Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for the Ladies

User Info Menu

Yes you can "get nails" with a gel manicure. The tips are applied along wih the gel.

You never see it coming ... and the next thing you know ... UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

User Info Menu

Oh well, I guess I'll just stick with my own nails while there! But I AM getting a pedicure

User Info Menu

Just my "2 cents" on gel mani's.... the past 2 trips ( last june and this past march) I have had them done by gel mani- hoping they would last HOWEVER they have always peeled off bits and bits by day 4, I guess probably because of the salt water??? Anyway, next month I'm just bringing my good old fashioned bottle of polish to do my touch ups
    Deanna (aka DeeDee from NY)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garysteph1018 View Post
    MEN... they don't get it! I want to make sure my hand looks pretty wrapped around that Red Stripe!!!!
    HA HA HA HA! You are so right! It's all about how pretty your hand looks wrapped around the Red Stripe! I knew the women could relate to this question! HA HA HA.

OK, Mis Blue had me all excited and now Deanna has me scared to try it. I'll be there for 2 full weeks and don't want to deal with peeling, icky nails. Now I'm on the fence again. Miss Blue, do you know if the gel can be done for French Manicure? If it's only color, then my decision is made. I don't like the way my nails look with color so I'd only be doing it if I could get the gel French Manicure.

What to do? What to do?

User Info Menu

oh! awesome garysteph, that is good to know, well learn sumthin new everyday i tellya, haha!

yep BJL you can get a french manicure with gel.

the only time mine have peeled early was when i went to one particular salon; i went back and tried them again to see if it was a fluke, but same thing happened. i changed salons and the others haven't chipped, so it also has to do with the skill of the manicurist with the product. there's also several different brands of gel -- the place i go to now uses one called "Gelish" and it seems to be a very good one -

there's also a new nail salon in negril that has gotten excellent reviews - so if you did get a gel mani and it doesn't last properly while there, you could always have the gel removed and/or get a new mani there if you really had to. it only takes a half hour to remove, not a big production like acrylics

you could get one now, and see how it is and how well it lasts; then you have some leeway in deciding when it comes time for your trip.
    Last edited by MissBlue; 04-24-2012 at 12:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Is the gel manicure you are talking about the same as a shellac manicure? My experience with Shellac is great; no chips, no peeling and no damage to the nails. Eventually your nails grow enough that you have to remove it because you can see the regrowth. Color selection is limited to about 30 shades though. I only know of one person who has not had success with the Shellac and her technician told her that she had very oily nails and the product just wouldn't bond to her nails.

User Info Menu

yes! Same as shellac! i think "Shellac" is a brand name of one kind of gel, it was the first one that came out, now there are other brands on the market too.

User Info Menu

I have the same problem with oily nail beds too. Only once in my life did I have a manacurist who knew how to do it right - and she taught me. Now when I paint my own nails using her method, the polish will last a good 3-4 days easy before the first chip (as long as I'm not doing dishes all day long or something). Once she moved away, I've tried to explain to other manacurists the process but they screw it up and it will only last a day, maybe two.

Here is the process my GOOD manacurist did for regular polish that works the best! First, wash your nails and scrub real good using a nail brush with soap and water. Dry with clean paper towel (not a used regular towel that may have oil from previously handling). Once you've cleaned and dried your nails DO NOT EVER touch the nails again or you will transfer oil right back onto them. Step two, use a nail drying product. This usually comes in a normal type bottle but it's a liquid almost like water. You just kind of slop it all over your nails. This is yet another drying agent along with the soap you just used. Third step - use "Bonder" as the base coat. It includes a ruberized agent in it to allow your nails to be pliable without breaking the polish. Then finish with regular polish and top coat.

The problem with most nail salons is after they clean your nails, they like to run their hands over your hands transfering oil right back to your nail bed and negating the whole purpose of cleaning them to get the oil off. I've tried to explain this to them but they undoubtely hold or touch my hands in a way that just puts their oil right back onto my hand.

Thanks for the info about the salon in Negril. I think I've heard of it. Good to know so that I can just have them taken off if they start peeling. I think I'm going to give this a try. And maybe give it a try before I go too just to make sure!

User Info Menu

I had Shellac ( like a gel, hardens under UV light) done on ly toes. My pedicure lasted for 3 weeks of walking in the sand. Colour faded a bit but no chipping and super shiney. Highly recommend it.
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

This is the type CND, that I had. Awesome
    http://www.cnd.com/Consumer.aspx
    url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]