Call Catcha and see if they can work out something for you - there is not a bad room on the property.
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Thanks to all for the opinions. I'm sure my wife would love the Westender. I like to walk around and check places out. I prefered the beach and she prefered the Cliffs. I picked N.E. because it was close enough to walk to many of the places I wanted to check out like DaBar and others. It had a fridge I could stock with drinks, left overs, etc... and the view looked great. I do not need fancy but leaky roof, hot water, and the bugs are a no go. I want this to be a great experience for both of us but her in particular. She just got word she is loosing her job after 35 years there. She is getting some sort of severance. We don't know the details yet but it is not looking like anything great and they have no pension.
    This may be our last trip. I hope not Her must haves are A.C, at the top of the list. (She is still battling those hot flashes). T.V., room for her make up stuff, balcony prefferably ocean / sunset view. On site restaurant would be preferable. Don't plan to eat every meal there but it would be nice if available.
    Nice to have fridge, microwave, coffee maker. I am sure at this late date I'll be lucky to find what I want.
    Well anyway I've been web surfing and will be looking into some of the place you mentioned. Xtabi, Rockhouse, Sunset on the cliffs, Westender ( Too far out for me).
    I think Brasi of Gerry G stayed at Sunset on the Cliffs but said they would not be returning but did not say why. Right now Sunset looks good and is close to other places. Any input would be appreciated. I plan to swicth A.S.A.P.
    Thank You
    Steve

User Info Menu

Xtabi I'm not sure if it has AC, but i will vouch for Westender Inn -- that place is amazing .... Sunset on the Cliffs is nice but a bit rustic plus major security issues. Sometimes, there is no security at all out front at night .... Also, there was an issue of theft from one of the rooms ....

User Info Menu

Thanks gerryg - sunset is out. Betty is on her laptop right now watching videos from Westender, I keep hearing her say this looks nice, what a pretty view, etc... LOL I think the search might be over .
    Also found Home Sweet Home. Any quick feed back?

Steve

User Info Menu

O.K. I knew it was over when I heard her remarks while watching some videos of the Westender. We have booked an oceanfront deluxe for 9 nites.
    Thanks all for listening and advising
    Steve