Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: The Ackee Tree Cook Shop

User Info Menu

Wink The Ackee Tree Cook Shop

On a day, when I don't have any plans, i'll head over to mi mom in laws store and chill for a while.

Always interesting sitting around, watching and listening to folks coming and going.

I can pick up on the patois when folks are ordering this and that.

My sis in law run things.

A little kid will pull up on his bike or a smaller one with silver (coins)and order a bun and cheese or sweet coconut biscuits (cookies) or something.

When my stomach talks to me and says "feed me". I get up, take a big stretch and tell my sister, "I'm heading to the Ackee Tree for some food".

It is right down the road from the store and across from the Texaco Gas station.

It's a small cook shop. Most times they have the usual Brown stew Chicken, Fried Chicken, rice and peas, etc, etc.

"Hey mon, I need a small fried chicken and rice and peas".

The cook will hold up a Styrofoam container, "yeah, that's the right size I say", 300 J right?

Yeah mon.

They have 2 tables and chairs in an semi outdoor covered dining area.

Next door there is a little store just like my mom in laws.

I'll get a ice cold Heiny or Red Stripe and have a seat waiting for the food.

The chef must have just finished cooking, because usually the food is nice and warm, but this time it was piping hot!

Just the way I like it.

The food is like a country meal, that little something in the tatse that you don't find in big city restaurants.

The beer was 200 J and the Meal ( Fried chicken, rice and peas) is only 300J.

They have bigger sizes, but the 300 J holds me nicely until din-din.

It is not a whole lot of food, but enough to satisfy a brother.

User Info Menu

Ted & I like to stop there after grocery shopping and pick up our lunch to take home. Great food. Mr. Carr who cooks there sometimes, used to cook at Fatties.
    If your dream doesn't include the "impossible", it's too small - Joel Osteen

User Info Menu

I love the local food places best of all. That small portion you spoke of is more than enough for me to have as a meal. Is place is near the roundabout?

User Info Menu

SweetSue, yes, it is to the left of roubd-a-bout.

Past the taxi stand, past the first gas staion (yellow), then the next street is the texaco gas station.

Turn right and you are there.

User Info Menu

Ate there many years ago...need to go back!