Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Customs Question

User Info Menu

Customs Question

So a friend who i have known for a few years now asked me if i could bring him a small tv the next time i come. He said he would pay for it which is fine. So i asked him about bringing it into the country through customs, he told me all i needed to do was make it my carry on. I am just looking for info on if i am going to get charged import tax or if i can say its a gift or what? Any info would be appriciated.

User Info Menu

We brought a 13" color TV to a friend, was packed in a large duffle bag, in our checked luggage. Not a flat screen an old school big 13". You can get good ones at a thrift store for about $20 or less usually, get a receipt, and customs if you declare it would be $10 or there about. For trips #2 and beyond (about 20 lost track) we always go through the nothing to declare line, no problem as of yet. First trip to Ja we brought a large suitcase full of school supplies for youts. We went through the declare line, MISTAKE! The customs officer couldn't understand why we would bring a suitcase full of supplies for children we had never met. He didn't charge us any duty, but he did try to shake me down for several packs of cigarrettes, I refused - very tense and un-irie, my wife was intimidated to the point of giving him a pack of her marlboro's from her purse, I was pissed. From then on I have nothing to declare, it its all my stuff, for my personal use, no matter what is in the extra bags.

User Info Menu

You can buy small TVs in Jamaica for comparable prices - I would just do that when you arrive instead. Not many basic items that can't be found in JA.

Also, I have done similar for long time friends but never got paid in full for my purchase - partial$ but not all - just my experience though. If you do bring one, you will need your receipt and pay customs for the item. They do not really like people bringing items in for re-sale from my experience with them.
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

The others are correct. If you declare it as a gift - that is what duties are paid on.
    It was lucky the school supplies were not charged duty.

In the very slight chance your bags are inspected - the TV is just for your personal use. For instance because the hotel you are staying at does not have them.
    08: Jan-NegrilTreehouse
    08: Nov-RoomsOnTheBeach, Ochi & TobysResort, MoBay
    09: Apr-Legends, Negril
    09: Dec-Legends, Negril
    10: Apr-HolidayInnSunspree, Mobay & SeastarInn, Negril
    10: Nov&Dec-SeastarInn & FunHoliday, Negril & SunsetResort, Treasure Beach
    11: Mar-FootePrints & NegrilBeachClubCondos, Negril
    11: Sep-Legends, Negril
    12: Sep-SeastarInn, Negril
    13: Mar-Match Resort & Bay View Resort, Port Antonio & El Greco, MoBay
    13: Dec-SeastarInn & Shields, Negril & VerneyHouse, MoBay

User Info Menu

Several years ago, a friend of mine was bringing down a big suitcase full of school supplies which she had promised in advance. SO when she got banged for a $25 overweight luggage charge, she paid it. However, insult got added to injury when going thru customs (voluntarily declared) and they charged her some ridiculous duty fee because 1) they couldn't believe someone would bring all of that down just to GIVE away 2) despite receipts, they couldn't believe it all came from dollar stores. Its a shame her good deed got punished... She now packs less and doesn't declare a thing.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio_Buckeye_1 View Post
    The others are correct. If you declare it as a gift - that is what duties are paid on.
    It was lucky the school supplies were not charged duty.

In the very slight chance your bags are inspected - the TV is just for your personal use. For instance because the hotel you are staying at does not have them.
    Sorry about singling out this one post, but giving advice to LIE when visiting another country is not the wisest advice in the world. Each country has their own laws, and lying on customs/immigration forms, which are official government documents is hardly advisable. It is against the law, and you are subject to substantial fines as well as jail time. In simple words DO NOT LIE on government forms.

The vastly smarter advice is Sweetness' take on things. Why are you bringing down a TV in the first place? Why not buy one here. At Courts you can get a brand new flat screen TV for under $200us. If you buy it here in Jamaica - you are not only NOT breaking the law by lying on your customs/immigration forms, but you are also helping out the local economy by purchasing the TV here.

If you want to buy a used TV, there are several shops in Negril and Sav La Mar where you can get one.

Please do not heed the horribly bad advice to lie on official government forms when entering ANY country...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I'll second what Rob said. Lying on a government document carries more penalty than any amount of duty you would pay.

This is true in the US as well. When my captains file their paperwork the penalty for falsifying a government application is 100,000 and/or 5 years in jail.

If you say it's for your own use you'd better be able to prove how.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Unless there is more than....say....$20 difference in price, which it doesn't seem there is....why don't they just buy it in JA?

Never lie to any government. If they catch you, your credibility is now worthless so any excuses will be met with rolling eyes. Then comes the fun. Confiscation. Consternation. Incarceration. Financial Deprivation. Deportation. Oh, I almost forgot....Humiliation.

How good of a friend is this? Are you SURE they have the $$ for the TV? If they do have the $$, why do YOU have to buy it and bring it?
    Last edited by RockRobster; 03-12-2012 at 12:01 PM.
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon

User Info Menu

Takin - Personally I would say pass on the tv for no other reason then luggage fees. You have a good heart bringing a tv for someone but is there another way to can assist (again the luggage fees!) LOL
    Happy holiday family time!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RockRobster View Post
    Unless there is more than....say....$20 difference in price, which it doesn't seem there is....why don't they just buy it in JA?

Never lie to any government. If they catch you, your credibility is now worthless so any excuses will be met with rolling eyes. Then comes the fun. Confiscation. Consternation. Incarceration. Financial Deprivation. Deportation. Oh, I almost forgot....Humiliation.

How good of a friend is this? Are you SURE they have the $$ for the TV? If they do have the $$, why do YOU have to buy it and bring it?
    WELL SAID & VERY GOOD POINT. ALSO - Good to know Rob is watching the posts and ready to give good advice. Personally, the only "gifts" I bring down are small personal items that may not be readily found on the island and also for my own use. Otherwise, I do a lot of local shopping....