Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Customs Question

User Info Menu

Read my exact words again. I thought before I posted and chose my words carefully - so I would NOT be telling them to lie. I only gave the OP a valid reason they would bring a small, used TV that would not subject them to duty.

If they decide at the end of their vacation, they don't want to bring it back - for instance, not enough room in the suitcase with all the souveniers - that does not mean they lied on any forms when entering the country. As long as they haven't actually made up their minds to leave it, when filling out the forms, they are not lying.

As far as prices, I'm in this exact position for my upcoming trip - trying to decide whether to bring down a TV for my home in Negril or buy in Jamaica. Believe me, I've been trying to find on-line prices for TVs in Jamaica - there is very little on-line info. Courts is one of the few - but still very limited. I am seeing prices at least double what I can buy for in U.S. So even paying the extra bag fee to make it one of my checked bags - it looks like I am saving $100's. Granted this is for a new flat screen TV, not a used 19" old-style tube TV.

If someone can definitely tell me where there is an electronics store between MoBay and Negril, or Negril and Sav, where I can get a 32" or so TV for about $300US - that would save me a big hassle. I'll buy you lunch.
    Last edited by Ohio_Buckeye_1; 03-12-2012 at 10:18 PM.
    08: Jan-NegrilTreehouse
    08: Nov-RoomsOnTheBeach, Ochi & TobysResort, MoBay
    09: Apr-Legends, Negril
    09: Dec-Legends, Negril
    10: Apr-HolidayInnSunspree, Mobay & SeastarInn, Negril
    10: Nov&Dec-SeastarInn & FunHoliday, Negril & SunsetResort, Treasure Beach
    11: Mar-FootePrints & NegrilBeachClubCondos, Negril
    11: Sep-Legends, Negril
    12: Sep-SeastarInn, Negril
    13: Mar-Match Resort & Bay View Resort, Port Antonio & El Greco, MoBay
    13: Dec-SeastarInn & Shields, Negril & VerneyHouse, MoBay

User Info Menu

Ohio - they are re-selling the TV. Its not for their use.

I bought an "inbetween" 17" model (not old but not flat screen) for $100 in Negril. Hopefully Rob or other local can help more with something that large. I think Sav or Mobay wil have what you want in your range for sure. Most hotels have big flat screens now so they may be able to give you a tip on where to get one. Keith at Westender might be a good contact to network with.......
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Ohio-let me make sure I understand your last post. You have a home in JA. You want to bring a new TV to JA for your JA house because you can save money buying it in USA. And, as part of the savings, you wont be paying JA taxes on the purchase. The TV isn't destined to leave the island when you do. Isn't this the exact scenario why you should be charged duty on the TV?
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice. I think i will be passing on bringing it not worth the hassel. And not willing to break any laws to be nice.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio_Buckeye_1 View Post
    Read my exact words again. I thought before I posted and chose my words carefully - so I would NOT be telling them to lie. I only gave the OP a valid reason they would bring a small, used TV that would not subject them to duty.

If they decide at the end of their vacation, they don't want to bring it back - for instance, not enough room in the suitcase with all the souveniers - that does not mean they lied on any forms when entering the country. As long as they haven't actually made up their minds to leave it, when filling out the forms, they are not lying.

As far as prices, I'm in this exact position for my upcoming trip - trying to decide whether to bring down a TV for my home in Negril or buy in Jamaica. Believe me, I've been trying to find on-line prices for TVs in Jamaica - there is very little on-line info. Courts is one of the few - but still very limited. I am seeing prices at least double what I can buy for in U.S. So even paying the extra bag fee to make it one of my checked bags - it looks like I am saving $100's. Granted this is for a new flat screen TV, not a used 19" old-style tube TV.

If someone can definitely tell me where there is an electronics store between MoBay and Negril, or Negril and Sav, where I can get a 32" or so TV for about $300US - that would save me a big hassle. I'll buy you lunch.
    I read your words very carefully and the original poster stated quite clearly that the TV was not for their personal use and they were bringing it down to resell to their friend. They had already made up their mind. Your alternative suggestion as to why they would be bringing it down is not the truth in this situation. To suggest they use it amounts to asking them to lie to the Jamaican government.

Please dont think that the customs agents are not aware of the various scams that visitors, expats and even returning Jamaicans try to use to justify their intention to get around the laws. They are fully aware of them and have ways to deal with them. In this case, should they not believe the "tv for my own personal use in a room with no tv" scenario, they will often make the visitor pay duty on the tv, then ask them to keep the receipt and present it when they return to customs WITH the tv for a refund. If the visitor claims they decided to leave it behind or claims it was "stolen", then no refund is given.

As for the TVs available on the island, I would check Courts, Mega Mart and ATL once you are on the island - all are on the way to Negril from the Montego Bay airport. Not all their products are on their websites. They always have other items in stock that they do not mention on the internet. We saw several new flat screenTVs under $200us in the stores just last week - and none are listed on the websites.

As pointed out by RockRobster, bringing in a new tv for your home here in Negril is exactly why duty is charged on items. To get a duty free exemption you would have to fill out more government forms and show proof of property ownership, your government issued TRN as well as all the receipts for the various items you are bringing in. And please note, if you do plan to live in another country, it is always wise to actively support the economy of that country. It will be to your future benefit to help the economy grow.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Rob posted: "As for the TVs available on the island, I would check Courts, Mega Mart and ATL once you are on the island - all are on the way to Negril from the Montego Bay airport."

What store is ATL, is that the full store name or short for....? And what town is it in?

Thanks for posting the availability and approximate costs, info much appreciated!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Rob posted: "As for the TVs available on the island, I would check Courts, Mega Mart and ATL once you are on the island - all are on the way to Negril from the Montego Bay airport."

What store is ATL, is that the full store name or short for....? And what town is it in?

Thanks for posting the availability and approximate costs, info much appreciated!
    I believe it stands for Appliance Traders Limited in Kingston.
    Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Attached is info on ATL's store in Montego Bay (including map for its location)
    http://www.blurtlive.com/business/Ap...e-Traders-Ltd4

User Info Menu

Wonderful, thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RockRobster View Post
    Ohio-let me make sure I understand your last post. You have a home in JA. You want to bring a new TV to JA for your JA house because you can save money buying it in USA. And, as part of the savings, you wont be paying JA taxes on the purchase. The TV isn't destined to leave the island when you do. Isn't this the exact scenario why you should be charged duty on the TV?
    I am marrying a Jamaican and establishing myself and a home down there. The plan is to do what typical snowbirds from Ohio do, except in JA not Florida - live in Jamaica 6mo when it's too cold in Ohio and live in Ohio 6mo when it's too hot in Jamaica. So the TV is for my personal use in Jamaica - not to sell or gift. It's my understanding this is the case where one is not expected to pay duty (when moving personal goods to live in JA)?

If I need to wait until married and established in JA with home, TRN, etc - to be entitled to bring household goods to JA exempt of duty, that is what I am asking about. Or would only my wife be able to return to JA with such goods exempt of duty. I know they have a pretty good limit each trip - I think is either $US600 or $800. But what about me with a TRN?
    Last edited by Ohio_Buckeye_1; 03-13-2012 at 10:18 PM.