Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Ackee and Saltfish all day long?

User Info Menu

Ackee and Saltfish all day long?

Are there any restaurants that make these delicious dish all day? I like it for dinner.

User Info Menu

No..!!..

IF you want ackee & saltfish,
    i suggest you ask somebody to get the ingredients
    and
    make it for you

hopefully,
    they'll be able to *find* the ackee,
    which is going to be tricky-tricky around Negril

the saltfish will be easy to find.

your best-bet is::>> on your FIRST-DAY, make it known that you want the dish. For example, tell/ask your housekeeper:: (1) to find the stuff at Sav or Lucea market, and (2) to prepare the dish.

if you're lucky,
    some-somebody *might* have some growing in their neighborhood and can get/pick/beg the ackee.

Eventhough ackee is the national dish, it's a '.dear.' item.

Since it's been a long-time since Jamaica has had a hurricane,
    the ackee trees might/should be doing well

ackee & saltfish is one those Jamaican things, that most tourist-foreigners avoid ---- kinda sorta like riding in a route-taxi.
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

Smith, you're humor is superb!!!

As Smith said, best to talk with a few vendors or eating establishments ahead of time. Many will do all they can to make you happy. I tend to like mine without saltfish, preferring it either plain or mixed with some veg....love calaloo with mine. Ras Rody pon da cliffs generally has ackee (no saltfish) since he is ital...either has calalloo or pop chow, which is very similar. He is open in the afternoons and early evening.

Talk with Juliet, as Sharks near RR and Tensing Pen, she is quite the cook and will often look around or shop for personal requests. There are many local spots around that are more likely to have it...so, talk with the locals and route taxi drivers, for they know the best places IMHO. Good luck and don't be timid about trying any dishes that you aren't familiar with...some of my new favorites, I never dreamed about eating before turned out to be some great stuff. So many different vegetables and stews that are really awesome!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iteachdetroit View Post
    Are there any restaurants that make these delicious dish all day? I like it for dinner.
    YES!
    Bentley at Bentley Crab House would love to make it for you for dinner!
    Just call Bentley at 876-393-6768 and tell him the day and time you want it!

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20