Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gettin' the J$'s

User Info Menu

Gettin' the J$'s

What's the exchange rate (US$-J$) at the Cambio now? Does anyone exchange ahead of time? At the airport? wait 'til Negril? I used to be sure to have some small US bills to cover incidentals and road trip expenses, , and wait 'til the destination to change a roll. Is that still best?
    What's so funny 'bout Peace, Love and Understanding?

User Info Menu

$85 or $86 yesterday.

User Info Menu

don't change it at the air port , bad rate,, 2 miles from airport on the hip strip you can change money if you want JA dollars right away, or jest wait till you get to negril

User Info Menu

Guir: I'd suggest that your plan is a good one. Like, maybe get $50 in 5s...and $50 in ones, to last for your tipping in (save them and out, too). That is more than enough...

TIP: ask your cabbie NOT to stop 'til you get past Grand Palladium, somewhere in Lucea....if you want beers etc. The places just outside Mobay are redonk. I got 3 Red Stripes (2 me, one for cab driver LOL) in Lucea for $550J ish

The exchange rate was about 85-1...I'd wait til Negril to exchange... and if you'd rather just leave your money in the bank the ATMS dish out the Js....

The best ATM by my experience is at the Hi-Lo across from the sea wall just past the roundabout toward the West End.

The others seem to be out of currency quite often, and lines can be long.
    Last edited by brasi; 01-25-2012 at 12:17 PM.

User Info Menu

we save whatever J's we haven't spent when we leave JA and save them for the next trip (just put them with our passports in the safe deposit box)

picked up our passports yesterday and see we start with over $11,000J :woot:

User Info Menu

Homebrewer...that's what we usually do too. It makes for a pleasant surprise when you go looking and find some cash. I leave this up to my wife though as anything I have in pockets that last day in Negril quickly makes it into the hands of any outstanding servers and such I had run into.
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

Thanks everybody, found some good stuff in Limo Mon's Palms thread as well. You just need to read everything, eh?
    What's so funny 'bout Peace, Love and Understanding?

User Info Menu

My Jamaican Friend looks after us and we always wait until we get to Negril to change out our dollars. We generally have left overs from the previous trip that get us to Negril. Doesn't matter when I land I need to get a stripe or two in my hands to feel like I am at home!
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

Guirgay - I know LimoMon's thread and I encourage you to change your money to JMD. Do it at a Cambio - the rate today is 85.2-1. Don't change at the airport - the rate there is significantly lower.

User Info Menu

Guirigay,
    $US no problem.
    In fact a welcome $5 US tip actually saves like .75 US over 500 JA - you'll be rich with the savings.
    Seriously I had the same anxiety about having JA$, but no problem.

Also Scotia always had $ (US or JA) when I went and the lines were never bad at all - usually just one person ahead me or I could waltz right in.

Don't worry . . . bout a t'ing.