Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cambio vs resort?

User Info Menu

chibears, i avoid the whole issue by exchanging a lump sum at the cambio, then using only $J for my walking-around money. i never convert in my head, cause i don't care what the US equivalent is. i carry just local currency in my pocket, and use that for everything. for me, using only one currency is so much easier and less cumbersome than thinking about conversion for every little thing i buy during the day; it just doesn't matter to me whether or not i know the juice and coco bread in my hand for 250 $J is the equivalent of 2.85 $US. i have a pocket full of $J and just use it.

it's only for larger expenses, like buying a piece of artwork or a fancy dinner out, that i use the rule of thumb in multiples of 10; so i have some idea of what i'm spending in $US. Once you're there for a few days, it gets easy.
    Last edited by MissBlue; 04-16-2012 at 12:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Miss Blue and I - thinking alike again. LOL.
    ...and this time even posted at the same time, too (you beat me by one minute)

(edited and added) and your advice above is pretty much what I told them in my PM reply, too.

OK MB - I am thinking of a number between 1 and 100, what is it? LOL
    Last edited by Ohio_Buckeye_1; 04-16-2012 at 12:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks you guys. So the highest exchange rate is the best, as you I'll be getting more $j for your us dollar exchange. So the airport will always be a lesser number than Cambio. So if our airport transit charges $70 us, will he be offended if we give him the Jamaican equivelant for that?

User Info Menu

highest exchange rate is the best, as you I'll be getting more $j for your us dollar
    - Yes.

I don't think he would be 'offended', per se, but for your own ease-of-use, those larger expenses like airport transfers and hotel, will be easier for you to do in US, since you will have just arrived and you'll have no way to exchange that much $USD immediately to pay a driver in $J. (the airport cambio gives a bad rate, not good for exchanging large amounts) (and he may prefer the USD anyway - no way to know as that's an individual preference on their part).

plus that comes out to thousands in $J -- for these higher costs, it's just easier to deal with $USD, as it cuts down the confusion when you first arrive - imho of course. once you are using $J walking around for a few days, it will become more familiar to you, and easier to do. now, for your return trip to the airport, once you've become familiar with using local currency, you could always ask him what the charges would be in $J, and it may actually save you a few bucks.

@ ohio buckeye -- 73???? lol.
    Last edited by MissBlue; 04-16-2012 at 12:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Agree with MissBlue! I exchange at the cambio in mulitples of $100us. Keeps the math really simple that way. Then use J's on the beach or for local bar drinks. Credit Cards with no foreign transaction fees for larger purchases. I don't try to do conversions when partying and praising jah, too much thinking. I don't track my cash spending on a daily basis since I know how much cash I started with when I leave home and I know how much I have when I return. 15 hours to lift off soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited.
    Praise Jah