Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best and Worst experience with a vendor

User Info Menu

Best and Worst experience with a vendor

i'd love to read about your experiences with vendors- funny- scarry- happy and sad
    Woman! Wake me when its time to go! Ouch!!
    Ok Sweety would you like me to set the alarm so we dont miss our flight-

I love you buttercup lol

User Info Menu

Near Sunbeach, a Rasta offered to make me a personalized bracelet. He was really a quiet guy, a little guy, with a weak sales pitch but I had him make me a couple of bracelets for people back home while I bought us a couple of beers. We ended up talking for an hour, mostly about the country and how he lived in the hills with land and chickens. I told him how cool I thought it must be, to wake up to fresh eggs and fresh veg. The next day I was told that he was looking for me. When we met up he pulled some rags from his bag and presented me proudly with 2 fresh Duck eggs and some Ackee. He also showed me how to prepare the Ackee. I tried to give him some money but he refused it. I didn't push it. The eggs were fantastic. Now one of my favorite moments is when we meet up and share some time over a couple of beers. Most of the other vendors usually bring out a chuckle in me.

User Info Menu

My favorite happened last Oct when we were just in for a one day cruise docking. After hitting the usual Negril stops, we went to the little shopping center attached to the Hi Lo for some shopping. I avoided all the souviner shops with non JA proprietress, I want my money to stay in Jamican hands when all possible. I found a shop with a sweet lady, it had been raining all day and she was pushing me hard. I finally told her no worries, I was there to spend and got down to haggling. I ended up spending around 100 American and she was in tears with happiness and started throwing in bracelets for the kids and a lighter. I promised to look her up next time and I will this July.
    Worst was my husband and mine first trip. Not Togo into to much detail, we were on the beach and an older guy asked if we needed any...uh...consumables which we were low on so I said yes. He walks me to the side of the stand and pulls the product out oh his shorts! Ew. Was to stunned to refuse and the crotch smoke ended up being wose than ditch smoke.

User Info Menu

Crotch smoke....LMFAO!!!!

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

Ok we called it Crotch Weed and it was bad. I wasn't aware bad smoke even existed in JA!

User Info Menu

Ditto on Kevin in PA! Crotch smoke. I can't think of a thing to beat that story. And the Oscar goes to .....

That's freakin' hilarious!

User Info Menu

A few years backi met a gentleman who was missing a leg. We sat down at a picnic table for a chat. He pulled out a necklace with a small harmonica attached. I bought it from him and he said, "As long as you wear that necklace, you will never be without music." Probably not too interesting, but I thought it was kind of a profound statement.

User Info Menu

Not wishing to spoil the man's business.
    BUT
    At a lovely beach ( not Negril) A young man was attracting tourists to visit at the Bob Marley Tree. This tree happened to be the only shade on a long beach close to several A.I. hotels. He had all his wares set up . Mostly CDs , beaded rasta chains and of course his main product He was telling how his Father Bob Marley used to sit under this very tree for inspiration and would have written many of his greatest songs there.
    After some banter I asked him how old he was. He claimed to be 26 and I am sure he was exagerating. ( R.I.P Brother Bob, May 11 1981) I had such a laugh with him and his bredrin that when I visited the beach I would hang out at the Bob Marley tree to listen to the stories he would tell prospective customers. I also purchase some nice souvenirs from them

Lol

User Info Menu

it was not my intention when i posted this but it really got me thinking about all the trips i've been on-

one time in romano DR, where you are hasseled all day by vendors, i noticed a very old lady i mean she must have been 90- she was walking around with and i'm not kidding at leaset 150 sun dresses, every morning she would pass and look at us but never approached to sell anything-

she just smiled as she passed-

on my last morning i approached her and gave her an american 50- i didnt want anything but out of the same respect for her she showed for us i had to do it.

she was beside her self- i got a picture and a kiss on the cheek
    Woman! Wake me when its time to go! Ouch!!
    Ok Sweety would you like me to set the alarm so we dont miss our flight-

I love you buttercup lol

User Info Menu

It takes a bit of getting used to but eventually you learn that sometimes its OK to say no. About six years ago on one of our first trips to Jamaica we stayed in Ocho Rios at a RIU property. We went with friends of ours. We walked down the beach to the craft market next door to the property. I watched for a half an hour while my wife and the other lady bought an item from everyone on the beach. I got rooked into a necklace to which I still wear today. We spent so much because we didn't know how to say no. I too now look for the one or two vendors on the beach that don't pester us too much and that is where I go spend money all the time.
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]