Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Money Exchange- Cambio or High Low- Need a little help from my friends

User Info Menu

Money Exchange- Cambio or High Low- Need a little help from my friends

On our way to hotel were going to stop at the High Low to get some drinks and snacks for hotel. Where and how is the best way to exchange some money.

1) Can I exchange at the high low or do I need to make a seperate stop at a cambio?

2) What is easier...exchanging American Cash for J's or just using a debit card at the machine. All things being equal I would prefer not to use debit/credit card would prefer straight up cash for J's.

17 days and a wake up...but who's counting ;0)

User Info Menu

American dollars are accepted pretty much everywhere.Do not worry there are lots of places to exchange money if you really want to and there are cash machines too.You will be fine
    If you are american just take your usual currency and go with the flow and see what you want to do when you get there!

User Info Menu

hilo and cambio are same rate - either way is fine - i always use atms in negril as well - no problem

User Info Menu

For years I have used the F/X Trader Cambio at the Hi-Lo. They know me and there is no long wait like at the banks. Same rate as the other Cambios and fewer prying eyes than at the ATM's. We stop by the Hi-Lo every few days anyway for snacks and bevs so it's convenient. I have used the ATM's in a pinch. But prefer the safety of Travelers Checks.

Bless...
    Ed
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

If you are going to Hi Lo anyway for supplies, just change money there and save yourself another stop. I too prefer cash/travelers checks to debit/credit/atm. If it were me, I would take USA cash and change it all at the hi lo when you stop.

User Info Menu

i normally take about US$100 in low notes and TCs and then change at Hi-Lo as i go. Some words of caution on using ATMs check with your bank if there is any charges, some charge some don't, also let your bank know you are out of the country, last trip a UK couple had there card blocked by their bank who thought that the card have been cloned, it took a few phone calls to sort out.

User Info Menu

am a cautious one ...
    have always used HiLo as i like the privacy of the "little room" but everyone know why u in that line so normally there is a "trusted person" close by
    have never used debit ... i get "itchy" with my numbers "out there"
    i carry US cash and travel checks....never in my back pocket. sure there may be a safe but people lose keys to safes. establishments "supposed" to change locks but dunno if this happens. i care not to b in a situation without some $
    don't know if it helps anything other than my peace of mind but i notify my bank that i will b in jamaica and will call them if i am going to make big transactions. i also make a copy of credit cards w/contact numbers.....never had a need for it but i enjoy the peace of mind it brings if i did have to make a call.

User Info Menu

I spoke with Citi Bank and they informed me that there is a 4 % conversion fee/rate for all transactions....plus the Jamaican ATM usage fee plus a Citibank ATM usage fee of $4.00. Multiple transactions would defintely start to add up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyboombatz View Post
    I spoke with Citi Bank and they informed me that there is a 4 % conversion fee/rate for all transactions....plus the Jamaican ATM usage fee plus a Citibank ATM usage fee of $4.00. Multiple transactions would defintely start to add up.
    yes it does,

just reading on visa's website about pre paid travel card, you load it with the amount of money you want and then use it like a debit card, its not linked to your bank account