Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr. X does Negril (2010) with No Reservations

User Info Menu

Ohhh Mr.X.... SOOO looking forward to you report...
    "Live for today as tomorrow is not promised" Live....Love....Laugh....

User Info Menu

I like the way you write... can't wait to hear your recap. I'm planning my first and no joke these trip reports help so much, I appreciate you taking the time share.
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

Mr. X Does Negril (2010) with No Reservations

Chapter 5 - Hotels

2010 Hotel Want List

Coffee

Got to have lots of good coffee. That’s first on list? Well I am just saying I like to start the day off with good coffee. And I am in Jamaica home to some of the worlds best coffee so … In addition I like to have breakfast at the place I am staying or close by. I might be up 3 hours before wife, got to be able to eat if needed. Got some routines even on vacation. It makes a difference to me if breakfast is included in room rate. And if the breakfast is good.

Most important to me is view.
    Can be view of the Great Morass, of mountains or just view of the property. I like to sit outside on patio, deck or balcony and give thanks and praise in a semi-private space. If we have a view of water, beach or ocean then that much the better.

Room
    Want the room to be clean and safe. Don’t need luxury just clean and maintained. Dont care about flat screen tv. In fact I dont care if room has TV or telephone. Wife would like TV. Prefer a room safe but depending on the property not a deal breaker. The safe at the RIU Tropical Bay was easy to use and putting laptop, iPods, money and passports was comforting. And really easy.

Where to stay
    She wants beach and I want cliffs. So some kind of combo sounds like the order for the week.

The first choice for me on cliffs would be Catcha Falling Star. Have not stayed there in 13 years but was there last year for dinner at Ivan’s. Only sunset of our vacation that was not beautiful. Pool was not finished but I have seen the photos online and it looks perfect. The grounds were beautiful, flowers everywhere. When I stay there I will not want to leave. I can just sit on those cliffs and stare at the beautiful vista with the ocean crashing against the rocks. Looks mostly booked up and rates are above what we can really afford.

Catcha Falling Star Gardens (old LTU gardens) looks great and affordable but not on water and no pool yet (Nov 2010?) so maybe I could use that on days when we are on the go all day and just want clean safe place to sleep. Big rooms. Big patios/terraces. Special rate of $50 a night with the 4th night free seems like a great deal. When you add the almost 20% tax and then divide by 4 it works out to $45 a night. Fan only rooms.

Seems like Seastar Inn could do this as well. Their $59 rooms look fine and they include all taxes plus breakfast. So for $14 more we get breakfast for 2 and a pool and AC. Plus not have to commit to 4 days.

I see something about the Blue Cave Castle. Cannot help it always wanted to check that place out. Somebody is writing on (Negril.com) asking should they stay in Penthouse in late September because it is available? Everybody says yes!!! Hey wait I am going to be there in September too. So I check on their website and Penthouse is available for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of our trip. Rate is $120 a night plus tax. At top end of my budget. But it’s the Penthouse of a Castle and its Wife’s birthday on Wednesday!

3 night minimum, know it would be worth it but don’t/can’t commit for 3 days right yet. Will call or email if I can do 1 or 2 nights. Soon as I said the word Penthouse wifey was in. The fact that the Penthouse sat on top of a Castle perched on the Caribbean Sea in my favorite place in the world was just an added bonus.

I call Blue Cave Castle and ask can we do 2 nights Wednesday (9/8) and Thursday (9/9) in the Penthouse. No problem. I pay in advance (because I have the money today). Tax title delivery it is about $280 so $140 a night. Wednesday night is wife’s birthday so staying in the Penthouse of a castle on the ocean killing 2 birds with 1 Penthouse.

Would have booked the penthouse of BCC for Friday night as well but she wants to stay at the Ritz Carlton Rose Hall (MoBay Area). Knows somebody and we can get special rate. Free? blah, blah, blah.
    How special rate? She is vague so we will see.

Have pretty much decided to go with Seastar Inn on the Saturday we get to Jamaica. She wants to make sure we have a place. Does not look to be a problem. They have Saturday night buffet, band, webcast etc. that goes to midnight. Rave reviews for Seastar Inn from Board. Regulars seem to LOVE the Seastar Inn. Don’t want to go too expensive. Plan on arriving about 5pm. Check in room. Don’t unpack much. Slip out and see sunset happy hour and hopefully get in water. Maybe LTU, Xtabi or even Canoe. Then come back for dinner buffet/show about 8pm.

