Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Large' CLEAN THE RIVER Protest Rally on the Bridge Today

User Info Menu

'Large' CLEAN THE RIVER Protest Rally on the Bridge Today

Didn't really get what it was they wanted, exactly, other that the obvious . . .

Name:  Protest.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  100.4 KB
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

Yes, the river does desperately need to be cleaned and "they" need to provide environmental education and perhaps actually employ some people to clean up trash and oil spills, and monitor the river in order to keep it clean. Once the water quality goes, Negril is done for....

User Info Menu

Good for them!! Nice to see the folks of Negril caring about this!! I agree with goldilocks, environmental education is a must. Looks like this could be a good opportunity for we "boardies" to get involved and maybe help them with some clean up. I'm sure it would be amazing the results that could be...if we all pitched in! I know I would be willing to help if we could get some organization. Of course, local input would be a must. I would have no idea what to do with the garbage, etc..so it could be properly dealt with, etc. So many of us know Vincent and since all the boats are kept there..that would be a person that might be influential. ??Any ideas from others on this?

User Info Menu

I think there should also be a "Clean The Bridge" Rally

User Info Menu

Well, perhaps they could motivate those who gain the most from the river(also may be the same people who do the most harm to the river) to clean it up. It is in their best interest to have a healthy river from which to make a living. An all-day flotilla of glass bottom boats pulling junk out of the river would add a lot of goodwill to those operators....good karma is always rewarded! They could even enlist guests, offering a free snorkeling outing afterward, with maybe a beach bbq of fresh caught fish? It is easy enough done...line up the boats/captains, get the hotels to put up flyers or distribute flyers to guests and make it a big party day...SAVE THE NEGRIL RIVER AND THEN SNORKEL, EAT AND DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY.....IT WILL BE....HOT.........HOT.......HOt......so very....................HOT. LOL

Who is with me on this? I bet Famous Vincent would be up for it! The Kuyaba boat too! Just have sanitation drop of a roll-roll container for the junk and its good to go!
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon

User Info Menu

I think they should fix the missing guard rail ballusters. That is crazy dangerous!

User Info Menu

OG.NR has obtained a press release by the National Water Commission which has refuted allegations that its Sewage Treatment Plant is polluting the South Negril River by the National Environment & Planning Agency (NEPA).
    The NWC says it has done its own investigation and has found no evidence to substantiate the allegations made and is advising the public that the Negril wastewater treatment facility was recently rehabilitated.
    See full Press Release below:

The National Water Commission (NWC) notes with concern a release from the National Environment & Planning Agency (NEPA) alleging that the National Water Commission’s Negril Sewage Treatment Plant is malfunctioning and is the cause of a “pollution incident”. The National Water Commission (NWC) has since investigated the matter and wishes to advise the public that it has found no evidence that the Negril wastewater treatment facility is “malfunctioning” or is the cause of what is being described as a “pollution incident” in the South Negril River.

The National Water Commission also wishes to point out that the Negril Wastewater Treatment Ponds were recently rehabilitated and are now, based both on the empirical scientific data and easily observable aesthetic presentations, operating at a much improved level. Our preliminary analysis of the Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD) from discharged effluent from the ponds indicates that the ponds are not contributing negatively to the health of the river.

In fact, while NEPA has provided no scientific basis for its allegation, the ponds are teeming with a large, healthy fish population, a normal biological indicator of the health of a pond. NWC's on-going monitoring over the past month also shows no evidence of untreated sewage being discharged into the South Negril River from the wastewater ponds

Furthermore, it would appear from the statement issued by NEPA that no other possible cause of pollution has been or is being considered even in the face of clear evidence that many other activities in the area impact the river and that the virtual blockage of the mouth of the river could also contribute to poor water quality.
    In the interest of getting to the real cause of the problem and implementing effective and sustainable solutions to the benefit of all concerned, the National Water Commission continues to investigate the matter and urges that evidence-based analysis be used to determine the cause of this unfortunate situation.
    The National Water Commission remains available to work closely with the National Environment & Planning Agency (NEPA) and all other relevant stakeholders to resolve this matter.

User Info Menu

I've seen numerous public service announcement commercials on the JA TV stations re: polluting & cleaning up the environment. They need to get RE TV to play them, not just the major stations.

User Info Menu

Perhaps an even bigger threat to the Negril water quality are what I understand to be the gas/oil tankers that are being allowed to go past Negril seemingly to get to Sav. One wrong move with one of those- and the entire west coast of the island is ruined. They do seem to be oil/gas tankers and it's hard to believe that this is allowed to go on, because of how much is being put at risk, but the boats are seen slowly traversing out in front of Negril again and again. If anyone has any information on that somehow these are not what they appear to be and do NOT in fact carry oil/gas do please explain and put this to rest. Thanks.

User Info Menu

There is a lot of pollutants coming from Septic Tanks and farm run off. It is evident from the algae that has bloomed throughout the Negril and Bloody Bay reefs. There are caves throughout the area, and run off into the caves, some of which are being used as septic tanks and trash dumps makes its way to the river and to the sea. Dealing with this run off and illegal dumping of trash and sewage remains a problem.
    Another problem is the development of areas that once were swamps and mangroves. These areas were natural filters and nurseries for many of the fish species that frequent the reef. It is no coincidence that problems with the reef and rivers coincide with the loss of these swamps and mangroves.
    A real and complete study of the Negril ecosystem along with a development moratorium needs to be done. After all, once the reef is degraded and the fish gone, so goes the beach and then Negril.