Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's up with funky tasting Pizza in negril?

User Info Menu

What's up with funky tasting Pizza in negril?

Haven't been everywhere, but the pizza tastes funny in Negril, and I think it's the cheese. Are there any places that serve pizza that tastes NY City style or real Chicago? I've heard good things about Tree House .....

User Info Menu

Are there any places that serve pizza that tastes NY City style or real Chicago?
    uhmmm. No.

it's negril. it's not comin anywhere near NYC or Chicago. And i wouldn't expect it to. anything they cook will have their own unique style.

you might get pizza approaching that quality in Kingston though -
    Last edited by MissBlue; 06-06-2011 at 12:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Why would you want pizza or anything for that matter just like you have at home? I go to Jamaica for the differences in food etc..

User Info Menu

keep in mind most people have no idea what real pizza is.

so that's why you hear a lot of recommendations that might leave you scratching your head.

i know those are fighting words to many. so let me just back this up by saying that my nonna was off the boat sicilian and made her own pizza from the sunday sauce. yes we called it sauce, gravy was for turkey. some italians do call it gravy. i dunno. i think it's how the various italian immigrant communities learned english. I never looked into it nor do i have the facility, but it would be interesting to see if there was any correlation to where in NYC or so the various enclaves set roots in and compare that to the usage of either gravy or sauce. now that i think about it, all the napolitan I know say gravy, all the sicilians say sauce. far from conclusive.

anyway- italian cafe on the beach road had a good pie- a little thin so I asked for double or smaller thicker pies.

sunrise club- even calzones. good focaccia.

the closest to ny style was at 23/7, but that's gone.

there are only one or two other places i have not tried or won't for various reasons.

there are other pizza in negril, there was another nice spot but it's done now too, so other than those two and an occasional pie from angela's, but that's where i tell people to go and where I go.

i heard a few nice things said about the pizza party at rhodes hall.

jx2
    Why would you want pizza or anything for that matter just like you have at home? I go to Jamaica for the differences in food etc..
    no offense jx2, but consider- there are some times when you need something other than a plate of chicken and hard and soft food. especially if you are down more than 7 days at a pop. jamaica is also not just a vacation spot, it's a country as well, with citizens and long term visitors that should be able to have whatever cuisines it wants to have. plenty of people in jamaica eat non jamaican foods and enjoy them, beyond fast food it's good to have other cuisines representing and using fresh Jamaican produce to do it. there was a dearly missed now thai spot on the west end for a while that had a wait of HOURS, and with reason, for example.

jamaica itself has a rich history of foods that all went into, and continues to go into, it's cuisine.

you wouldn't have half of what you probably enjoy eating as "jamaican" food if not for other cuisines coming into the picture and delivering the goods.
    "I beseech thee, my lord , let this venture be mine..."

-Sir Gawain

User Info Menu

Hey JX2, good on you for going to Jamaica for your local fare fix. However, I am with Monk on wanting something different. I would love to have a whole pie that was worthy to back home pies. NY style thin crust makes it's way into my kitchen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by booger View Post
    Hey JX2, good on you for going to Jamaica for your local fare fix. However, I am with Monk on wanting something different. I would love to have a whole pie that was worthy to back home pies. NY style thin crust makes it's way into my kitchen.
    Why did i know that when i posted this someone would get there panties in a bunch? First of where did i say anything about not eating any other cultural food other then Jamaican? My point was that i sure don't expect any food there to be just like what i can find in my hometown or home country for that matter. I think you have read way more into my post then what i said.

User Info Menu

i think it was the part of your post where you said "I go to..."

but okay no matter, but why not expect food equal to or maybe even from time to time better than back at home? I know I have had way better italian food in Negril than some spots in the US! think about it bredren, if all I knew of italian food was olive garden (god forbid) anyone of 5 or 6 italian restaurants would trump that experience, you see what i'm saying.

jamaica has awesome chefs, and tons of expats who open up spots to cater to expat communities and locals alike.

i don't wear panties, at least none I can say are mine- normally- so no worries about bunching here!
    Last edited by monk; 06-06-2011 at 02:20 AM.
    "I beseech thee, my lord , let this venture be mine..."

-Sir Gawain

User Info Menu

I haven't eaten alot of pizza in Negril. I've had the pizza at Rhodes Hall & most recently, the new thin crust pizza at Sea Star. Both are good but I preferred Sea Star's. Lots of cheese and the toppings of your choice (cheese tasted fine to me)
    And they deliver anywhere in Negril!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    [url=http://www.ticker.7910.org/eng]

The 1st time you travel to Negril, for the rest of your life, Negril travels with you.
    (taken from realnegril.com/beingees - Graffiti #13)

User Info Menu

I've had pretty good pizze twice from Chances. Once I had to wait for fresh dough, but who wouldn't want that and that pizza was great.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pizza.jpg 
Views:	748 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	1798

Sept 4-13 (Birthday Trip) CCLP/Hills

User Info Menu

Bella Donna's on the clifs, best pizza in Negril. She lived in Italy for many years!