Special on Negril.com for $200 total for 4 nights at Xtabi. Check around must be for rooms across road. They have air conditioning. I call Xtabi directly. They don’t know anything about internet special tell me to call back in 15 minutes. 30 minutes later I call back and they tell me that special is just for August. So don’t matter. But 30% off in September ok then I will check back later.

Days we have no hotel Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. BCC for Wednesday and Thursday and assuming we stay at Ritz Carlton Rose Hall on Friday.

August 6th, 2010 (D-Day minus 29)
    Wife emailed friend about Ritz no news yet. I would like to do the zip line in MoBay but $89 each plus tip and if we will be staying at the Ritz so everything will be expensive. If we eat dinner at Ritz, do zip line, drinks at Ritz even if it is only a $99 a night then it could easy be a $500 day. Not saying it would not be worth it just it’s a lot of money considering I don’t care that much about it. No zip line will save probably half that with tips transport snacks drinks etc. Ok if she gets Ritz deal we will have to skip zip line this trip. Besides she went on zip line in Mexico this year so it is only me who gets no zip line. I know it would be fun but it will be there next year or the next….

Seeing $99 suite special at Tree House for September want to leave our options open but if it’s got a balcony with a view and includes breakfast (which is supposed to be excellent). Got to find out about what suites are good at Tree House.

Thinking stay down at far end of cliffs 1st two days (Seastar Inn). Then beach for 2 days (where?) make her happy and I can check out other places. Then Blue Cave Castle on early part of cliffs then probably last day at Ritz Carlton (MoBay). So that would be cliffs, beach, cliffs, and beach. I know that’s a lot of moving but how else are we going to experiences lots of places. Last year stayed whole time at RIU Tropical Bay so I am excited about staying at different places.

Got to try to stick with plan of keeping options open.
    No reservations.

August 8th, 2010 (D-Day minus 27)
    Xtabi has specials including ocean front cottages for $65 a night for 3 nights got to pay cash. No problem. Wow what a deal. Damn just for 8/8 to 8/15/2010. Maybe some kind of deal week we are there. Been by Xtabi from road and sea many times, heard a lot about it but never been there. They have run a lot of specials recently but I would have to know more about which room and which price. Still would like to see the property, drink at the famous bar and go snorkeling. In fact probably would like to go there Saturday when we check in the Seastar Inn so we can see the sunset and jump in the water while we are there. Plus we can check out if any rooms are available when where how much.

Have semi schedule then change based on where we are staying and what deals we get.

Check Bookit.com who I used last year but cannot seem to get any good deals on just hotel rooms.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 02-09-2012 at 08:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Chapter 5 (cont) – Hotel

August 9th, 2010 (D-Day minus 26)

Papamark with his daily musings reporting directly from the Blue Cave Castle so I got a pretty good idea what is going on at BCC. Sounds like having my own snorkel gear, float and footies (so not cut my baby feet) will be perfect to just float and snorkel along cliffs.

Kind of excited thinking about staying at a place like Xtabi right on the water for $65 a night! Boss still wants reservations for the first night. I am going to wait as long as I can because nothing going on that week so most places are not going to be anywhere near full.

Wifey says Cocolapalm has $100 a night suite on their website.
    She cannot take it anymore not having hotels all lined up with less the 4 weeks to go.
    What is there to take?
    The prices are getting better every day! Be calm!
    Your ONE JOB is the Ritz on Friday night how’s that going?
    HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING!
    If you don’t find out soon we are going to stay in the Penthouse at Blue Cave Castle for 1 more night!! FINE! (Super cool! I say to myself)

August 11th, 2010 (D-Day minus 24)
    Going through old trip reports for ideas. Somebody asked about Idle Awhile. Looks really cool. Love those covered patios. Got to check that place out when we are there. Looks a little out of my budget on this trip but you never know. $130 plus tax would be $156. I am sure it’s worth it just cannot afford it this trip. Also they are owned by Couples Swept Away so you get to use their sports Facilities. I don’t really care about that for me on vacation but if you have friends that are all into that it would be nice. My father would probably play tennis 3 or 4 times a week so looks like a good place.

I have been checking Catcha Falling Star website regularly. Given the choice I would love to stay there but cannot afford it. On website there are only 2 rooms available for the Saturday we arrive and both are 2 bedrooms suites at $175. Sunday they only have 2 rooms available but Monday (Labor Day in US) and Tuesday they are only half full at most so maybe …

Sale at Catcha hits Negril.com yes! Finally! 25% off rooms in September! Fine print for 2nd and 4th week not for the 1st week when we are there. OK no problem $70 for Gatehouse cottage and Capricorn 1. I could do the Gatehouse because it has a little private patio but the Capricorn 1 has no patio or view but you are on the property.

Wife’s friend stayed at the Ritz Carlton Rose Hall and thought it was sooo nice. Whatever! They probably never even left the property. Has not heard from friend with the hook up at the Ritz. Would not be punishment to stay at the Ritz, just would rather stay in Negril for 1 more day.

August 12, 2010 (D-Day minus 23)
    What if we stayed in a different place every night? Well it would be a pain packing and unpacking. Unless you planned it like that. Mrs. Rockafeller doubt will go for it. Would be cool to check out lots of places. Another problem is you usually have to check out by 12pm and new check in is 3pm at most places could be a problem dealing with suitcases.

Banana Shout
    Read the reviews would like to see the place meet the owner Milo. With only a few rooms on the property I know it would be worth it but still probably out of my budget this trip. At $100 a night looks pretty cool. I actually stayed on this property for 1 night 20 years ago. But that was before Ivan.

August 13th, 2010 (D-Day minus 22)
    Only special I saw today was the Yellow Bird. Think I should check out when we are there. Special starting at $48 but don’t know which rooms that is. Says good happy hour there would like to check that place out.

Boss still wants to stay on beach for two days but have not got figured out where yet. I would like a great room at a good price or a good room at a great price.

BarBBarn
    Read all the reviews on TA very mixed. Much better on travel reports on Negril.com. Did a search on Negril.com and read everything in last 2 years. People who like it seem to really like it. (Seveen) I read about some really bad rooms. Other people like rooms. I just will have to see the room in person. Beach looks good. No pool but not a big deal with the beach right in front of me and no kids. I know there will be lots of people try to talk to us. No problem. Special is $65 total with breakfast. $90 total for breakfast and dinner. $20 max per person on dinner plus complimentary drinks. Not counting drinks that’s $40 for dinner so that leaves $50 for the room and breakfast. Well if the room is acceptable to boss lady, seems like another sweet deal to me. Bourbon Beach is next door and they have a show on Monday Night might be cool. Jamaican owned.

August 16th, 2010 (D-Day minus 19)
    Not much happening today. Looks like room is not available at Ritz Carlton Rose Hall. Another day and night in Negril. Nice. Don’t know where we will stay last night but so many places so many options.

Thinking it would be nice to stay at Seastar Inn first 4 days. Would be good for my budget and make things easier. Mrs. Rockefeller wants the beach so I got my work cut out for me. We are going to be on the beach Sunday at Aqua for webcast and Wednesday at Rhodes Hall. Maybe one day looking at places on the beach. Last night we are there stay at the beach such as Idle Awhile. Maybe 1 night.

Checked exact info for our trip last year to RIU Tropical Bay which is now the RIU Palace Tropical Bay. To get same flights and everything else the same as we had last year is about $3600 for which we paid $2600.

August 19th, 2010 (D-Day minus 16)
    Still think the Seastar Inn will be perfect and affordable for the first night if they are doing the webcast and party.

More reading just makes me want to stay on the cliffs and play on the beach. I like walking on the beach but doubt long walks at night on beach.

Thursday August 26th, 2010 (D-Day minus 9)
    Trying not to let work interfere with my vacation dreaming/planning. Checked Negril.com. Aqua’s bar is closed and no webcast for 2 weeks including the Sunday when we are going to be there. Lol. that’s 2 years in a row will miss Sunday webcast at Aqua. Well that kind of was the plan on Sunday sunset. Ok no problem

August 27th, 2010 (D-Day minus 8)
    Agreed to book Seastar Inn (she is freaking? About going on vacation with no reservations.) Sure I know on the surface it looks strange to the uninitiated. But its offseason. You can go on hotel website and put dates in and see that many are completely empty. Not going to be a problem to find a room. I will book a room for first night. Just got to wait until have the money I guess.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 02-09-2012 at 12:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
    [B]Thursday August 26th, 2010 (D-Day minus 9)
    Trying not to let work interfere with my vacation dreaming/planning.
    I'm encountering that same problemo right now matter of fact. lol Looking forward to Chapter 6
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

Mr. X Does Negril (2010) with No Reservations

Chapter 6 - Budget

Budget for trip.

