Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Jamaica Newby - Full Immersion in days!

User Info Menu

Jamaica Newby - Full Immersion in days!

5 days til Jamaica! Just spent 2 days turning the house inside-out looking for milady's passport, found it after looking up the emergency replacement procedure, so now feel like we have an extra $200 or so to spend. Can't buy the time back though, and still finallizing details and packing and all.

It's been crazy this month - planning and hosting 2 baby showers this month (one happening this weekend) and my sister-in-law passing away unexpectedly. Really haven't had time to think about actually being in Jamaica, just hoping to get everything done and make the flight.

But we do have a plan! We aren't the stay-in-one-place types, so we have turned our niece's wedding in Negril into a 12 day tour around the island. Coupla days in MoBay, head east to Falmouth, coupla days in Porty, round the shore and into the Blue Mountains, then off to Negril for 5 days.

Renting a car (yeah, I know, I know - hey, we woulda got a motorcycle if we had found a place to rent a Gold Wing) and will see how Garmin has the island mapped out, although we will be sticking to the main & secondary roads, or at least trying to. Getting a little Yaris sedan, hopin' that will fit better on the narrow roads and in traffic. Thought about getting JAMNAV but don't wanna spend the extra $110US for it. Will stop by a Shell station to get their paper map as a backup.

Have read through several travel guides and lurked about boards some too. Here's the plan, activities subject to change but hotels reserved (mostly):

Richmond Hill Inn days 1 & 2, arrive mid-afternoon. Hit the beach, maybe try out our snorkels, head over to Rocklands Bird Station, maybe check out the Harbor Street market or Rose Hall in there somewhere. Houseboat Grill for dinner. Wander the Hip Strip.

My Time N Place day 4, check out Bend Down market day, raft the Martha Brae, lunch at Papa Gus, take a dip in the Luminous Lagoon.

Frenchman's Cove day 5 & 6, maybe hit Dunn's River falls (my lady has bad knees, so climbing up a fall may not be a great idea), drive up & down Fern Gully on the way to Porty, check out the Wassi Art gallery, grab lunch at Scotchie's 2 (I know, hafta backtrack there a bit), maybe dinner at Woody's, raft the Rio Grande (too much rafting, or an opportunity to compare?), check out my personal Aerodrome, maybe Reach Falls, and some conch soup at Dawn's. Sneak in some sun/swim/snorkeling in the Cove too.

Mount Edge B&B day 7 after driving along the coast, stopping at the Morant Point lighthouse & Miss Nora's Cookhouse, and then checking out Fort Charles in Port Royal. We are skipping right through Kingston, maybe stopping at Emancipation Park on the way up to Mount Edge. Tour the Old Tavern Coffee Estate, then in to Holywell Recreation Area to see what the Misty Blues Festival is all about (no one has been able to tell us much). Lunch at the Gap Cafe then head West.

Golf View Hotel in Mandeville day 8, just a stop on the way to Negril. Dinner at Little Ochie or maybe the Bloomfield Great House. Cruise through Bamboo Avenue on the way to YS Falls, then have lunch in Apple Valley Park in Maggoty. Try to stay sober at Appleton Rum Estate, grab late lunch at Howie's Healthy Eating Diner and then grab a bag or two of peppered shrimps to keep us going into Negril.

Our Past Time day 9-13, cause it's right between Sandals for the wedding and Beaches where most of the family will be, so folks can walk over and visit whenever (sure they will...) if we aren't strolling the beach ourselves or wandering around the West End. Hafta see the lighthouse just so we hit both ends of Jamaica! Plenty of time here in Negril to check out the market, shops, and bars, and lay back a lot. Maybe some trips off to the Royal Palm Reserve, Mayfield Falls, or whatever comes up. Possibly join the newlyweds on a fishing trip if we can sneak in for the standard rate, since the all-in-one is charging them almost 3 times what it would be if you go directly to the charter companies.

Hopefully will be able to get into the looking-forward-to-it state of mind, cause right now I only see all the things left to do on the checklist (and imagine the things that we shoulda remembered).

but hey, no worries (I'm trying!)

KJ

User Info Menu

kenj, you are both going to have an incredible time on our isiand, but try to just go with the flow, although yours is a dream itinery, dont put too much pressure on yourselves, its a small island, but it can take awhile to get places . a couple of your days may be tough to do , i come from mandeville, and the south, so can say, days 7 + 8 will be hard to do, but would be wonderful. Anyway, you both go and have a wonderful times. Blessings!

User Info Menu

Impressive for a Newby and should make for a good trip report upon your return. One of the "attractions" I passed on my way to Nine Mile was "Outameni" in Falmouth. No doubt we would have to try to avoid a "Cruise ship" day but looks like you'd get a good overview on the history of Jamaica.

http://www.outameni.com/movie.html

User Info Menu

Hey Nige - thanks for the heads up. I knew those 2 days have a lot of miles in them, and I'm kinda sorry to hear that confirmed, but we will take what we can and skip what we can't - stress is not an option!

Hey Irie, I've seen good stuff about Outameni but didn't include it cause it took a lot of time, but it's in my mind and who know? Will have a laptop with us and hope to do trip reports as we go as we aren't big bar hoppers and will usually just be unwinding after dark.
    Last edited by KenJ; 02-15-2012 at 01:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Phewwwww....I'm exhausted just reading your plans...but love your excitement!
    I was going to say the same thing as as Nige...you have loads of driving time that needs to be considered & the driving can be tiring between rough roads, poor signage, goats, cows, etc....but thankfully the main roads have improved drastically even in the time that I've lived here.
    Other than that...I know you'll have a blast!!!

User Info Menu

Eyes on the Road!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    ...the driving can be tiring between rough roads, poor signage, goats, cows, etc....
    Yesser, copilot will keep eyes on the GPS, map, and handle the camera, driver to watch for potholes and more mobile hazards!
    Last edited by KenJ; 02-15-2012 at 05:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Make sure the horn works on the rental!
    One Good Thing About Music, When It Hits You Feel No Pain!

User Info Menu

glad you are setup for the last leg in Negril so as to relax and enjoy after da journey......
    you'll look back at this trip as being wonderful........
    though in reality when you are there......you may get frustrated a few times trying to find places and things......
    but with a good attitude and some patience you are in for a very enjoyable vacation.......
    take a lot of pics and do a trip report for us....if you can........

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

no worries

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    ...you may get frustrated a few times trying to find places and things....
    Thanks Marko,

Getting lost is just an opportunity to find unexpected treasures. Those are the times that you remember best too!

KJ