Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Trip Report Inclusion Scale

User Info Menu

The Trip Report Inclusion Scale

Reposting this ... under its own thread ...

Because along with lots of others ... I find writing trip reports an exercise in self-censorship and autobiographical "fiction" of sorts...let's face it...LOTS of stuff gets left out as mentioned by Beachgirl and others... thought'd it be funny to make up a "scale" ....

SO: here's a basic 1-10 guide.....to what you're reading in many cases .....LOL...

Scaling a trip report could also based on the number of trips and the person's comfort level in Jamaica.

i.e. Trip 2, INCLUSION LEVEL 4. hahahaha would be an ok read

Trip 15, Inclusion Level 8? Grab a wine, pull up a chair and get ya popcorn ready!!

Without further ado:

BRASI's TRIP REPORT INCLUSION SCALE

1. A newbie report. Lots of pics of food plates, talk of Rick's Cafe, jerk chicken, and use of the word "wonderful." May or may not have actually gotten jiggy with the lifeguard but NO WAY IN HECK is it in the report.
    2. The Bus Crawl was amazing and wow we ventured off the resort! The shocking stuff is left out because he or she is unaware that it is very common and they don't want to "stick out." The thought of including some stuff runs through the persons' mind.
    3. Mentions Jamaican daggering to start gaining some street cred, throws in a few pics of the Jungle.
    4. The truth...sorta...talks about getting "wasted" but no mention of what happens after.
    5. The average report. Maybe a mention of a "working girl" "being at a a party" etc. "One guy winked at me." LOL
    6. The truth becomes slighly warped. Lots of mentions of Jamaican cigarettes and rum. No mentions of condoms, but hot innocent encounters are thrown in as symbolism LOL. But the boardies KNOW what's missing. LOL
    7. The brave start to venture here...but there are still major holes. Evidence points to massive debauchery but it can't be proven. Rob can sleep at night but he's starting to worry lol.
    8. We're gonna get some dirt. LOL
    9. GerryG/Kahuna-ville. It's almost all there. The page views increase enormously. Readers have dreams wishing they were the folks experiencing this stuff. LOL. The producers of "Entourage" start calling for movie rights.
    10. Complete INCLUSION. Yet to exist...who goes first? LOL

No offense to anyone...just jokin'.... I personally LOVE reading all reports.
    Last edited by brasi; 02-16-2012 at 08:49 AM.

User Info Menu

When do have the time to think this stuff up??? LOL
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool

User Info Menu

Writers...write!

User Info Menu

Hahaha...Brasi! since we all will be at the same place at the same time in Dec/jan , warn me in advance where our trip report should be rated.. So I can act or act up accordingly~ I need direction and guidance
    This is a awesome idea...

User Info Menu

Michael's reports from a few years back were rather all inclusive

User Info Menu

I would love to do the all inclusive report--it is such an adventure and of course great reading and fun to write. But having checked out these travel boards for years I know better. I have seen people do really honest full disclosure reports get ripped to threads, mostly by other boardies but sometimes shut down by monitors. So when I am ready to write a book, it will go in there. But it is staying off the internet at large for the time being. My skin is not thick enough. I have ventured to a 7 on the Brasi chart before, no problems. And I always write the truth, it is just a matter of inclusion vs selective exclusion. I have been on around 15 trips to Negril and only the first one was PG rated. I get the sense that the reports of us singles may vary from married couples that go.

User Info Menu

There was one other guy with a young JA girlfriend, Geo, who was pretty open about writing about his antics. And he had pretty much support from readers.

User Info Menu

lol - i've had my fun - some highly fictionalized at this point - lol

and i love all the trip reports and the pictures

anyone that writes a trip report knows it is a labor of love

bring them on! all of them

User Info Menu

yes, bring them on!! Ditto Seveen.

User Info Menu

That cracked me up. It is tough to figure out what to include and what to leave out...it takes a lot of thinking, writing, deleting, re-thinking, re-wording...geez, I'm tired already!
    "Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" R.N.M