Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Concerned about the fires

User Info Menu

Smile Concerned about the fires

Hello!
    We are leaving in a few days for Negril, and my husband has asthma. We have heard that the fires in the morass are very bad and the air quality not good. This was a few days ago. Have things improved any since then? Thanks so much!

User Info Menu

Iam now in Negril and it is OK all over
    clear sky
    it is alll good
    the smoke was only for a short time two days and it is over there is nothing left to
    be burn for a very very long time
    Ben

Administrator

User Info Menu

Julie,

I also have asthma, so I can relate to your husband's concerns. No worries, as mentioned above the fire burned itself out about a week ago and all is clear as this picture I took today shows. See you soon!

Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

There is still smoke, mostly to the south part of the morass. It was burning near Couples Swept Away a few days ago. When the wind shifts it comes in on the beach. I was at Angela's for pizza last night and part of the road going there was quite smokey. It has improved a lot over the past few days and is not nearly as bad. Was at the lighthouse tonight and it was clear the entire drive back.

Administrator

User Info Menu

RastaCrab,

I was on the beach road all day, and didnt see any smoke that I couldnt attribute to a jerk pan.... and when I came back past the lighthouse it seemed equally clear as you saw...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

You can still see a little smoke towards the southern end of the morass. And it is very evident at sunset (that brown haze). Last night we could smell it in Hanover. It was not thick and is much better this week. As Rob noted, didn't see any along the beach road all day except where the jerk burners congregated. As long as we have a sea breeze, it is wonderful. Only when the winds shifted to be off the hills did we smell it.

User Info Menu

Every year, it seems

Every year the Morass has some kind of fire. Never know when it will be. If there has been a recent one, you're probably quite safe in going, since most of the flamables in the morass will have been consumed.

I've been there when the smoke was very thick. Other times just a little, and varied with the wind. A few years ago ( I have pix somewhere) Sandals had a real problem with all their smoke detectors going off all the time.

Dave
    It's these changes in latitude, changes in attitude
    Nothing remains quite the same.
    With all of our running and all of our cunning,
    If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
    Jimmy Buffett

User Info Menu

Name:  DSC_0568.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  92.7 KB

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone, for your kind help. I am leaving this morning to begin the long journey to Jamaica (So. CA.!) and will arrive there on Tuesday. It looks like the fires won't be a big issue for us. If it becomes a problem, we will just have to move to another part of the Island. Hope that doesn't happen, as we love Negril! Also hope that these issues can be resolved, so that there will be no more fires. We have stayed at the Charela several times, and talked with the owner about the problem, how it started and how the issues need to be addressed. Sadly, it doesn't seem likely? I did read her article that was on this web site the other day. Can't wait to get to my favorite vacation spot! :-)