Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tensing Pen?

User Info Menu

Tensing Pen?

Okay, Almost all of our reservations have been booked for our trip to Negril in April (thanks guys for all of your help! We just booked "Seasplash" this afternoon. So excited!)

Now we just need to find a hotel for 4/19 and 4/20 (the actual date of our 10 year wedding anniversay) Once we do that, we can finally sit back and just relax.

We want to stay somewhere very special and romantic on the cliffs for these 2 days. We've been debating between Citronella and Banana Shout because they both offer affordable cottages right on the water. I can't imagine what it would be like to wake up on the morning of our anniversary with a direct view of the ocean right outside our bedroom window....

But we keep going back to Tensing Pen. (especially after seeing all of the beautiful pictures Lorax2 posted in a Trip Report) I just love the look of the resort and I'm so drawn to it. We can only afford one of the cottages in the back near the road, but I'm wondering how much that really matters in a place like The Tensing Pen?

Can anyone share their experiences at Tensing Pen? What room did you stay in? What were your feelings about this place? Would you recommend it as a good place to celebrate our anniversary?

How were the other guests there? How was the staff? (I'm worried they might be a bit stuffy because the whole resort has a kind of posh look to it) Do they have WIFI there? How is the food at the restaurant?

And you're probably going to laugh at my biggest concern...

The Dogs.

I loved Gentle "Ben". The golden retriever at Catcha Falling Star, but in general I'm very fearful of big dogs and "Tensing" & "Sugar" look really scary. Should I be concerned? I don't like dogs that bark loudly and growl a lot. - stop laughing at me. lol - Unlike my Lionfish Phobia ,This is actually a legit fear. I was attacked by a pack of German Shepherds at age 8.

Thank you guys for any info you can provide on Tensing Pen. We truly appreciate your help with this! Last month was incredibly heartbreaking for us, but we've been smiling non-stop since we pushed the button on this upcoming trip.

-Daisy
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

the dogs are NOT scary at all, they are really awesome to have around and are mild mannered- I wouldn't sweat that at all.
    "I beseech thee, my lord , let this venture be mine..."

-Sir Gawain

User Info Menu

I haven't actually stayed there but, a dear friend of mine's husband was the manager there several years ago, and we toured the grounds. OMG, it is off the hook beautiful! If I had the chance to book, I would definitely do it!!! After 26 plus trips, Tensing Pen would be a dream come true. We generally stay for longer visits, so it wouldn't be financially wise for us....but, if I had to bucks to stay there....no question..I would do it in a heartbeat. You guys are young and trust me, time flies by so quickly. Do it!!! This is advice given to me by my 86 year old father...my rock.....and he speaks the truth.

My first reach was in my early 40's....but looking back, I would have loved the chance to stay there. I have read your posts and I can feel the love you both have for Jamaica. For me, it has changed my life also. Take the leap of faith and do it mi sista!!! I don't think you will regret it. And for me, I will live vicariously through your posts and have total joy in my heart for both of you. After what you guys have been through recently............you deserve it!!

User Info Menu

Name:  Jamaica June 2011 - 130 (Small).jpg
Views: 506
Size:  48.6 KB
    Name:  Jamaica June 2011 - 129 (Small).jpg
Views: 521
Size:  40.2 KB
    Name:  Jamaica June 2011 - 126 (Small).jpg
Views: 509
Size:  37.6 KB
    Name:  Jamaica June 2011 - 104 (Small).jpg
Views: 486
Size:  48.3 KB
    Name:  Jamaica June 2011 - 093 (Small).jpg
Views: 497
Size:  39.7 KB
    Name:  Jamaica June 2011 - 114 (Small).jpg
Views: 489
Size:  82.7 KB
    Name:  Jamaica June 2011 - 179 (Small).jpg
Views: 474
Size:  56.0 KB
    Name:  Jamaica June 2011 - 163 (Small).jpg
Views: 390
Size:  62.6 KB
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Delicious food, amazing gardens, spectacular views. I sent you a private message with more info. citronella and banana shout sound wonderful too.

Name:  Jamaica June 2011 - 159 (Small).jpg
Views: 471
Size:  55.6 KB
    Name:  Jamaica June 2011 - 145 (Small).jpg
Views: 463
Size:  48.0 KB
    Name:  Jamaica June 2011 - 181 (Small).jpg
Views: 463
Size:  51.0 KB
    Name:  Jamaica June 2011 - 123 (Small).jpg
Views: 465
Size:  33.1 KB
    Name:  Jamaica June 2011 - 177 (Small).jpg
Views: 465
Size:  73.0 KB
    Name:  Jamaica June 2011 - 183 (Small).jpg
Views: 456
Size:  37.6 KB
    Name:  Jamaica June 2011 - 136 (Small).jpg
Views: 446
Size:  45.1 KB
    Name:  Jamaica June 2011 - 147 (Small).jpg
Views: 454
Size:  42.7 KB
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Tensing Pen is AMAZINGLY gorgeous. As you know, that was where we stayed for our honeymoon. We had the Rock Cottage II and of all the places we have stayed so far in Negril, it was the nicest room on the inside. The property is gorgeous, the rooms are nice, the food is good, the grounds and the views are amazing. It is just a really great property. Oh and the dogs, though big, are gentle giants. Most of the time they lay under the table or coffee table in the lobby or any of their other "spots" unless they make friends with you, then they won't really bother you....but if they make friends with you, they may come visit on your porch or at your table when eating, but they are very calm. Never even heard them bark....I would say there demeanor is very similar to sweet Ben.

