Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting a New Business in Negril as a foreigner - Do's, dont's and general advise

User Info Menu

Starting a New Business in Negril as a foreigner - Do's, dont's and general advise

Hiya,

I was in JA last in March (going back again in September) needless to say I loved it! and then on a recent trip to Malta, I got an idea for a business that I'd like to set up in Negril.

I've got a good feeling about it but I know that it'll take a lot more than a hunch for it to materialize.

I'm sure there are boardies who have been in my position and I would love to hear your stories.

Obstacles you've faced & how you overcome them, lessons learnt, what you know now, that would have been helpful to know at the start of your journey of setting up a thriving business in JA as a foreigner(European in my case).

If you prefer please email me. I appreciate all the love, support and advise I can get and if you have got any questions fire away!

Much love and respect ya'll

Administrator

User Info Menu

Sweets,

This is a tourist oriented website, and while starting a business is a common dream for many who visit this forum, there are very few people here who can answer your question in anything other than a second hand account.

That being said, there are a few of us here who have started businesses in Negril and Jamaica and have been successful. And come to think of it, there are really only a few non-Jamaicans that I know who have started up long term thriving businesses in Negril.

There are things that need to be done in order to acquire all the necessary paperwork and legal status for both you and the company you want to set up. I would not call them obstacles, just the usual steps that need to be taken when setting up a new business. Being a foreigner will add a few steps, but nothing daunting.

The best initial advice I could give you is on your trip in September, search out some of us who have been successful here and listen to the advice that you get from these people. I took about 3 years of research here before starting my business, Negril.com, back in 1995. The research I did made the whole thing much easier.

As a footnote, I lost count years ago of the number of people I have seen move to Jamaica, invest much more money than they anticipated, and went home empty handed. Most feel that Jamaica was to blame, but in reality it was their inexperience and lack of research that got them into trouble in the first place.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Right on point and well said Rob
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

I can't speak from personal experience but I have many friends that own businesses in Negril.

First and foremost I have to ask you - how many times have you been to Jamaica and for how long each time? Do you plan on living in Negril or running a business in absentia? What type of business do you plan on starting?

The reason I ask these questions is that while Negril is a great place to visit, one must really know the "runnings" to live there happily. Living there, staying there for extended periods of time present different challenges than say a two week vacation would. My suggestion, if you have not spent more than a month there is to gradually do that - start with a month, move on to two, three, four months - and if you can try to include time during slow/hurricane season.

When my friends started their business they found something that was lacking and filled that void. I guess that would apply to anywhere you'd start a business but in a town like Negril that is so tourist oriented you really need to think outside the box. For example, there are tons of catamaran cruise companies at this point, tons of jet ski operators, tons of boutiques/shops...you need to spend time there to suss out the business scene. If you are going to re-invent the wheel make sure that wheel is 150% better and brighter than the other wheels.

Time spent in town, time spent in developing community, getting involved in community activities and organizations create important contacts. My friends had a few contacts in well placed positions for their business which started their client base and created buzz within town.

As far as the nuts and bolts - the basic budgeting rule of thumb when doing anything in Jamaica is figure out what you'll need money-wise, then triple that amount. That'll bring you closer to what your actual investment might be.

Take into consideration too, if your business is tourist oriented, you really only have a four month high season in which to make the bulk of your money. Negril is not the bargain it used to be, far from it. You have to be very realistic about how you want to live there and how much its really going to cost.

If you are British you are subject to different immigration rules than non-Commonwealth country citizens are. If you are planning on living in Negril you'll need to learn what those rules are. In the case of a US citizen, we are not allowed to be on-island over 6 months - and we have to renew our tourist visa after 3 months. But in all cases you will need to apply and pay for a work permit that is renewable every year (you pay more and renew every 3 or 5). That's a huge process. I spent an entire day in Sav la Mar with my friend collecting tax compliance certifications alone - and then there's finger printing and a bunch of other financial reporting that needs to be compiled for the application package. In addition to the fee for the permit the "extras" such as finger printing cost as well...as will trips into Kingston and MoBay for different aspects of this process. I've always told my friend she should write a handbook on this process, she's got it pretty wired at this point. Jamaican bureaucracy can be difficult to navigate.

