Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: whitehall Mosaic Project

User Info Menu

whitehall Mosaic Project

As anyone read the the article on the Whitehall Mosaic Project
    if not you should
    I think it is a great thing to do bringing joy and at the same time passing on a skill to these young children
    I will be definately be helping please please read the article

User Info Menu

article is on the Negril to day page

User Info Menu

Yes I already sent in my keys. I was wondering...If I wanted to bring some stuff to give to school children while I am in Negril, how should I go about doing that? Anyone who has done this before, or lives in the area, please any info would be appreciated.
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

Bringing supplies to a Jamaican School?

Sorry for the wall of text... I hope you find some useful information from my experience helping the New London school. Please feel free to contact me via PM... and I would be willing to answer any questions to the best of my ability. More info can be found at http://www.friendsofjamaicausa.org/index.php

Tizzy,

On one of my previous trips, some friends and I were able to bring some supplies for a school near negril. We organized a ride to the school to meet with the Principal and give them the goods we brought. It was very much unexpected when they turned on the PA system and called all the students out to witness us giving our gifts to the administrators.

I had luck organizing the ride and finding a school with a group called Friends of Jamaica. They were very helpful and set up the van for us ($25 or $30 ride to the school). They also let the school know when we were coming so that we didn't surprise anyone.

With that said, I would suggest saving your money and donating a check to the school. Although they were very thankful for gifts (art supplies, medical supplies and other school related things)... the Principal was especially thankful for the $500 check that was donated by the company I worked for at the time.

The reason is that they can spend that money locally for the goods/services they need. I think at the time I visited New London they were trying to build some new classrooms... which I assume the $500 check went to.

I know they also need money for repair/parts for the equipment used to teach young men a trade. Which is very important considering it can be argued that young men are the most "at risk" group in Jamaica... and that any improvement in the situation for young men could provide noticable improvement in many other parts of Jamaican society. The young women need assistance with the sewing machines they use in their trade classes or equipment for their beauty training, to be sure.. but the maintenance/parts on a sewing machine is next to nothing compared to the price of repairing a metal working machine. (hundreds vs. thousands) This schooling will be the only schooling most of these children will receive/complete... if they can learn a trade at this age, their chance for "making it" is greatly improved. There are student who will go on to higher education, but it is excedingly difficult. There is a whole different system of testing in Jamaica that seperates the achievers from the non-acheivers (academically speaking) in order to get the most return on their extremely limited resources.

The Principal explained this to me in this way:

Essentially, the Jamaican government does their best to buy machines for some of these schools when the money is available... however, rarely is the continuous maintenance/parts cost included in the subsequent public funding. Add to this the cost of importing these specialized parts and you start to get an idea of why "cash is king".

Please let me know if you need anything else!

User Info Menu

I guess I failed to answer your question... which is hard to believe considering the obnoxious amount of text.

Yes, you can try and bring in supplies if you want to give them out for the kids. Technically, you are required to declare these goods on the way in, however, you might be required to pay the duties/import tax owed. If you don't declare the goods, you run the risk of being questioned about them. You might be given some slack if the goods are blatantly for kids and you explain they are for a school (and you can name the school). I don't know much about this and I would never suggest anyone break any laws.

User Info Menu

Phatskipper, Thank you!!!

Couldn't have asked for better info. It sure makes sense that $ could be better spent to invest that way, and other ways the school may see fit. I've often wondered why at my own highschool here in Austin, was there was nothing offered to those students who wanted to learn a trade rather than continue on to a universtity. All of the focus was placed on academics. Anyways, before I start rambling....

I've decided that is what I will do...donate in the way of a check. My daughter is making friendship bracelets as well for the school children. Hopefully we have time to make enough...would like to be able to give something for the little ones to enjoy as well.

Thanks again for your input!
    Stir IT UP