Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The shark video

User Info Menu

Marley,
    I knew I could count on you.
    I almost PM'd you on this.
    I wish Gerryg would put his pragmatic 2 cents in.

Regardless, Marley you said pretty much what I hoped you would say.
    I too thought it was a sad video.

Maybe I'll push the envelope here: I thought it was prejudice run amok.

Sorry about the bad dreams Clarity.
    I look at it this way, there are sharks in the oceans.
    Just because we don't see sharks doesn't mean they aren't there.
    Hell there are giant squids too, and they may be as smart as us.
    The west end road is ten times more dangerous than the ocean and yet we don't think twice about walking that road.

I'm scared of sharks but it won't keep me out the ocean anymore that the fear of being squashed by a car will keep me from walking the road.
    Mathematically the odds against me on the road are much higher than the odds against me in the sea.

Oh well, I just hate seeing an animal killed for no other reason than it's there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tfw73 View Post
    Well, I have had an encounter with a smaller shark (two and a half feet, approximate) in the Florida panhandle before. I never knew that I could jump as high as Michael Jordan before that day....LOL
    LOL! Same thing happened to me with a big arse shark off of Navarre beach. I was running on top of the water while my wife, who was still in the water, stared at me like WTF? I yelled shark, but she must have not heard me. The only reason I knew was because a girl was yelling at me as I popped up from snorkeling. The shark was around 10 ft and got way to close for comfort. Booger don't play sharks. No sir......

User Info Menu

No, Marley, you are not alone. I feel exactly the same way. Live and let live.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Oh well, I just hate seeing an animal killed for no other reason than it's there.

I agree Rum-polephoreskin

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rum-polephoreskin View Post
    Marley,
    I knew I could count on you.
    I almost PM'd you on this.
    I wish Gerryg would put his pragmatic 2 cents in.

Regardless, Marley you said pretty much what I hoped you would say.
    I too thought it was a sad video.

Maybe I'll push the envelope here: I thought it was prejudice run amok.

Sorry about the bad dreams Clarity.
    I look at it this way, there are sharks in the oceans.
    Just because we don't see sharks doesn't mean they aren't there.
    Hell there are giant squids too, and they may be as smart as us.
    The west end road is ten times more dangerous than the ocean and yet we don't think twice about walking that road.

I'm scared of sharks but it won't keep me out the ocean anymore that the fear of being squashed by a car will keep me from walking the road.
    Mathematically the odds against me on the road are much higher than the odds against me in the sea.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes to all of that!
    Thank you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    No, Marley, you are not alone. I feel exactly the same way. Live and let live.
    Thank you, so glad to see others agree!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marley9808 View Post
    Well yes, let me also add that in Florida it can be a lot different than in the Caribbean. Where I live in Florida we have a lot of Bull Sharks which are the most aggressive sharks, they will attack for no reason, but most sharks do not attack for no reason like that. Bull sharks are responsible for most of the deaths in Florida.
    Either way, I am not saying don't be afraid. Be afraid all you want to, you should be. They can be dangerous, they can be massive, but they are not being anything beyond what they are. So if you see one, get out of the water sure. But I don't think they should be killed simply for being a shark, that is all I am saying.
    But then again, like I said, I am usually outnumbered here and I get that and I accept it.
    But I just think the poor animals are being killed too often. Look at Shark Fin soup in China, that is ridiculous. So here we are, humans going into their habitat and killing them for whatever reason, for their fins, or just because they are sharks, etc. so in that sense sharks should be just as scared of humans as we are of them (if they had feelings like that) but they don't jump out of the water and walk up on land if they happen to see a human walking by just so they can kill them because WE might kill them. I know that might be a silly analogy but FAR more sharks are killed by humans than the other way around, and we have the audacity to swim in their home and then kill them if they come too close to us....ok I will stop.....like I said before I am not the best one to share my feelings on this.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming.
    Sorry for the rant...lol
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't think sharks should be killed just for being, well, a shark. I couldn't even watch that Youtube video because it is upsetting to me. We are entering their habitat, we should expect to see sharks and other marine life.

I remember it so clearly. It was surreal, my first thought was, "Wow that is the biggest catfish I have ever seen..." Then bam, it hit me, lol. It's a shark!!!! I can't believe how quickly I got out of the water. Of course, when I yelled shark there were some fools following it...in the water!

User Info Menu

LOL...don't you wish you could always swim as fast as you can in the moment you see a shark or even just (as my husband says) the moment something brushes your leg in the water
    LOL...I probably would have been one of the fools.....well, depending on the species of course! ha

User Info Menu

mi went snorkeling last week quite a few times and never saw any sharks..........
    or any large fish for that matter........nice peaceful snorkeling.......

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marley9808 View Post
    LOL...don't you wish you could always swim as fast as you can in the moment you see a shark or even just (as my husband says) the moment something brushes your leg in the water
    LOL...I probably would have been one of the fools.....well, depending on the species of course! ha
    My husband WAS one of those fools, lol! I had to ask him what the h*ll was he doing, following a SHARK?!?!?!

Another time when our daughter was about six we were in the water, almost to our waist. All of a sudden a little school of fish started jumping and I panicked. So I yelled at my husband, "Get our kid out of the water!" He picked her up and THREW her on the beach LOL. Then he turned to me and asked what happened and I explained what happened. He looked at me like I was crazy. I said hey, something was chasing those fish! He just looked at me like I was crazy.