Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Sweet Home last week

User Info Menu

Home Sweet Home last week

Wanted to put something up fairly quickly about our resort as I've had a few inquiries and I wanted feedback bigtime when I was making my decision. Home Sweet Home ended up being a great location for Sweetie Pie and me. We are walkers and loved the location on the cliffs. Easy walk to town, right in the middle of the pub crawl, close to Xtabi, Bentleys, PeeWees, No Limit, Swordfish, German Bar, Canoe, Mi Yard. We walked for coffee every morning at Easy Rock - great coffee there. So I really liked the location. The property is beautiful, it has one of the best 4-5 cliff setups on the West End in my opinion. Everything is RIGHT on the cliffs, the rooms, the pool, the restaurant and a great series of sun decks and dives on the way down to the sea. The property is showing its age but it is well cared for. 40 years on the cliffs in the tropics with a couple of big hurricanes will put a little wear and tear on a place. The owner, Charlie from Minnesota, is on site throughout the high season I believe. He was there the whole week.

We had room 6, it was nice. We never closed the verandah doors the entire week. The tree to the left of our verandah had been trimmed and shaped to give us a tree limb framed view of the sea. It was very nice. we loved the verandah. Sweetie Pie said at the end it didn't feel like we'd spent enough time there even though it was always at least a couple of hours a day. There is air conditioning but we never used it. The bathroom is pretty spartan but functional. The shower is big enough for two but drains a little slow. You may be standing in water over your toes if you take a long shower. The only toiletries provided is bar soap. There's a great big high quality mirror on the wall running nearly the length of the bed and a couple of very nice prints on the wall. Daily housekeeping and I thought they did a good job.

It's a small resort, 14 rooms squeezed in between the road and the cliffs. A couple of big trees in the courtyard, a very nice section of grass. The second floor seaview suite is the primo unit on the property. You see nothing but the sea from that balcony and it's a big balcony. The two floor unit below is also very nice. it has three beds, a king upstairs that opens onto the balcony and two doubles downstairs. It has an impressive two floor glass window looking out at the sea.

Mostly couples stayed there last week. A group of four buddies was there the first couple of nights. It's a quiet place after 9 pm except for the guys playing dominoes those first couple of nights. You are close to the street so you're going to have some street noise. Dogs are part of Jamaican street life. Heard one get hit one night, that was sad. Sweetie Pie said the dogs were pretty loud Friday night but I had my last night drunk on and didn't hear but maybe one little outburst that could pull me out of my Appleton and Stones induced slumber. The rest of the week they were really a non-issue for us. A bark here and there. Miss Mae at Josephs Cave says the dogs bark when evil is about so I'm glad we were in by that time

The restaurant is OK, your bill there is seperate from the room and you need to settle with them seperately. I have a story I'll relate in my trip report that shouldn't reflect poorly on the restaurant but did did create a wierd association with the restaurant for the rest of the week for me. I'll say this, They make a great Dirty Banana. Friends said their Spanish Omlette was the best they'd ever had but we drank coffee and ate fruit for breakfast every morning. Coffee from the restaurant wasn't so good but I noticed a couple of folks apparently rented electric percolators from the hotel or restaurant and made coffee in their rooms. We ate around a lot so the restaurant wasn't a big part of our consideration. It was usually closed already when we came in for the evening and we weren't late nighters.

I would and probably will go there again. Maybe not the next trip as there may be some different components to it, but I really like the place. With taxes the room ran $880 for the week, pretty good I think for a clean, well maintained property with a private verandah and sea view on the cliffs.

Hope this helps those who asked Go and enjoy, we did!!
    What's so funny 'bout Peace, Love and Understanding?

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for the review. You satisfied me. My husband and I will be booking this for November.

User Info Menu

Years back , Pirate who was just married, ran that place for some time...........
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

Thanks for the report. I'm booked there for my next trip in April. Charlie the owner, called me,, sat everything up. Did you happened to take at Room 8?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the thorough report. The wife and I will be staying at HSH for the first time in April and you answered a lot of our questions.

One other question does come to mind: The website mentions 24 hour room service. How did that work out? We thought it would be nice to order a late night snack after an evening at the bars or even have breakfast delivered to our veranda. Did you have a chance to try it out?

User Info Menu

guirigay
    Thanks so much for the quick review. We are there next week for 11 days staying in the sunset suite room 14. Never been here so your review helps alot I did have some concerns. How was the security at HSH. While I usually do not do trip reports I will pay it forward like you so the others can get information on the place.
    Nick

User Info Menu

Juli - Room 8 was next to ours but we didn't go in. The verandah is a little more private because of the tree in front but I don't think the view is quite as nice as the one from 6 because of that. The same tree has been trimmed and shaped to give 6 a really cool view. 6 also has a king size bed.

the view of the sea from room 6 -

Name:  IMG_0654.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  90.6 KB

Mike - the kitchen was dark and the bar broken down every night we came back but maybe 1 or 2. I thought we might take advantage of the room service too but it seemed apparent we'd be having it prepared by the night staff if we asked so we didn't.

vikman - There are staff on site 24/7, we saw the night staff leave a few mornings when we were catching the sunrise. Charlie is on site full time this time of year. Never felt a problem with security. The Sunset suite is the only 3rd floor room there so the views should be pretty sweet.
    What's so funny 'bout Peace, Love and Understanding?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    Thanks for the thorough report. The wife and I will be staying at HSH for the first time in April and you answered a lot of our questions.

One other question does come to mind: The website mentions 24 hour room service. How did that work out? We thought it would be nice to order a late night snack after an evening at the bars or even have breakfast delivered to our veranda. Did you have a chance to try it out?
    Hi Mike - I stayed at HSH May of last year. Maybe because it was slow season, the place did not have the 24hr room service.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mzthan6 View Post
    Hi Mike - I stayed at HSH May of last year. Maybe because it was slow season, the place did not have the 24hr room service.
    mzthan6 and Guirigay, thanks for the info. I wasn't really expecting the 24 hour room service to be in full operation, but it would have been a nice option.
    Besides, there's always Mi Yard for 24 hour eats.

Anyway, it sounds like Home Sweet Home is just what we were expecting. Can't wait til April!

User Info Menu

Thanks, Guirigay! I got a really great deal, also. 62 more days!