Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Brush up on your Spanish..Jamaica turns to South American tourist market.

User Info Menu

Brush up on your Spanish..Jamaica turns to South American tourist market.

http://www.stabroeknews.com/2011/news/breaking/06/01/jamaica-turns-to-south-american-tourist-market/

User Info Menu

Latin american Spanish is different from Europe Spanish so make sure you brush up on the right one

Español latinoamericano es diferente de Europa español tan se asegura de que repasa el correcto

User Info Menu

Are you talking about the difference between Castilian Spanish and Latin American Spanish? That's more of a pronunciation difference than content, in my opinion. Don't worry, you will understand and be understood if you are fluent in one or the other. Its the slang that gets you. And, when to use "te amo" or "te quiero", for example. That's a regional thing that differs from country to country. I minored in Spanish at university, but had not "immersed" until after graduation. I've never had any problem with the language in any of the seven Spanish speaking countries I've visited...and that's Central America, South America and Spain.
    Last edited by RockRobster; 06-01-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon

User Info Menu

I guess since Spanish is my first language I should give my opinion! !
    Spain is the only country in Europe that speaks Spanish, they colonized all of Latin America, reason why everybody speaks Spanish there! They are the same language! and by the way there are many more speakers of Spanish in Latin America than in Europe!
    That statement is like saying that English from the States is different from the English in England, Australia and even Jamaica !
    They may have different accents and a few colloquialism and regional words, but they are the same language!!
    Ive been to Spain and I understand everybody there, I think their accent is cute but is just that an accent and sometimes pronunciation!
    Sorry for the rant!

I know my english grammar sucks!
    Last edited by Bella Bea; 06-01-2011 at 11:48 PM.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I can't remember exactly, but there are 5-7 different dialects of Spanish in Central & South America...

User Info Menu

Hmm Ok so why does our Translation service offer Spanish (Europe) Spanish (Latin American) and Spanish (Mexican)

User Info Menu

Its the slang that gets you! Also, very illiterate people from any Spanish speaking country only know how to speak from what they've heard growing up. Same as any language. There are dialectical differences from region to region. That's the only reason I can think of for having those three different translation services. If you are not a native speaker, I can't imagine how you could effectively study the different dialects without immersion, so why bother?
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon