Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking in the cliffs

User Info Menu

Walking in the cliffs

Even though we are staying on the beach, I'd like to do some wandering up in the cliffs area. I've read everything from 'be careful' to 'don't go anywhere on foot'. Is there any particular area that is recommended for strolling and exploring? We'll only be there a week so might only get to spend one or two days in the cliffs. Was thinking about Xtabi, would that be a good starting point? Any tips/must-sees for strolling the cliffs?

User Info Menu

I just returned form Seastar, good eats and vibe. From there we walked to LTU, Rick's Cafe, and Catch Falling Star, all are good for drinks, or food. PeeWee's, Xtabi, and Pushcart were also good, but we rented a scooter at Seastar, they where to far to walk. Cheers!

User Info Menu

Walk against traffic so you can see what is coming at you. And when crossing the road remember that traffic is coming from the opposite direction that you are used too in Canada. A lot of people haul ass on the road so you need to be defensive at all times. I have walked up and down the road a lot with no issues, but be alert and all should be fine. There is a corner near the beginning of the West End that has high walls and I will not walk walk thru there. It is too gnarly of an area with it's tightness coupled with some crazy driving. I would start around Xtabi and work your way deeper. A lot of great bars to check out on the West End if you are in to barhopping.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canuk cpl View Post
    ........ but we rented a scooter at Seastar, they where to far to walk. Cheers!
    I didn't know Seastar rented scooters?
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Garet one of the employees, has a nice new honda for rent.

User Info Menu

Why don't you route taxi to the lighthouse (or Out of Town Pastry) and start walking back toward town. That is the least trafficy area. When you get tired or there is too much traffic, just catch the next route taxi back into town. You get to see the lighthouse and some primo area of the west end all in one fell swoop.

Regards,

Bob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canuk cpl View Post
    Garet one of the employees, has a nice new honda for rent.
    Hi, we are waiting for your FULL trip report on Sea Star!!

How much was the scooter for a day and was it safe to ride around there?? i have had a bike licence in Canada for a long time and rented many bikes whilst holidaying in Greece for example.

Hope to see you trip report soon!!

Simon and Cindy.
    http://www.caribbeanmag.com/cd/vc/]

User Info Menu

last year we jumped in a boat,and it took us to xtabi[20$us].great ride there looking at all the properties from the water .The walk back was a blast,stopping for cold refreshments,checking out the differant bars and hotels.If you get tired,or have to many refreshments, jump in a cab. BE CAREFUL WALKING,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    I didn't know Seastar rented scooters?
    Garret had sold his motorcycle and purchased a brand new scooter.........
    he rents it out by the day or week for reasonable prices.......

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

I think you will totally enjoy walking along the west end. We walk quite a bit when in Negril. I think the biggest thing is just to be really aware!! Single file walking is a much better idea than side by side OMHO. The further west you go, the less traffic. To me, one of the biggest ideas that helped us...was a local that we have known for years, walked with us and shared some tips. Knowing how to handle the curves is tricky but if you approach each (remembering the traffic flow) by crossing over so that you will be on the side that is not hidden. I don't know if I am making myself clear but hopefully you get the drift. If not, a yardie will be sure and teach you. Enjoy and check out all the little nooks and crannies of the cliffs.