Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry on or luggage?

User Info Menu

Carry on or luggage?

If you can only be in Negril for 8 days, would you do carry on or do you need to check luggage? The only reasons I have checked luggage before is because I have to bring a lot of moisturizer, sunscreen and other beauty products and thought that I needed a lot of clothes. But I found that I really don't wear a lot of clothes because I spend most of my time in a bathing suit and you can always wash out your clothes. If you could pack just enough to get by and maybe buy moisturizer, etc. would you just do carry on?
    Last edited by NegrilIrene; 05-29-2011 at 03:02 PM.

User Info Menu

It's a matter of personal preferance. I like to carry as little as possible, so i check everything i can. Also it's less hassel at security.
    Life is simple...

It is people who make it difficult!

User Info Menu

Security isn't a hassle if you have everything organized, and your "liquids" in a zippered, quart see-through bag. We do Europe for three weeks with only carry-on, and have no probem. The only reason we bring a suitcase to Jamaica is to pack stuff that we may leave there. If not for that, only carry-on.

Dave
    It's these changes in latitude, changes in attitude
    Nothing remains quite the same.
    With all of our running and all of our cunning,
    If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
    Jimmy Buffett

User Info Menu

When I used to do 2 and 3 week trips we did all carry on. That was back when the liquid thing was not an issue but for 8 days, you should be fine. You can cram as many 3 oz bottles of lotions and potions in a 1 quart bag - I'm here to attest to that, lol! Just be mindful of you luggage size so that you are considerate to other passengers regarding overhead bin space. On most airlines you are allowed 1 small suitcase/rollerboard and one "personal item" - i.e, a small knapsack, laptop case, large purse. I saw someone try to get on our flight to Chicago last week with two rollerboards and the airline personnel made them check one of them.

User Info Menu

I do both (lol) one heavy big checked suitcase with too much stuff in it...but I bring my own coffee maker (light but bulky), big soft beach towel, etc. then I bring a beach bag as my "purse" stuffed with a bathing suit, chg of clothes, my real purse (lol) and then also a STUFFED carryon suitcase but I do have a tip......I am claustraphobic so I always wait to board LAST and many times all the overheads are full by then and they will tag my bag and put it under the plane (at no extra bag charge!) I think the "lines" etc are horrible no matter what so I don't mind checking bags. Just part of the stressful day of traveling but gets me to where I wanna be. Now for a 4 day trip I could get away w/just a carry on but not for longer - I like to set myself up nice
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

I would love to be able to do a carry on, but since the whole liquid issue I just don't have the time or patience to go through everything I want to bring to check the ounces on it, then transfer it to something that is the proper "travel" size. I have too many body sprays, too much stuff for my hair because it's super curly and it takes a LOT too keep it under control in the JA humidity...ohhhhh to be carefree with just a bag with some clothes.
    "Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" R.N.M

User Info Menu

Back in the day I could do 2 weeks in Negril with just a backpack. Now that my Empress accompanies me and with family on the island, it is all we can do to fit everything into 4 suitcases plus my backpack and her carry-on. Usually the contents of at least one of the suitcases is left with the family. I miss those carefree daze but having my Empress with me is much more than ample compensation. I can't imagine being in Jamaica without her.

Bless...
    Ed

User Info Menu

for anything less then 10 days its carry on, what i really need to carry meds, sunglasses etc goes in camera bag, i always buy clothes, suncream when i get there and when i leave unless i really like the shirt i gave everything to the maids,

User Info Menu

If its a 3-5 day juant, then its a carry-on and a backpack and no worries! I will go up to seven days with that set-up if my flight is not direct. More than seven....I just check it. Lucky us out of STL, we fly direct always these days....so if its seven or more, they go in the cargo door!
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon

User Info Menu

If I could do carry on I so would! It's so nice and easy to get off the plane and head straight for the exit