Looks like we will have about $1600.
    So that’s exactly $200 per day for 8 days/7 nights.
    Airfare already paid and is a distant memory.
    Not exactly Rock Star budget (old boardie Michael can explain this to you) but not $10 a day budget (Smith744) or even his purported budget of $20 a day for 2011 either. Btw he is not traveling with Mrs. Rockafeller. This is offseason in a slow ass year.

Got Wednesday and Thursday night at the Blue Cave Castle already paid for so got $200 on those days. Will need the $200 on last day to get to airport, gifts, meals and get car out of airport parking in Atlanta (1 week) so don’t try to get in that.

$1600.
    $200 a day.
    This includes everything from transportation to souvenirs.
    Every Single Thing.
    Not worried about sticking to exact budget on a given day just overall average of $200 per day.
    Running Estimated Total for 2010 would be $1600 plus paid $280 at Blue Cave Castle and $474 to Delta for a rounded total of $2354. ($2400).
    2009 at RIU TROPICAL BAY it was $2600 plus spent probably $800 extra so a total of $3400.
    Apples to Apples I saved over $400 on airfare 2010 vs 2009
    so estimated for 2010 if I stay on budget would be $2400 verse a prorated $3000 in 2009 when airfare difference is allowed for.
    So I guess we will see how it compares AI vs non AI.

Wifey says that seems high budget.
    You would be surprised honey how much stuff cost in the real world.
    Let’s say we go Horseback Riding and by the time we get back with horses, tips, transportation there and back we have spent $130 easy and the hotel is $70 so that’s our total budget for the day so no money for food, drinks anything!

(Her) LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT SO YOU CAN EAT 20 JERK CHICKENS ON VACATION BUT WE CAN’T GO HORSEBACK RIDING ON MY BIRTHDAY?

Apples and Oranges.
    Yes we can go horseback riding. I am just trying to demonstrate how easy it is to spend $200 a day on vacation. We just have to spend less some days so we can spend more other days. If we stay at Seastar Inn 4 nights ($59) a night including all taxes and breakfast that gives us $141 dollars a day to spend with hotel and breakfast paid for.
    Not VIP budget but this is what we got to work with and it is offseason.
    Frankly I am thinking that’s a lot of money but I know how stuff adds up on vacation.
    Quite confident I can budget it’s just I have to keep Mrs. Rockafeller out of the shopping areas.

It might be cheaper to rent a car whole vacation but I hate driving.
    I don’t want to be the designated driver as usual, I want to relax and be the village idiot.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 02-09-2012 at 01:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Keep it comin' Mr.X....
    "Live for today as tomorrow is not promised" Live....Love....Laugh....

User Info Menu

Yeahmon, can't wait to hear where you ended up and how it all worked out! Suspense, suspense! ;-))

User Info Menu

This is so great! I've been really enjoying your writing! I've been devouring every word! You have great insights and thoughts that are a pleasure to read. I also can't wait to hear how it all ended up!

"Crystal Clear Water – So what? I grew up on the East Coast of USA where ocean water is green. Cannot see 1 inch under water usually. Since I was kid in the 70’s every time I get chest deep in any non-clear water music starts playing in my head. Same music. Always the same music. Dun Dun … Dun Dun … Dun Dun (Jaws). "
    lol - Boy do I relate. I grew up on the east coast too and I always had the JAWS music playing in my head everytime I entered that murky water.

Negril was such a welcome change. I was in utter bliss. That was the first of many things that just blew me away about Jamaica. The people, the culture, the food.. everything. You summed it up really well in your "Why Jamaica?" post.

I can't wait to go back! Thanks for sharing this. Please Keep it coming
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Not to rush you MrX but ummm its been a few days since you posted more of your report. Just thought I'd put it out there (since I'm sitting here patiently (or not so patiently) waiting for the rest)