Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cell Phone use in Negril

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian@Chicago View Post
    I have taken my various iPhones a few times. It's not airplane mode you want to be in, because that shuts off your wifi, too. International Data Roaming-->OFF is what you want to be on, unless you have an International Data Plan. That will allow you to access all wifi services still, and also make calls at $2 a minute, so probably not for everyday use, but you can still make calls and (I think) send and receive texts for a reasonable amount. The second you turn International Data Roaming on, you will start sucking all kinds of data and you'll pay for it when you get home.
    You can leave it in airplane mode, then turn wifi back on.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
    You can leave it in airplane mode, then turn wifi back on.
    But if it's in airplane mode, you can't use it to make $2 a minute phone calls.

User Info Menu

I leave it in airplane mode and my WiFi works automatically? As far as the $2/minute phone calls, I'm assuming you are kidding about the need to do that? Cause, well...its outrageous. The other danger with JUST turning off data roaming is that your phone itself is still looking for the phone network and is in roaming mode. So your bill won't be $700, maybe just $500 depending on how many $2/minute calls you make. I just shut the whole thing down and turn it into a camera and hand held computing device.
    Last edited by rastagirl777; 06-02-2011 at 06:57 AM.

User Info Menu

personally, i'm not subjecting the delicate smartphone electronics to the heat, salt air and humidity.... nor do i want to be flashing phone-bling around, (those things are hot items), or have to worry about finding someone to watch my belongings, etc, when i'm in the water. I leave my home phone off and just store it in a suitcase til I leave, and use my local pre-paid Digicel, & the netbook w/ local free Wifi for e-mail & keeping in touch. Buying the local phone was cheap, adding credit is cheap, nobody wants to steal it, and if anything happens to it, it's simple (and again, cheap! hehe) - to replace. and of course no bills when i get home - !
    Last edited by MissBlue; 06-02-2011 at 10:15 AM.

User Info Menu

My I-Thang and my laptop never leave my yard. I have the I-Thang because it is my phone in the US and while I'm traveling I do need to stay in touch with my office. Once on the plane in Miami the "thang" gets turned onto airplane mode and stays that way for the next three months.

I use my JA cell phone to make calls to the US as well as locally. I use my computer to check and respond to emails. If the "thang" comes out of my "home" purse - its rare. Hub uses his because I hog the computer