Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When do you become not a Newbie?

User Info Menu

Hmmm. you may no longer be a newbie-but will always be seen (for the most part and from the Jam locals) as an outsider-even if you been coming there your whole life on long term vacations... But not sure when you could officially take down the title of Newbie??? Traveling out into the country and staying at a place less traveled (not any of the big cities-major tourist destination) that would probably be one way-and Brasi's ways as well (esp the set-up at the bar and learning that buying a stranger/aquaintance a drink just aint worth it most the time) Your really catching on Brasi (LOL)
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

I've found, from observation, that even Yardies not born in an area that they choose to move to are considered "outsiders'...."ya nuh born here"

User Info Menu

My son Linston has returned home after 15 Yrs in America ....

A newbie ???? ....said he felt that way for a bit......
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

dunno.......but some of us are always goin to be newbies........
    right Bnewb.......lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

not a newbie,
    when you appreciate the importance of being able to effectively do the '.Chicken Dance.'

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    My son Linston has returned home after 15 Yrs in America ....
    A newbie ???? ....said he felt that way for a bit......
    Once upon a time,
    i had to photograph a wedding for a Lucea/Ja-buddy

his-bride,
    then-living for long-time in Canada,
    return-ing to her Ja-homeland to get married, told me (paraphrased):::>>> "..Bill..... I'm a person without a country ..... Not welcomed in Canada, and looked-upon as a foreigner in Jamaica.."
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

You're no longer a newbie when a Jamaican refers to you and your friends as Raggamuffings.
    Feb.1 - 16 Xtabi

[https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

The chicken dance ..LOL...and then doing it when its pouring down rain with all that Mud!!! I despise doing that dance-no matter how well I do it Mud still finds it way in.. What kind of chicken dance do you call that Smith when its raining buckets and the yard full of mud??? (LOL)
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

You're no longer a newbie when you recognize those that are. Don't need to parasail and snorkel in the same day. Don't need to get wasted and lose some or all of your money. Don't need to run out of money on day three of a seven day vacation. Don't need to go horseback riding on the beach. Don't need to go to Rick's with the rest of the newbies. Don't need to rent a scooter and come back with roadrash and a story to tell. Don't need to say yah mon to everybody you talk to. Just sit back, relax and enjoy the show! Let it come to you, because it will.

Soon come can't come soon enough!

User Info Menu

When "Yah, mon" is a regular part of your vocabulary

When you sit quietly when you hear a travel ad for Jamaica and they say "Once you go, you know" and you say to yourself "Yah, mon".
    When you plan your next trip on the plane home
    When you plan your next trip 2 months before you board the plane to leave for the upcoming one
    When Jamaican Customs says "welcome back"
    When you step off the plane and it pretty much feels like home

When all your friends, who know you love Jamaica, bring you to a local Jamaican resto and tell you this is the BEST Jamaican food, and it you know it's not!

When your heart tells you this is your place in the sun.

(#1 sign: When you join the Negril Message board because you need to know what's happening at home!)

So ... all that said, welcome to the club, Old Timer!

User Info Menu

For me, when you spend all day at the wharf in MoBay clearing barrels. For yourself.
    Tom Hudson
    Self-Employed CPA
    Founder, Domaine Hudson wine bar & eatery, Wilmington, DE