Like I said, I do not own nor do I plan to own and operate a business there. But some of the info I've given you is based on my experiences running a successful business here in the US for the past 22 years. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Sweets,

As a footnote, I lost count years ago of the number of people I have seen move to Jamaica, invest much more money than they anticipated, and went home empty handed. Most feel that Jamaica was to blame, but in reality it was their inexperience and lack of research that got them into trouble in the first place.
    So true! Though I know quite a few foreigners who have had successful businesses in Negril...through a lot of hard work and a great deal of tenacity. None of these people made millions but all make a living. And like Rob said for everyone I know that has done this, there is at least one that has tried and failed. Research and community development are KEY.

User Info Menu

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

The boardies in this forum actually helped and guided me as a female solo traveller when I first visited Negril for which I am ever so greatful.

I frequently read the posts on this forum although Ive not done so for the past few months due to me relocating, moving country and setting up somewhere else.

I might be wrong, but I can recall threads from a year or so ago when boardies have discussed setting up their businesses in JA, but I cant remember who commented or what the name of the threads were, which is why I started a new thread. If I have become just slightly too familiar with this forum I apologize. I had to open a new account today because I could not remember my log in, so I know that this is a tourist orientated website.

When I thought about my idea, I instantly thought of negril.com and couldn't wait to hear the boardies who have had this experience to share their stories. Of course my business plan would not be based on the comments made here, it's just really interesting to hear how other people have made it or possibly failed -the thread I remember specificly mentioned how it is to set up your own business, not being from JA, and being a woman.

I apologize again if you found this thread inappropriate, I got excited :/

I appreciate your comment on that you have seen many people come and leave with nothing,I wouldnt necessarily set up my business for me to live in JA permanently for the rest of my life, it's a business idea that I want my friends who are ambitious and live locally to get involved in, since they dont have the means to set up their own just yet, but I would be there in the early stages til its up and running. If it proves successful Id probably allow my friends to 'buy' me out in the next 5-10 years.

User Info Menu

Rob and Rastagirl 777 many many thanks for your 2cents I really appreciate it!

...I believe that what Id like to start up is filling a void and would be profitable and me setting something up in JA is a mixture of things. I have got great, hardworking, loyal and ambitious friends in JA, Ive been thinking about how I could do something that would be profitable (-ish) for me, nothing that will make me rich bit give me a little something, as well as involving my friends and helping them to get to where they want to go and be who they want to be without just giving them money (they are far too proud!). Together I thought we could make this work. One idea is also that if I ever have as much money as Id like either through work or business ventures Id like to set up a charity that supports young men in JA with the skills and possibly funds needed to set up their own businesses. There is so much talent in JA but as you know, a lot of the time money is an issue when it comes to education and start-ups. I'm a bit of a dreamer, I confess, but what a lovely thing it would be even to be able to touch one persons life in a positive way.

In October my company is sponsoring me to gain an accountancy qualification which will keep me occupied for quite some time, so on the side of fulltime work and studyin -now in living in another country yet again, I will do as much research as I possibly can and fingers crossed it'll all work out

Administrator

User Info Menu

Sweets,

Your thread is perfectly fine here and this does come up time to time as you said, but you just need to be aware that the info gathered here for the most part needs to be taken with a grain of salt. There are very few people in this forum who can honestly say that they have a thriving, longterm business in Negril.

As I mentioned, most here will only be able to give you second hand info. The comments may need to be corrected or expanded on in order to be useful. The above post from Rastagirl777 expands on my point.

The "runnings" she mentions is not something you will come to know by asking questions, but by simply living in Jamaica. If you do your research and spend time here before starting the business - you will pick this up automatically.

The budgeting aspect is not as simple as "triple that amount". If you do your research correctly, you should be very close to the actual investment needed. If you dont do the research so well, then maybe the "double or triple" concept may work, but that would lead me to believe your venture is doomed to failure if you underestimated your actual investment by over 200%.

Work permits are over us$1000 per year at present so you will need to be serious just setting up the business in the first place. Tax Compliance Certificates (TCCs) are nothing unusual, all businesses need them in Jamaica - Jamaican and foreign owned alike. All it means is that you have paid your share of taxes. Your accountant can handle all this for your business. If you cant get a TCC, then you have bigger problems than running a business... (grin)

As far as the fingerprinting goes, no one I know has had to do any fingerprinting to get their business started or their work permits. Possibly if you are starting a security company or similar business it may be required, but you will not find any references to fingerprinting in any of Jamaican government work permit documentation.

As mentioned, the best advice is research while you are here on your future trips before taking the plunge.

User Info Menu

Cheers' Rob and well done to an awesome new layout for the forum

Administrator

User Info Menu

Thanks Sweets!