Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Customs Question

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    ...They had already made up their mind. Your alternative suggestion as to why they would be bringing it down is not the truth in this situation. To suggest they use it amounts to asking them to lie to the Jamaican government.
    I'll second your advice on this much - don't do illegal things, especially in a foreign country. You're talking to a guy who doesn't smoke in JA and declared coffee and spices when coming back into the US my first trip - because I didn't know for sure whether you had to or not. I am one who believes in following the rules - but also in taking advantage of flaws in the rules. Note I am not saying break the rules, I am saying follow them to the letter - so strictly to the letter that they actually benefit you.

In JA they have red tape and rules that are insane. When you think about it - these rules are almost comical. In this case we are talking about, it's not what is in your baggage that determines whether it is declarable, it's what is in your head. Since if you intend to return with it, it's your personal possession and there is no duty. But the exact same item, if you intend to gift it - you should declare it and pay duty. So I say don't lie about a reason - just truly change your reason. Nothing says you can't change your mind later. That's why I think this is insane.

So I admit I could have expanded on my reply - like I tried in the 2nd post - and what I said just above. I could have said explicitly I was telling the OP to change his mind on why he was bringing it down - since that's all it takes to be able to be within the rules. But I took a short cut in saying what is the same thing - if you read my exact words - so I'll take my lumps. Everyting criss, mon.

But that might only go as far as living with yourself about being a good person. I also agree if your item is found, you might have a hard time convincing the customs guy you're being honest it's your personal item. I don't know what they do in that case - do you pay duty and keep your paperwork, then collect a refund when you leave the island taking the item with you, proving to them you were telling the truth all along? Doubtful.
    Last edited by Ohio_Buckeye_1; 03-13-2012 at 09:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Lastly - too many posters to mention everyone who posted with info on TV retailers. Thanks all.
    I will look into ATL in MoBay and MegaMart. I already also familiar with Bashco, which I think might be a source - they show a TV in their online ad, but no prices.
    I know there are big shopping malls in MoBay - that's what I think is my best bet. But if retailers pay the same duty on imports as we do - I am expecting prices to be more than double.

I am VERY familiar with Courts - not in a good way. (my fiance financed a refrigerator from them - ended up costing her about triple the purchase price if she had not financed) It is essentially a rent-to-own place and many Jamaicans end up stuck in financed hell - making payments and late fees on already over-priced goods way past their intended end-date.
    They are the only source I could find with prices online. Their 32" TV is about $675US - more than double US prices. That's why I was hoping to bring one down, instead.

So with all the hassles I know would happen bringing down a TV - I'll even change my offer for lunch. I'll settle for even a not brand new TV or even not a flat-screen - just has to be a 30" or larger, "gently used" or new but with a mfg date in 2010 or later, with a good picture.
    But I can't take "try StoreX", or "I heard about StoreY". I need someone to tell me they were in StoreZ and such-and-such Brand and Model# TV were there costing $Jxxx. (I know there is a Bashco in Sav)
    But I don't think the price difference vs US is just $20US or so - I think it will $100's.

Or does anyone know how much the duty would be on a TV with a receipt showing it cost $300. My experience with electronics thru the JA Post Office Customs was duty was about 100% of item's value. That's why I was hoping to bring one in duty-free.
    Last edited by Ohio_Buckeye_1; 03-13-2012 at 10:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Ohio--- ?? OP didn't need a TV. How cool that you are going to split your living - it is my dream too at retirement. I am still learning the runnings in JA and how to respectfully coexist within the wonderful culture.

Last reach I went thru the nothing to declare line as always but because I had large suitcases she made me go thru the other line and get completely searched. It was nerve racking - was questioned on every item I had. I was staying a month so brought extra kitchen items, etc. Had a few color books for the kids I love there (no duty but noted something like "culture" on the paper). I also took down some biz cards for a taxi driver friend - slipped my mind that there might be duty on them and she was puzzled and pissed I didn't admit I had them when she asked what I had in my bags - how much did they cost? - she let me go w/no duty but I was not allowed to even touch anyting in my bags during the search and she meant BIDNESS. Whew - only time I have ever had to do this.

For me, only reason I would carry down things not available in JA (which is not much) or that I prefer (personal items) is if moving there and then I would prob send down a small container - I hate traveling already and the less stress the better for me anyway.

