Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: No space using miles the whole summer!

User Info Menu

No space using miles the whole summer!

I just thought this was crazy! I started looking in April for the summer time since I have miles with AA I need to use. Then I thought maybe it was too soon to look...but it does indeed seem that the entire summer June-August is blocked for using miles...unless you go way up to the anytime miles which is something like 30,000 each way.

I am bummed.
    "Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" R.N.M

User Info Menu

We usually use AA miles....but I book at least 6 months out......look daily...sometimes it opens up

User Info Menu

I'm using my AA miles for my winter trip. They've changed their mileage amount it appears - now something like 75K to fly first rountrip SFO/Jamaica. And that's for the Plan AAhead miles. Last year I booked 3.5 months out, got seats but not my preferred route (got SFO-JFK-MBJ as opposed to SFO-MIA-MBJ). This year I plan on booking 4.5 months out and I'm nervous. Good thing I'm flexible with dates.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rastagirl777 View Post
    got seats but not my preferred route.
    Since I am flying from Florida that might be one of the problems is the limited routes available. The only choice is through MIA. Then I think to myself, I should really make the most out of the miles and use them for somewhere that would normally cost a lot of money to fly too....problem is I just don't want to go anywhere else. Sad, I know.
    "Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" R.N.M

User Info Menu

Fares to Europe are so sky high now that I would think that's the best bang for the buck with miles.
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon

User Info Menu

I just used my miles to purchase our trip for Jan. - April with USAir. 55,000 miles pp, round trip, first class. Still, I wish just one airline would fly direct from Boston!

User Info Menu

Cathie, good mileage deal. I'm holding my breath, plan on booking once I finish my spring tour...I'm on the last stop. Now I'm biting my nails that I didn't leave enough time. We'll see what happens...

User Info Menu

Last month we used our USAir miles for our November trip. The mile prices were crazy until you got 6 months out. Since I never tryed booking MBJ I just thought this is how it must always be for Jamaica. Very limited and very pricey. We checked daily for a couple weeks and when some dates popped up that we like we booked. I agree with S&J ... just keep checking daily.

"Don't be no cloud on a sunny day" - Volkswagen's "Get Happy" Super Bowl ad

User Info Menu

I usually check daily...and when I find a flight I like, I "HOLD" the reservation in the AA system...it holds for 5 days....then I keep looking for flights with less miles or a direct flight. After 5 days I hold again....
    We usually fly out on Thanksgiving Day....sometimes its double miles and sometimes not, thats why I keep looking and holding....
    Usually we can get a direct flight out of DFW for around 35,000 miles round trip/person. Since its only a 3 1/2 flight we usually don't spend the miles for first class (save them for next trip) usually we have enough miles for our twice a year trips this way.