Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best and Worst experience with a vendor

User Info Menu

In the early 90's I was searching the beach for a hamburger . Hard to find in those dayz . When i finally found a stand selling burgers I noticed that hamburgers were 350ja and cheeseburgers were 300ja . After some thinking I decided to let the bartender/cook know about the mix up ...at which he replied ..ya mon ..cheese is cheap on the island !!! I still get a chuckle every time I think of that scene .... tings aren't always as they appear to be ..especially in Jamaica...

Sponsor

User Info Menu

I like to walk Long Bay in the morning with barefeet and a walking stick....A few bucks in my pocket for a Red Stripe at the Far Bar or Captains (now gone) nice 4 mile walk..... A guy walks next to me to sell me a CD...Sorry ,I have no cash.......He says,no problem.....He walks with me and asked me my name where Im from etc.............He then improvises and sings a personal song for me in like 30 seconds.....Very cool....I found him later and bought his CD......

User Info Menu

a first mate / booker for glass bottom tours, would supply me with consumable items of my choice. I was fully stocked and never need any of his services, however we enjoyed several weeks of coversations. Upon my departure i was able to give him my leftover reds stripes snacks and consumables. He wanted to pay me, i was shocked. I wittnesses the constant rejection he recieved day after day, and know he made very little money. I made a new friend free of charge

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    A few years backi met a gentleman who was missing a leg. We sat down at a picnic table for a chat. He pulled out a necklace with a small harmonica attached. I bought it from him and he said, "As long as you wear that necklace, you will never be without music." Probably not too interesting, but I thought it was kind of a profound statement.
    Sounds like this might be Elvis. Sweet guy, always cheerful.

User Info Menu

Love hearing all the stories...nice thread!! As most woman, I love to shop and peruse vendors tables...full of so many unique(well, sometimes ) items. After many trips and lots of shopping, I have learned to say no...and already have more items from JA that I really need. Now, I still love to check out everyone's items, mainly to show them respect. However, I love just talking to them and sharing my love for their island. Quite often, they end up sharing some of their opinions with me...or teaching me a few things about Jamaica, cooking..or just life.

My last visit in late Dec/early Jan was one of my best yet..and I didn't even think that was possible. Being a cliff dweller, I generally don't go to the beach much now, but I always have to take time to stroll the beach, see friends I have met along the years when I did stay on the beach. So, off I ventured for a day of pure relaxation. I generally stroll near the water so that I can feel the sea on mi feet. I stopped by several places we had stayed in the past, to meet up with old friends that worked there. Most of the folks were still there and it was heartwarming to see them all. After many "hug ups", I ventured further down to see my dear friend Niah.. The last 2 times in the past, I never got to see him. Guess it was slow season or maybe he just took a day off.

Anyhow, I reached the Wave Park area and was ready to venture in..when I noticed two tables of necklaces, and other goodies. I knew that I didn't need anything and quite frankly, was more focused on seeing Niah again. The two lady vendors were just sitting down on the sand talking to one another. I spoke to them and they both remained seated, as if they were more interested in having a nice "girl" chat rather than hit up a sales pitch. SO, we chatted for a while. It was GREAT..we talked about all sorts of things. I love to eat Jamaican food as well as attempt to cook it at home. So, we really got into some serious food talks. After about 20 minutes, I said that I must continue on to see mi friend from long time.

Then, I thought to myself...I haven't even looked at their wares....so, I told them I wanted to show respect and see what all they had,,even though I told them straight up that I really wasn't looking to buy anything today. Well, most of it was the normal stuff, but as usual, there was one necklace that was totally unique and had "me" written all over it. I picked it up and told the ladies that this one was really nice. She said the price was 10 US....which I knew was already a really reasonable price. I placed it back down on the table and told her the price was fair. I then decided to head off and thanked them for such a great conversation. They actually thanked me too!! Saying that they really enjoyed just chatting.

It actually warmed my heart. Then, the lady said, I know you don't need that necklace but you are really nice lady and I give it to you for 5 US. Trust mi mon, I knew that that was a TRUE bargain. Seriously, this necklace was da bomb.....with that offer, I had to smile. I told her, "Wow, that is a great price...and I can't possibly pass that up!" I reached into my purse, gave her the money and happily secured my new purchase. I then told her, don't worry yourself about a lada bag ,I'll just stuff it in my purse. With that, both ladies just cracked up that I knew the local name for those black plastic bags that everyone uses. I walked off with a smile that made my face hurt and thought again...just how wonderful this island is if you just take time to talk awhile..
    And, yes, I did get to see Niah this time. He remembered me and we hug up. He invites me into his kitchen, introduces me to his sister and wife. Hands me a homemade carved coconut shell that he did himself...refuses to take anything for it. He keeps saying how good it was to see old friend and keeps repeating to the ladies how long we had known each other. He asked about mi husband, who was not shopping with me...imagine that!! Then cooked me up a patty to take to him. Friendship like this.....priceless.........

