Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone use in Negril

User Info Menu

Cell Phone use in Negril

I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience using their cell phone in Negril. I use AT&T and have an iPhone 4. I understand incoming texts are free but outgoing are 20 cents. How is the coverage and what were your int'l fees when you returned home?
    Sandi Sans 85/87, CCLP 2002/03/04/05/06/07/08, June/July 2011

User Info Menu

Word of caution!!!!

I have at&t and i usually only use my personal cell when i have to in jamaica.....however last reach in april, i added world traveler plan for 5.99 and international text and thought i would be ok...........not
    last month my jamaica bill was a whopping $718.!!!!!!
    It was due to going over in text messages and minutes not sure how much per call and texts were because i was soooo pissed i just payed the bill....i don't wanna know
    anyway lesson learned.....when in ja you are better off using a rented cell and purchasing your minutes with a phone card!

User Info Menu

I was planning to add the international thing to my ATT phone too....but, maybe not!
    Paradise Found--- June 11th through 18th--Country Country

User Info Menu

I used my iphone only with wifi (used Skype and facetime), no extra charges. Skype was about $3 for unlimited calls to the US. Leave it on airplane mode and turn wifi back on.

User Info Menu

WE get a loaner phone from our usual driver ............. he fills it with minutes for Jamaica calls only ............ very minimal charge .............. IF we find a need to call back to USA, he lets us use his personal phone ............ somehow they know how to call USA for darn near NOTHING ! ! !

User Info Menu

Ah, the things AT&T will not tell you when you are traveling abroad - you might buy a "plan" but you are still not only paying for talk minutes but for phone and data roaming. I too have an IPhone 4 - when I turn it on airplane mode on my last leg of my trip it stays in that mode until I'm on US soil again.

I've always used my Jamaican cell phones for local and international calls. Digicel has a decent plan, actually more than decent - last year it was 1100JMD for 1000 minutes of talk time to the US. Its a monthly plan but for that money even if you are just staying a week or two its a very cheap way to phone home.

User Info Menu

Cool

rastagirl777
    Ah, the things AT&T will not tell you when you are traveling abroad - you might buy a "plan" but you are still not only paying for talk minutes but for phone and data roaming. I too have an IPhone 4 - when I turn it on airplane mode on my last leg of my trip it stays in that mode until I'm on US soil again.

rasta girl..does airplane mode also disable the data? just got my windows 7 phone today and learning about it yet. we also have a jamaican phone but wanted my smart phone for the delta app.

User Info Menu

I don't know much about other smart phones - I know that on the IPhone if you put it on airplane mode it disables the GPS so it's not constantly trying to find its network. If you are at a place that has WiFi you can check your email, download apps and music, Skype - do all those things that you might normally do on the 3G network but its over WiFi...so no data costs or data roaming costs.

I'll go out on a limb here and say the Windows phones are set up in a similar fashion?

User Info Menu

loaner phone from our usual driver ............. he fills it with minutes for Jamaica calls only ............
    those minutes/credits are good to call the USA too -- there's probably just not enough credit in the loaner phone to do it - but regular ol' Digicel credit/minutes are good to call anywhere, local or international.

The unlimited monthly international plan isn't *necessary* to be able to call internationally-- it's just more economical if you plan to talk a LOT, or stay on-island for long term. (and it only works for international - it cannot call locally). Regular phonecards/credits work just as well; when i'm there just for a week i usually get a 500 J phone card - about half the cost of the monthly plan.

........... somehow they know how to call USA for darn near NOTHING ! ! !
    Yah - that's the monthly international plan ppl are speaking of -- your driver probably has that on his personal phone. And since it's good for unlimited calls, it's cheaper for him to just let you use that to call home - as opposed to buying additional 'regular' phonecards/credit to add to the phone he lends you.
    Last edited by MissBlue; 05-31-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

I have taken my various iPhones a few times. It's not airplane mode you want to be in, because that shuts off your wifi, too. International Data Roaming-->OFF is what you want to be on, unless you have an International Data Plan. That will allow you to access all wifi services still, and also make calls at $2 a minute, so probably not for everyday use, but you can still make calls and (I think) send and receive texts for a reasonable amount. The second you turn International Data Roaming on, you will start sucking all kinds of data and you'll pay for it when you get home.