Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Jamaica and negril as an Expat destination. Choose or not to choose?.

User Info Menu

Jamaica and negril as an Expat destination. Choose or not to choose?.

What are your feelings on negril and jamaica being a destination for ex pats? And why?.Costa rica has boomed and busted, panama too, Where does jamaica stand?.Would you suggest it to a fellow expat? would it be on your destination list to consider?.Respect.

User Info Menu

It IS on mine. ETA 2020.

User Info Menu

think you'll find most people find other destinations that are less expensive than Jamaica.......
    which is one of the biggest reasons they choose a country to retire in.......
    thus the expat community isn't nearly as big in Jamaica as say the DR or in Thailand etc...

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

I do indeed love mi sum jamaica, and would enjoy living there, but it's costly to maintain a US standard of living. Panama is still #1 with government perks available to retired seniors, #2 Ecuador with government perks/low cost health insurance/housing, #3 Dominican Republic low cost everyting (except ganga it's very $$$ expensive). We are going to check out Ecuador, very temperate in the mountains, and vacation in Negril!

User Info Menu

This is my husbands and I dream, to retire to JA. We're hoping to buy some land in the next 10 years or so. Once our youngest is in school full time I'm getting a part time job all that I earn will go to our retirement fund. We have taken up gardening and learned to compost with the goal of being to supply ourselves with some of our own foods. If we ever move out of the suburbs and get some land we intend to keep chickens and goats, all to prepare us for a simpler life in JA someday.
    I do hope our dreams are realized, I'd love to spend my golden years giving back to the Jamaican community.

Awaiting our return to Negril, 07/01/12

User Info Menu

Thanks for the links dbrook.

I intend to live in Jamaica, but I do not maintain a "US standard of living" in the US, LOL - I intend to live up quietly and practically and enjoy the fruits of Jamaica. The random crime has made me adjust my plans a bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brasi View Post
    It IS on mine. ETA 2020.
    You been reading my mind? 2020 is my deadline... sooner may come but def something by then.

User Info Menu

Dbrook...make sure to get confirmation on the info that is coming out of that site you posted.
    The very first question I read was answered incorrectly.
    [A poster asked if there was an income requirement to live in Jamaica & someone responded that there was no income requirement. This information is wrong.]
    I haven't read any further yet...not sure that I want to.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 03-20-2012 at 01:49 PM.

User Info Menu

If anybody knows,Bnewb can get the correct answer this nice lady knows!!!_Good Luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]