User Info Menu

We met a guy named xxxxxxxxx who lived at Caribbean Delight about 8 years ago. He was originally from xxxxxxxxx. He sold smoke and did tours like a lot of the guys on the beach. The first day we met him we just hung out and talked for a few hours. He had to walk go into town to pick up his mail and asked if we wanted to tag along. First stop was down at one of the fish places by the craft market where he introduced us to his cousin and bought us a drink. Then we went to a place in town where he stopped to have lunch and he actually bought us lunch and wouldn't let us pay for it. Then he got his mail and took us to the caves at Xtabi and gave us the tour. He found out we had never been to Ricks so on we went. He had us give him the money to buy some drinks because the bartenders give the locals a discount. We visited him many times on our trips and had great times for quite a few years and he never asked us for a thing and very seldom would even let us buy him a drink. But about two years ago or so we went and he had gone back to Mandeville. We miss him but were blessed to have him as a friend to show us all the great things there.
    Last edited by Prism; 01-26-2012 at 01:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Love hearing all the stories...nice thread!! As most woman, I love to shop and peruse vendors tables...full of so many unique(well, sometimes ) items. After many trips and lots of shopping, I have learned to say no...and already have more items from JA that I really need. Now, I still love to check out everyone's items, mainly to show them respect. However, I love just talking to them and sharing my love for their island. Quite often, they end up sharing some of their opinions with me...or teaching me a few things about Jamaica, cooking..or just life.

My last visit in late Dec/early Jan was one of my best yet..and I didn't even think that was possible. Being a cliff dweller, I generally don't go to the beach much now, but I always have to take time to stroll the beach, see friends I have met along the years when I did stay on the beach. So, off I ventured for a day of pure relaxation. I generally stroll near the water so that I can feel the sea on mi feet. I stopped by several places we had stayed in the past, to meet up with old friends that worked there. Most of the folks were still there and it was heartwarming to see them all. After many "hug ups", I ventured further down to see my dear friend Niah.. The last 2 times in the past, I never got to see him. Guess it was slow season or maybe he just took a day off.

Anyhow, I reached the Wave Park area and was ready to venture in..when I noticed two tables of necklaces, and other goodies. I knew that I didn't need anything and quite frankly, was more focused on seeing Niah again. The two lady vendors were just sitting down on the sand talking to one another. I spoke to them and they both remained seated, as if they were more interested in having a nice "girl" chat rather than hit up a sales pitch. SO, we chatted for a while. It was GREAT..we talked about all sorts of things. I love to eat Jamaican food as well as attempt to cook it at home. So, we really got into some serious food talks. After about 20 minutes, I said that I must continue on to see mi friend from long time.

Then, I thought to myself...I haven't even looked at their wares....so, I told them I wanted to show respect and see what all they had,,even though I told them straight up that I really wasn't looking to buy anything today. Well, most of it was the normal stuff, but as usual, there was one necklace that was totally unique and had "me" written all over it. I picked it up and told the ladies that this one was really nice. She said the price was 10 US....which I knew was already a really reasonable price. I placed it back down on the table and told her the price was fair. I then decided to head off and thanked them for such a great conversation. They actually thanked me too!! Saying that they really enjoyed just chatting.

It actually warmed my heart. Then, the lady said, I know you don't need that necklace but you are really nice lady and I give it to you for 5 US. Trust mi mon, I knew that that was a TRUE bargain. Seriously, this necklace was da bomb.....with that offer, I had to smile. I told her, "Wow, that is a great price...and I can't possibly pass that up!" I reached into my purse, gave her the money and happily secured my new purchase. I then told her, don't worry yourself about a lada bag ,I'll just stuff it in my purse. With that, both ladies just cracked up that I knew the local name for those black plastic bags that everyone uses. I walked off with a smile that made my face hurt and thought again...just how wonderful this island is if you just take time to talk awhile..
    And, yes, I did get to see Niah this time. He remembered me and we hug up. He invites me into his kitchen, introduces me to his sister and wife. Hands me a homemade carved coconut shell that he did himself...refuses to take anything for it. He keeps saying how good it was to see old friend and keeps repeating to the ladies how long we had known each other. He asked about mi husband, who was not shopping with me...imagine that!! Then cooked me up a patty to take to him. Friendship like this.....priceless.........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne View Post
    Sounds like this might be Elvis. Sweet guy, always cheerful.
    On our first non AI visit to Negril, my wife bought a bracelet from Elvis, and got his "lifetime guarantee" on the purchase. He told us that the bracelet would last a lifetime and if it ever broke to bring it back and he would replace it. Upon our return home, my wife snagged the bracelet and broke it. Being the frugal person she is, it was placed in her jewelry box and was to be repaired at a later date.

About a year goes by and we are back in Negril taking our first stroll up the beach and we stop in to see Elvis. He doesn't remember us and goes into his sales pitch and mentions the lifetime guarantee. My wife tells him that she bought a bracelet last year with the lifetime guarantee and proceeds to pull it out of her bag in two pieces. As he sees the broken bracelet a look of shock came to his face that was soon interrupted by hysterical laughter by the two other vendors set up next to him. The male vendor was pretty easy on Elvis, but the woman was relentless going on about how she told him over and over his guarantee was going to come back to haunt him one day. After the laughter subsided my wife then proceeded to pick out a new bracelet that she bought from him instead of asking for her free replacement.

User Info Menu

WOW...what great stories!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbizek View Post
    I avoided all the souviner shops with non JA proprietress, I want my money to stay in Jamican hands when all possible.
    Jbizek...just a bit curious as to how one would know which places have non JA proprietors?

User Info Menu

Quite simple. Anything that has been "hand made" and doesn't say "made in China" on the label.