Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Customs Question

User Info Menu

Re: Customs Question

It's ALIVE again- some topics just won't die. LOL.
    If you do bring down items that you might have to pay duty on - i.e. baby clothes for a JA friend, and you are not traveling with a baby; school supplies to donate; and the like - I suggest you bring the receipts. If they do impose duty, at least you will have proof of the true value of what the item cost you to purchase. Otherwise, similar to what TBfan mentioned, they could set the duty based on the much higher cost of what the items would cost in JA.

My experience has been (with mailed items, not had it happen at the airport) that the duty is NOT a small percent of the value of the item - it was 100% of THEIR assessed value of the item. I don't remember exact values any more, but just for example. SD cards I bought in US for, say $10 - used to mail vacation pictures to my fiance - that cost $30 in Negril - they initially wanted $30 duty. After a few days of my fiancee arguing with them at the post office, they agreed to a lesser amount. So as TBfan mentioned - seems like it depends on what agent you get, and there is no amount set in stone. If I had known there was going to be a duty assessed - I would have included the receipts for the SD chip in my mailed package.
    Last edited by Ohio_Buckeye_1; 07-15-2012 at 01:01 PM.

User Info Menu

I am not worried about paying duty on sunscreen/bug spray. Rather I was thinking that it would be better to support the local economy and purchase there. But - I need to know if I can buy US brands there because I desperately need my sunblock and I have very sensitive skin.

User Info Menu

this one got rob going! hehe.. dont mess with the BOSS lol hehe