Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Renting a Scooter

User Info Menu

I didn't get the feeling that gas would try and that 'damage scam' on anyone. He was very nice and professional and understands about boards like this and how to keep a decent reputation going.

User Info Menu

Last time I rented a scooter on seven mile, they tried to charge me 40 dollars upon my return for a tiny dent on the rim of the wheel. Give me a break. That's why i NEVER give them my credit card info when I rent a scooter; they want it, but I just flash a $100 dollar bill, and they always let me have the scooter just by signing my name.

User Info Menu

You know, this thing about checking out your rental vehicle for dents, rubs etc. - we've been doing that for years with rent a cars and we do it when we rent a dirt bike or motorcyle in Jamaica. Just something we always did and based on the stories I'm reading...it's not a waste of energy!

User Info Menu

Only place I know if is Tykes at the cliff end. I know the Seastar sends you there, and I would any place the Seastar sends you to be fair and good.

User Info Menu

This practice of blaming the customer for damage they did not do is not uncommon.....yet it is unfortunate. This is exactly why you must rent from an honest and reputable person....even if it costs you a little more (which it likely wouldnt)

Take "time dated" photos of every scratch and ding on the scooter prior to renting. Put the time of the rental on the contract and make the rentee initial the time. Now you have your proof damage was there prior to rental. I have never once had a problem using this method.

User Info Menu

Tru tru Mr.Twister a picture is worth a thousand words
    How much further? Oh, just around the bend.
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PLFA4931216CEBD1FA

User Info Menu

Yes I agree!
    We have rented from our friend every time but last and never had a problem with "damage"
    However I did full inspect our scooters both when we got them and when we returned them which was why I was able to tell him that the damage was not from me. BUT....I didnt take pictures or have them initial (lesson learned)
    But when they showed me the damage on another scooter I said thats not the scooter I had, and if it is that damage was not there when I returned it, but they said no one else had it. Basically your word against mine, I had no proof (but neither did they).....what they did have was my credit card with $1000 hold on it....so in the end they won.
    But in the long run they lose, because I will never rent from them again and we rent two scooters for at least 7-10 days every time we visit.
    I will just return to our friend, or maybe try out Gas as I have heard good things, also heard good things about Tykes too

How much does Gas generally charge?

User Info Menu

scooters

If you are looking for no nonsense bike rentals try Prento on the beach.He is located next to Coral Seas Garden across from Coconut International's lane.He has scooters ,shadows, and cars for rent;I have been renting from him for many years and never had a problem.If you negotiate a price that you are both happy with he will honour that price so long as you continue to go back to him.You might have to ask to talk to Prento if he has someone else working at the time you inquire.

User Info Menu

Believe it or not....it was Prento's employee that gave me a hard time once after years o f renting from him. I told him to get Prento on the phone and that scared the crap out of the kid. He woke Prento up and got promptly chewed out. I didnt end up paying. While Prento may be honest.....I would insist on dealing with him only if you rent from his business.

I also agree that Gas is the man to rent from. I've never....ever....heard a bad thing come from renting from him.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info...I think I'm gonna check out Gas and go from there!
    "Live for today as tomorrow is not promised" Live....Love....Laugh....