Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: I just got back from 7 days in Negril and LOVED IT! Yeah Mon! THANKS MARKO FOR INFO

User Info Menu

Cool I just got back from 7 days in Negril and LOVED IT! Yeah Mon! THANKS MARKO FOR INFO

i just got back from 7 days in Negril and LOVED IT! Yeah Mon!

Feb 28/12 - Mar 3 i was in Negril, in the West End towards the lighthouse/Rick's

i stayed near Pewee's Bar just off the west end road and i found there to be many affordable places w/rooms for 20.00 - 60.00/night. You just need to ask around as some places don't even advertise with a sign but rent out rooms regardless. I felt completely safe walking around at night in this area, and never had a problem.

Route taxis run often and i paid 100 JD each time i hopped in during the day, make sure you confirm first it is route taxi and confirm price before entering. also i USED RED PLATE TAXI'S ONLY!, prob a few times during the day some might not have been red plate but i asked if route price before entering. 1 night it was about 3:00 am and i negotiated a ride from 7 mile beach to west end area for 450 JD.

To/From airport i used JUTA EXPRESS, it was good service, 25.00 US Dollars, each way from Montego Bay Airport to Negril, right to the door of your hotel. i encourage others to use this service as i was happy, i had to wait 20 - 25 mins at the airport for the van to fill up, but was a lot cheaper than the 70.00 - 120.00 taxi drivers were asking for a lone traveller. They picked me up and delivered me on time to airport on my day home.

Drinks: I only drink beer but i paid 170 JD in a local style bar, to 250JD at beach bars. Stores were 130 - 140 depending on the store. i actually was in some bars that were empty, and i offered to stay and pay 200, but if it was 250, then i was leaving......................and they agreed to 200(may not work at all places but worked the 3 times i tried)

Food: the food was awesome, specially brown stew and jerk chicken, along with the curries and gotta try a patty as well, beef or chicken i preferred the most. i ate at every roadside place i saw and never got sick at all! Enjoy and try different things

I was hassled a lot to buy stuff, i just politely said " I don't need" and it seemed to work. Be careful about smoking on the beach or on the streets, it still is illegal and i did meet a long term tourist that said he went to jail for a few days for having joints on him when stopped at a road block while in a cab, cannot verify story but he seemed sincere, and better safe that sorry, use caution

Costs: in all i spend 140.00 US for 7 nights hotel/room under restaurant , and i cashed 400.00 US into JD's so i spent about $ 550.00 US for 7 days for everything, food, booze, hotel, smokes,taxis,ect(this DID NOT include my 50.00 for Juta to give me a ride to AND from the Airport in Mo Bay). i avoided the expensive places and travelled low budget style.............i truthfully couldn't have done it much cheaper, but i did go out and drink 6-12 beer every night, usually buying some cheap ones from the store for before and the walk to the bar to keep costs down. i did what i wanted , when i wanted..............keeping low budget travel in mind, but i completely enjoyed myself and this didn't lessen the enjoyment of my trip at all!

the people and food and clear ocean water were great and enjoyed myself, i will go again.

Thanks to the people who messaged me tips,info and encouragement before i landed!

User Info Menu

sweet!

User Info Menu

Sounds like you had a great time!! So glad that Marko could help you out on the info esp. regarding places to stay. I wish I could have sent you some info but I really wasn't aware of many. We always watch what we spend too, but generally, we try to stay between 70-100 per night range. This board is so valuable regarding current info. Glad it helped and so glad you used the route taxis. It took us several years before making the discovery...but once we did....we've never looked back.

Looks like you are hooked like the rest of us. To me, there isn't a better place to spend a vacation!! Especially the West End....my favorite place to stay for sure. Thanks for the report!

User Info Menu

i agree. if you have negotiating skills at all -- and this gentleman definitely has 'em -- Negril is a fantastic value. It's a bargain-lover's delight.

User Info Menu

Wow, you got a good bargain! Glad you had fun!

User Info Menu

backpacker did it up right mon........glad you had a great time.........West End is the Best End
    but not sure if this guy could keep up with those Red Stripes totals.......
    but I try dayum hard.......lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

I love it when ppl bargain and luck out. You got ballz, Canajun!! Good for you.During tuff times...is better to get someting ratha dan nuttn!! A dat mi seh.

User Info Menu

What ever happened to your buddies? Did you hang with them or just go it alone? What was the name of the place you ended up staying? I know you were looking at Jah B's but I guess it wasn't there. Did you get to go to any concerts while in Negril? When are you going back?

Regards,

Bob

User Info Menu

Very nice mon, wish i could have bought ya red stripe at PeeWee's mon. We also enjoyed being guests to the westend for our first time. We felt, and asked others who agreed, that we weren't hassled nearly as much as in the past. We also saw a stronger police presence, both types, and saw a vendor taken away from sunbeach for not having a permit. We also had a budget, but rented a scooter that allowed us to hear Tuesdays show at the Jungle from outside, where I had to tell one guy that i wasn't going to tell him again that i wasn't buying any of his kush. The legit vendors had our back no prob mon. We plan on same time next year, and the red stripe offer stands, hope to see ya there. Cheers!