Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Negril Gym

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MoFromMonroe View Post
    tfw & sweetness-not sure its available in Negril but in US Tropicana makes OJ low sugar called "Trop50. 50 calories 10g sugar for 8 ounces. I do weight watchers and was missing my morning OJ. It's only 1 point!

Yvonne- funny I always hated to sweat too. Now find the exercise has become a way of life. I am probably fitter @ 60ish than I was at 40. And feel better too!
    I have tried it before. It just doesn't "do it" for me, if that makes sense!

User Info Menu

Haha tfw. The first time it didn't for me either. Now it's better than nothing.

User Info Menu

I know there are gyms with treadmills at Country Country and also at Rooms. They might let you use them? but I dont know where you normally stay, so maybe something else would be closer by....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
    thanks tfw - if I have to those are good ones for sure. Sounds similar to my current circuit training. We do about 20 reps on each station (medicine ball, stepper, bungie squats, ropes, crunches, free weights, leg press, even hula hoop (lol). We do 3 cycles & it changes. Treadmill before and after.
    I will be on a long stay so hoping to find a gym to ensure I am consistent but thanks for your support - it means a lot.
    Unless you're staying for a super extended trip, you have no need for a treadmill. I usually do a 3 mile run on the beach which is super intense, followed by a 20-30 minute swim, alternating butterfly, back-stroke, and traditional. If you throw in squats and push-ups, you'll be fine on a 2-week rotation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Tone View Post
    Unless you're staying for a super extended trip, you have no need for a treadmill. I usually do a 3 mile run on the beach which is super intense, followed by a 20-30 minute swim, alternating butterfly, back-stroke, and traditional. If you throw in squats and push-ups, you'll be fine on a 2-week rotation.
    I always stay for extended stays in the summer & I always run on the road. 3.5-4 miles daily. At home I only use the treadmill if it's too cool/cold to run outside (yeah home gym!!!). I so much prefer a good run outside, especially in Negril. Then it's off to the gym for sit ups on the slant board, more floor work, pilates & yoga. Time allowing & equipment available, legs & arms on the equipment downstairs. Otherwise, it's bands in my room. Running along the road is the best!

Even for my shorter stays,I'm still out there running every a.m. Interesting on this last trip when it was busier than summer... more runners along the road. In the summer, it's pretty much just me.

At home I'll add my weekly step class, bowflex plus all of the above. A day w/out exercise just doesn't feel right.
    Last edited by Yvonne; 03-02-2012 at 07:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jody - where I usually stay and where I might stay with a gym is debatable and both of those are cool places.

Mr. Tone / Yvonne - I aspire to run someday. I am very overweight (OK this is getting too personal lol) so until I get healthier its about cardio and strength and keeping my heart rate around 145 (I wear a monitor). I am maxed out walking on the treadmill at 2.7 w/slight incline and its easier to stay consistently in "the zone". Making progress so some day.......thanks all for taking time to share.....its my life now. thinking about a month or two so I have to be sure I am gonna stick to a routine......and of course still chill and enjoy paradise!
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne View Post
    Thanks for the update on the new gym. It was a month ago when I was told it was still under construction. I hear it's going to be quite "state of the art"... dietician, personal trainers on site (also have one at the Negril Gym). Any idea on the rate?
    I don't know the rates, but Tiffanie has given permission to put her number on the net. It is 398-8256. Since there are probably many ways to go, she will take care of your questions.
    If your dream doesn't include the "impossible", it's too small - Joel Osteen

User Info Menu

I also work out while in Negril, it keeps me on track so I can indulge a little more than usual and not gain weight, but mostly I just can't go many days without strenuous exercise as I start to feel poorly. I have been a "workout person" for around 14 months now and it is a permanent lifestyle for me as the benefits have been just incredible. I think you can totally maintain your program while there with the planning you're doing. I agree with the suggestions to talk to your trainer about designing a vacation workout, specifically one that you can do anywhere without equipment (or using some resistance bands that weigh almost nothing and you can take with you) in case you don't feel like going to the gym on some days. The more consistent you are in the early stages, the more quickly you will reach the point of exercise becoming routine for you, which I found to be a major turning point in my life.

My biggest challenge in Jamaica is sugar intake because of fruit, fruit juices, and alcoholic beverages. One of my tricks is to mix my fruit juices/rum drinks with just a bit of juice and some of that awesome Everess club soda, which is super sparkly. Since I don't normally have much sugar, my spritzer juices are just the right amount of sweet with much less fructose. I also try to request vegetables instead of rice an' peas for several restaurant meals. I know you do a lot of your own cooking, so that won't be as much of an issue.

User Info Menu

JaMiss - thank you so much for the contact number - I like to plan my budget ahead so it is really helpful - I will call her.

Hettie - how kind to share your tips (love the spritzer idea). The support is so appreciated.
    Diet will not be a problem with me and trust me I am gonna have a patty or two (lol). Its the "routine" I gotta keep up and with all these great suggestions I know it will be all good.

Love and good health to you all!
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Sweetness,

Last year I lost 8 pounds in my two weeks in Negril. I worked out while I was there and I ate right. I planned my meals a bit in advance to avoid getting stuck eatting patties ; ) and the chefs all knew to wipe the oil out of the pan and make me fish and veggies the lightest way possible. I managed to not eat a single grain of rice while I was there! I have been thinking of posting my "7-Mile Beach Diet" -- but haven't done so yet. I guess I'm a bit shy about it. I walked and swam every day. About half-way through my trip I met my "trainer" -- her name is Jeannie, and she started out trying to hustle me as I walked. I told her I couldn't stop, so if she really wanted to talk to me, she had to join me. That was how it started. After that morning, she met me every day at 9 am at Alfreds and walked with me to our designated turn-around spot, and then back down the beach. The year I found her right away and every morning at 7:30 she would wait for me in front of my hotel. Knowing she would be there got me out of bed every day. She pushed me to walk faster and farther than I would have done alone. And when I couldn't talk anymore (no breath) she would talk. Lovely, wise, Jamaican talk about life and blessings and walking good. It was great. I have her number if you would like. She's a lovely woman.