Now with all of that being said, I will offer this:
    I think for your 10 year anniversary you should go for something right on the water. There are 2 reasons I say this
    1) There is just NOTHING like that sound being right on the water. I sure wish you could have Sagi for your anniversary. But I am thinking either Banana Shout or Citronella would be similar.....that sound is amazing, that view is amazing, that feeling is amazing....and you will never forget it...Magical. I think that is the experience you should have on your anniversary. Though Tensing Pen is a BEAUTIFUL property and you will surely remember it, I don't think it would be the same feeling if staying at one of the rooms further back from the water.
    2) I think you should stay some place smaller, more private, and more attentive. Now the staff at Tensing Pen was fine....but they were no comparison to the staff at Catcha, which you have experienced already. We were there for our honeymoon and no one even acknowledged it. We tried to engage in conversation with the staff and it was quick chat and then done. Nothing at all like Catcha. Now I have never stayed at Banana Shout or Citronella before, but they both look great and I think it might be more romantic at a smaller place like those. We felt just a little ignored at Tensing Pen but of course we didnt mind, we were on our honeymoon and we were in a beautiful place and we had a great time. But I just think the two of you deserve more than just a great time, and since you have experienced Catcha already and will again this trip, I just don't want you to be let down by a so-so experience at a nice property, you know what I mean?

That's just my $.02

And just so we are clear...I love Tensing Pen...it is a beautiful property, I just wanted to share my experience and perspective. I think you two deserve a MAGICAL anniversary as wonderful as the both of you are....and honestly I think you will have it no matter which place you choose!

User Info Menu

Monk - Thanks for heads up. They looked a little scary in the pictures I saw on Trip Advisor. It's good to know I can cross that concern off my list.

Yetta - Awww, Thank you so much Yetta! We're so excited about the possibility of staying at Tensing Pen! It's a dream come true to be able to celebrate our anniversary in Negril!

I was surprised to discover that the prices aren't too bad. The Garden Cabin is only $110 per night, and there are about 3 other cabins in that general price range but none of them have ocean views. They are tucked in the back. The ones up front are way out of our budget.

Sweetness - Those are beautiful beautiful pictures! thanks so much for sharing them! The food looks so delicious, all the tropical flowers on the resort and the room looks AMAZING- Like something out of "The Bachelor" lol

Thank you also for your PM and the information you shared. It was truly helpful and so appreciated! I have a few other questions that I'll PM you later on.

Marley - thanks for the info you shared, it really gave me something to think about. You brought up some points that I also read in a few Trip Advisor reviews. A few people mentioned that same thing.,. feeling kind of ignored by all the staff working there. So I'm not expecting same warmth that Andrea & Mauvette showed us at Catcha. On one hand, that's kind of disappointing but on the other hand, we might not mind that so much. We'll be really focused on eachother for those two days in particular.

You brought up my biggest inner debate. Do I want to forgo Tensing pen resort, for a smaller resort like Banana shout and Citronella with less amenities but with a killer view for the price range we can afford. Something more quaint and personal. It would be so awesome to experience being on the edge of cliff with a view of the ocean from our room once in our life, especially on our anniversary

But then I look at that infinity pool at Tensing Pen... and the pictures sweetness posted...

Ahhhh I don't know! I know I can't wait too long to make this decision because all of the rooms will book up and I wont be able to stay in any of these places.

I asked Markus and he said that he wants me to choose "I'll be happy anywhere, honey, as long as you are there with me" Which is very romantic but not so helpful in this situation. lol
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

LOL, Markus and Raul will get along well....that is EXACTLY what he would say to me! Ha
    And much like you I research and think and debate and weigh options on ALL of my decisions! lol

You are absolutely right though, the infinity pool as well as pretty much the entire property are breathtaking. Go look at some of our wedding pictures in the (Day after photo album) most are taken at Tensing Pen, and even though it was JUST after TS Nicole, it was still beautiful and those are some of our very favorite photos.

So with that perspective and after hearing your responses, I say book the room at Tensing Pen. If you don't mind being somewhat ignored, then that is great. Go lay in the hammock hut, go take a dip in the pool....jump off that bridge, you will love it. And the room (even if in the Garden) will most assuredly be one of the niceset rooms you ever stay at in Jamaica....even the lounge chairs are amazing. So you are right, if this is your only chance to stay at that resort, go on your anniversary, and then go to Banana Shout or Citronella on another trip...I mean I think either way you go you will be happy.....there really doesn't seem to be a wrong choice...so that's good.

Here are a couple of our favorites from the day after our wedding take at Tensing Pen

Name:  73692_1671648233076_1293506779_31851622_1122192_n.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  37923_1650842592948_1293506779_31805806_895389_n.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  72572_1650840432894_1293506779_31805796_1877249_n.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  73.0 KB

User Info Menu

I'd go Banana Shout...TP is beautiful and all-but I feel BS or Citronella would be a better choice-My vote for BS..Milo is a cool guy that was running the place...
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

We're at Citronella from 16/04 to 21/04 and read every review and pm'd so many peole who've stayed there. Everyone tells us it's a secret paradise and although not 5*, ticks all the boxes. There's a couple of great videos on YouTube.
    Rise early, treat everyday as though it's your last and your last day as it's your first.