Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: What is the history of Pirates in Negril? And has anyone ever found a treasure coin?

User Info Menu

What is the history of Pirates in Negril? And has anyone ever found a treasure coin?

I was hoping to find a buried treasure when I snorkel this coming month in Negril, and I was wondering of the history of Pirates in Bloody Bay and seven-mile beach .... any thoughts?

User Info Menu

Calico Jack Rackham along with Anne Bonney & Mary Reade supposedly hung out in Negril and were ultimately captured there. You can find lots of stories about them but most if not all are apocryphal.

Yargh...
    Ed
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Here is a link to article from the Gleaner

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/pages/history/story0024.html

User Info Menu

found a 250.00 ring, in the shallows off Booby Cay one year........posted notes at various places............everybody lost it, but nobody could remember what it
    looked like.....lol
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

Sure there is lost treasure in the water off Jamaica.

I read that only 10% of all sunken ships and treasure have been found.

Good luck.

I always keep my eyes open, hoping and praying for a find.

Maybe the East coast had more pirates.

User Info Menu

most Pirates in Jamaica where in Port Royal(Kingston) which was the capital of da Pirates in da Caribbean.......
    though there were Pirates scattered all along Jamaica's coasts........
    with most of the wata being so shallow in Negril it didn't lends itself to being a good harbor for ships.....
    but it was a great place to hideout away from the mainstream of militarises that were looking for Pirates........
    though it was kinda a run of bad luck that Calico Jack was finally captured in Negril.......

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Pirate treasure? No one I know has found anything of that nature. Smuggler treasure - that is another story.

User Info Menu

I've scuba dove all over Negril for many years and have found lots of unusual things...but no pirates booty.

I did find a nice real gold chain with an Egyptian ankh on it not far from Blue Cave Castle. My wife wears it regularly....

User Info Menu

Ooohh ~ the possibilities. This thread made me shiver. Mr. Twister, good find.
    Life is good ~ Life on the beach is better!