Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How good a time would a Negril friend have for 1 week in your home town?

User Info Menu

How good a time would a Negril friend have for 1 week in your home town?

I've met so many wonderful friends in Negril through the years -- hotel workers, servers, security guards, boat captains, cliff divers, craft makers, cooks, drivers, et al.

I wonder how much fun someone like Clive or Bentley or Donovan the bartender or some of the Seastar staffers would have in Los Angeles for a one week -- huge spending budget included, of course.

I bet they would be wide-eyed!!! It would be fun to see their reaction to our beaches, our restaurants, things like that.

Of course in real life there are all sorts of travel issues and other red tape, but I have to ask: Would any of you fellow visitors love an opportunity to do something like this and bring a Negril friend home for a week?

User Info Menu

I did have a Negril friend come to my house for a few days. We did nothing exotic; trip to the Rocky Mountains, a restaurant meal and a BIG CostCO run so she could ship things back to JA. And together we made some mighty good yardie food in my kitchen. I sensed that I was more comfortable in Jamaica than she was here in Colorado.

User Info Menu

That's interesting ....

User Info Menu

I know my friend wants to see snow as he has only seen it on TV...LOL I could just imagine what that would be like the first time...its amazing the difference something we all take for granted can affect others.

User Info Menu

A great one as Chicago is the bomb.com!!!!
    Happy holiday family time!

User Info Menu

We were fortunate enough to have an entire family of 4 stay with us in our rural town in WV for 27 days. Their son was having surgery on his hand by the surgeon I worked for at the time. Yes, it was really tough getting all the visa's in line...and this was pre 9/11. But, it was the time of my life and career as an RN. Truly, it was phenomenal!!! We did nothing big, just small hometown things as well as the preparation for the surg, which was indeed scary for Mom and Dad, as well as the patient and his brother. Everything turned out great and we had time to enjoy the mountain streams of WV, as well as the escalator at Macy's which was a big hit with the boys. LOL They also loved Family Dollar Stores, Value City and Big Lots! One of their favorite laughs was the $1.00 Whoppie cushion at Family Dollar....many laughs were heard!! It was a time in my life that I will NEVER forget and always cherish. Still, to this day, we always get together with the family when we visit Negril. The little boy that was 6 at the time of surg. is now 19 years old and doing great!!!

If you ever have the chance to have an opportunity to help or just have someone visit....take the chance..........it is life-changing.

User Info Menu

that is so cool...but if I brought anyone to my hometown they would be pretty bored..not much to do..but if the weather is good, there is always swimming at the lake nearby..

User Info Menu

My first wife and I went to Negril in 1984 for our 10th anniversary. We met and communicated with a little girland her family in Whitehouse and she came to live with us. She arrived in February and lasted two months before she got so homesick she couldn't stand it anymore. As an adult, she worked in the hospitality industry in Whitehhouse, got hired by an American couple who had a resort in New England and eventually got her education here and works as a home health care aid. Her oldest son is in school here and her husband, younger son and new baby girl are in Whitehouse.

When Cosmo Brown came to Chicago from Negril to work in a restaurant, he didn't know how to use a cigarette vending machine. He returned and opened Cosmo's.

Frankly, if I had a choice between beaches in Cali (Chicago or anyplace else in the US) and Negril, I know where I'd watch the sun set in the ocean! Respect --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

Ive had a few of my Jamaican friends visit us. We live in a fairly small town. They mostly wanted to watch tv and cook good food and shop. Basically RELAX! Going out to restaurants was a little iffy because our food is just not the same. One of our friends came for Halloween this past year, we threw on some white paint and he was part of our vampire family. We also took a friend to a baseball game and obviously had to explain the game. He did get a cute picture with the mascot. One of my best friends from 18 years ago came and all she wanted to do was clean. (She does housekeeping for hotels), I had to tell her that #1 she made me feel dirty (a joke) and #2 she was not at my house to work. I would post pictures but I just havent been on the new forum enough to research how its done.

User Info Menu

they would like it much better in the heat of summer, I think they would be cold otherwise,,,,
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning