Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New expereience - a hidden gem

User Info Menu

A New expereience - a hidden gem

I just wanted to share a place I went to last week, you all have probably been before. Its 10 mins outside Sav and its called Abeokuta Paradise Nature Park. We arrived in the morning and the rasta there took us for a tour to the spring and also to the Oluma Rock. This rock is only known also to be in Abeokuta in Nigeria. The minerals in this water are apparantly full of healing qualities. After roots and ginger we took a swim in the massive 300 year old pool and then chilled out before lunch. There was a lovely rasta lady called Issah who made us ital patties which we washed down with red stripe and rum. Before taking the shower where the water flows out of the pool which really was like a massage.

It was a really chilled out day, this place is spiritual, magical - something amazing. People so friendly, couldnt do enough for us.

I have attached a link http://facebook.com/Abeokutajamaica.

Best Wishes.

User Info Menu

Abeokuta Jamaica - A Hidden Gem

http://www.jamaicans.com/tourist/art...abeokuta.shtml

Here is a link to a story about the Nature Park I wrote seven years ago.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Thanks Accompong that is really interesting!

User Info Menu

Accompong, you dont by change know anything about the Oluma rock do you?

User Info Menu

I love that place..a real little gem
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by annymc View Post
    Accompong, you dont by change know anything about the Oluma rock do you?
    Actually, I think the Olumo Rock is more of a clever marketing scheme devised in 2003 when the park officially opened. Yes, slaves from the Abeokuta region of Nigeria did name a large rock formation behind the Great House the "Olumo Rock" from a somewhat similar rock formation that is historically and religously significant in their home country. The name "Abeokuta" means "below the rock" so naturally the park adopted that name. The rocks are similar as to having small caves where people could hide but the composition of the rocks is completely different.

We hiked to the rock formation and hung out marveling at the vast Dean's Valley below. Mitzy and Owen are no longer the owners but the park is a wonderful place to chill out for a day and the water may not be actually healing anything but one's desire to escape Negril for a day!

Peace and Guidance

Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

I would really love to go to Abeokuta Paradise Nature Park myself come August, and just need to start asking around to see who would be the best guide to take me. I could just spend hours in that pool.

User Info Menu

What would one expect to pay for a ride to get there? Intrence fee?
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool

User Info Menu

We paid 60 for the cab and 10 each for the entrance fee. Did you see Howard? Was he the gentleman that took you on a tour? Have been there a few times and enjoy the day, very peacful and great pics of the mts.

User Info Menu

Yes Howard was there and he had some marvelous calabash's and bamboo ashtrays he had crafted. Some of the calabash were enourmous big enough for a salad bowl. Daddy was the host, a charming rasta who has deep knowledge of the history of Abeokuta and also of the healing herbs growing there.

Daddy took us for the tour to the spring and on the way back we took a dip in the flowing river, after the tour another rasta called Desmond had made some beet and ginger, it was the best i have ever tasted. We then went to the pool and swam and chilled out for a few hours, drank some cold red stripes and rum. Desmond had made some ital food, im not a veggie or anything but i was surprised, it was tasty and had he had prepared a lovely salad with it. It was great we all ate from the calabash's and chilled out. After lunch we hang out down by the pool area where the views are just stunning, had some more beers and listened to Bob Marley. As far as I am concerned I could live there, it has an amazing calmness about it, almost as if you have entered another zone. After swimming we bathed under the blasting shower, it was like a massage. I could go on and on about this place and the loads of little things that made it magical. I am gonna try and attach a photo i took of a little tiny birds nest i saw.

The great thing i found with my driver was he was easy going. I had always wanted to go the the Great House in whitehall, so he told us to start out a little earlier and he would show us. He had good knowledge of the history of this place, he was a good driver and we felt safe with him. We had arranged this trip through a rasta called Issha who had been introduced to us by some other tourists who recommended her. she arranged the whole package, driver, food and drink. Also we didnt feel rushed, to be honest none of us wanted to leave, but when we did the driver took us to a really cute bar on the road back to negril.

This was one of the most amazing days i have ever spent in Jamaica, its like being somewhere extremely special. Im gonna try and post this photo now.