Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Hiking near Negril

User Info Menu

Hiking near Negril

Hi,

My husband and I are heading to Negril for a week in March. We are pretty athletic, regularly hike and enjoy spending time outdoors.

We would like to do a day hiking trip within an hour or two of Negril. We do not want to go to one of the touristy spots. We would rather see nature and more of Jamaican culture.

We have talked to a few private tour people recommended on here but they always want to take us to one of the tourist spots that charge admission and remind me of going to a rustic amusement park. I am not adverse to paying for a tour but would rather not be surrounded by other tourists.

Any suggestions would be great!! Thanks

Keltie

User Info Menu

check out Zimbali retreat. stayed there ;last year and went on several hikes up in the bush. Unbelievable views of negril and south coast from up on Canaan Mt

User Info Menu

Zimbali is a really good idea! I really like to just take off down the little roads on the west end. Walking along the road (as long as you are careful) is great with adventures around every bend. Take a walk around Red Ground...nice trip. Also, if walking further west toward the lighthouse and on....really quiet and much less traffic. When you come to the Y in the road at Out of Town Pastry(if you get there early, you will be in for a treat with their patties and coco bread) if you head toward the right, you will end up by Jackies on the Reef and Westender. Then if you are adventurous, other roads to head up. The road to the left...?Hylton?? another nice walk. So many cool little bars to drift into along the way and of course, some great people.

We have done most of the tours, so sometimes we pre-arrange with a driver, and ask him to just take us inna da country. We have really enjoyed that!! We stopped many times, swam in a stream with bamboo surrounding us(the plants not the other big bamboo, LOL) Our driver was really great about letting us venture out a while. You are going to have a great time!!