Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: school supplies

User Info Menu

school supplies

can anyone offer info on just what the airline requires for school supplies. we leave in a week and have a suitcase full of school supplies, we have not ever brought that kind of stuff down and I am wondering if the airline will give us a had time in any way.........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by caz View Post
    can anyone offer info on just what the airline requires for school supplies. we leave in a week and have a suitcase full of school supplies, we have not ever brought that kind of stuff down and I am wondering if the airline will give us a had time in any way.........
    Nope..!!..

the airline won't/don't care

BUT:::::>>> Jamaican Customs agents *might* have concern$,
    and might charge you duty-fees

i would be sure to have at least US$200 in cash in-your-pocket, just in case you have to pay duty-fees on that stuff
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

I have a friend that brings supplies every year & if questioned you say your a teacher.

User Info Menu

so I should claim them and just say I am a teacher. I am a horrible liar!!!!!!!!! Hopefully they will not ask any other questions because I'll crumble and the 100$ in school supplies will cost me three in duty, yikes, it kind of defeated the purpose. Next time I'll just buy them in JA thanks!!

User Info Menu

airlines aren't going to care...except for the weight.

customs will be luck of the draw. you may get raked, in which case it's good to have receipts. if you do get raked, watch out for the duty book. agents can or don't consult and you may be better off or not lol.

with all the new weight restrictions the best bet is to actually try and pick up supplies in Ja. or donate the cash. you never know what a school's actual need might be.

once i brought a box full of notebooks, pencils, etc, and they had a closet full of that stuff already. what they needed was modeling clay and a stereo that could play tapes.

you may also consider linking up with an org that reaches beyond negril to disburse.

head over to travelers if you have some time and buy some blocks.
    "I beseech thee, my lord , let this venture be mine..."

-Sir Gawain

User Info Menu

so I should claim them and just say I am a teacher. I am a horrible liar!!!!!!!!! Hopefully they will not ask any other questions because I'll crumble and the 100$ in school supplies will cost me three in duty, yikes, it kind of defeated the purpose. Next time I'll just buy them in JA thanks!!
    there you go! now you are cooking with fire.
    "I beseech thee, my lord , let this venture be mine..."

-Sir Gawain

User Info Menu

thanks, i saw this as well and these women had great ideas hopefully it will take off and do well. I really do hope the local schools in Negril do need the stuff, and maybe next time I will just donate the cash.

User Info Menu

I bring a suitcase of school supplies each time I go (2-3 times a year). Have never, ever had a problem. Always claim them on the back of the form as just that, school supply donations, and list a few examples. I make sure they are packed seperate so that if they want to have a look they can. I would be surprised, and if it has happened to someone I would be interested to hear about it, if they charged you duty. I don't bring the receipts. I am sure a lot of people do this. I also bring clothing and other items for donations. I don't lie and say I'm a teacher or anything, just tell the truth, they are donations.
    "mud cyaan seckle widout wata"...some people are essential to the wellbeing of others

User Info Menu

Crayons Cout Website give a breakdown of what makes up the packages

http://www.dogoodjamaica.org/crayonscount