Hey where are you in Ohio? I grew up in Cleveland (Parma, Olmstead Falls, Strongsville). Dad retired from NASA.
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Duh - I see from your profile you are in Dayton. Disregard my question.
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
    Hey where are you in Ohio? I grew up in Cleveland (Parma, Olmstead Falls, Strongsville). Dad retired from NASA.
    Sweetness - thanks for the Customs story. You're not the only one I heard being told to go thru the other line because of bigger bags than they thought reasonable.
    How much convincing did it take that they were YOUR pots and pans - and did they ask if you were going to take them with you when you left?
    It's funny you mention the business cards. I got some for my fiance (has a nail shop) in JA and they were outrageously expensive for like just the first 100 - they said others later would be cheaper because the die was already made???? But instead I brought a box of a 1000 down next trip for half the cost. Until you mentioned it now, I didn't think of them even being declared for duty.
    I know a few people who put stuff in storage so don't have to take so much every trip - wonder how customs handles that?

Luckily now, I have a place to leave the bulky stuff - pool floaties, snorkel gear, rolling cooler, radio, beach towels, some clothes,... - all brought down one trip at a time. This trip WAS to be the TV - LOL.

Oh yeah - I am from suburb on South side of Dayton, Centerville. But grew up on a farm in Clinton County - a little to the south-east. Wilmington and Blanchester are towns there.
    With my previous job I traveled to Cleveland area a lot - great deli's. You must have loved Drew Carey when his show was on. (I loved that Parma song-and-dance they did)

User Info Menu

LOL yep I loved that show and at the end of the dance they all yelled OHIO......I got to go up last yr and forgot how beautiful the countryside is there.......but I digress

Yes I was grilled about ever single thing in both suitcases. the Kitchen stuff I told the truth and she raised her eyebrows but kept going on and on (did make me show my hotel info showing I was staying a mth). Lucky for me that a JA local was getting it worse than me at the table next to me (go figure?) so she was busy yelling at him. I felt lucky I didn't get charged for anything but did not mind paying if needed. Best of luck as you transition to paradise!
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio_Buckeye_1 View Post
    In JA they have red tape and rules that are insane. When you think about it - these rules are almost comical. In this case we are talking about, it's not what is in your baggage that determines whether it is declarable, it's what is in your head. Since if you intend to return with it, it's your personal possession and there is no duty. But the exact same item, if you intend to gift it - you should declare it and pay duty. So I say don't lie about a reason - just truly change your reason. Nothing says you can't change your mind later. That's why I think this is insane.
    OB,

It comes down to simply being honest. If you bring an electronic item down for your personal use, customs expects you to take it back with you. If you do not take it back with you, this is not what is keeping with the "personal use" concept (please dont confuse this with something that you can "use up" like soap, shampoo, etc). So yes, if you fail to bring back an electronic item that was declared as "personal use", whether you want to believe it or not, you are breaking the law.

Jamaica is NOT the only country that does this. There are restrictions in the US and Canada as well for items that come in the respective countries. There is nothing comical about it - the rules are set up to protect each country's economy.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio_Buckeye_1 View Post
    I am VERY familiar with Courts - not in a good way. (my fiance financed a refrigerator from them - ended up costing her about triple the purchase price if she had not financed) It is essentially a rent-to-own place and many Jamaicans end up stuck in financed hell - making payments and late fees on already over-priced goods way past their intended end-date.
    They are the only source I could find with prices online. Their 32" TV is about $675US - more than double US prices. That's why I was hoping to bring one down, instead.
    OB,

If you choose the financing option with Courts, as with all unsecured loans anywhere on the planet, you will pay very high interest fees. This is not a Jamaican thing, or a Courts thing - but a simple economic reality.

In Jamaica, Courts opened up an option for people that was never available before. If you dont have the money to pay for something you want, and you really want that item, at least you have the option to get it at Courts. Most places this is not even an option. If you dont keep up on your payments the item get repo'd. You can go upstairs at the Courts in Sav and see all the items that have "Manager reduced" prices on them since they have been used and not fully paid for - they are the repo'd items. The financing "fees" cover the cost of all people who dont keep up their payments. You may not consider it fair, but when you dont have the money, the only other option would be not ever getting that item. Is that more fair - to never be able to have the item?

You want to bring down a TV to save money you would spend in Jamaica. By buying the item in Jamaica, you would help out the local economy. By helping the local economy, you help to create more jobs and higher wages. By creating more jobs and having higher wages, more people are able to pay for items that they would have to finance at present. By having more people be able to pay for items will increase the number of items available, increases competition and reduce the prices.

You are not the only one trying to save money by not supporting the Jamaican economy when you bring items into Jamaica. When you add all these people up, it does have a major impact on the local economy. So go ahead and save the money, but please remember that you are contributing to the lower employment, lower wages and lower economic status of Jamaica, a country that you say you have a home in. And you are helping to keep Courts in the business of offering a rent-to-own option....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Agree 100% . Well said!

User Info Menu

Well said Rob. You give us all something to think about. And I am sure it will affect my thinking about what I do or do not bring down in the future.