Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Cottage, Villa, or Hotel Room??

User Info Menu

Cottage, Villa, or Hotel Room??

I am a Cottage guy. I can also go detached Villa, but for some reason, the idea of a hotel room in Negril seems strange to me. I have visited friends at various "hotel" type venues and found them very nice...BUT; not my ideal for a stay in Negril, but that's just me. Some Cottages that I have stayed in and something about them.

1. Mrs Ruby's House, 1969, 1970 ... In the Red Ground. Before Electricity. Hurricane lamps, no fridge or fan, Mrs. Ruby's family lived in the cottage in the back of the yard and rented beds for about $1.50/night for up to 3 people per bed Hot water supplied by a garden hose coiled on the roof. All other water tepid at best. Mrs. Ruby was like a mom to all who stayed there.

2. Mr. Palmer's House 1973, 1974, 1975... Also known as Starfish Mon. In the Red Ground. Two cottages there, one with a kitchen AND a refrigerator. Not enough electricity to freeze water in the ice tray, but enough to produce cool water, my first taste of cool water in the Red Ground. Close to the church, and on Sunday Morning you could hear the music loud and clear. Nights were pitch black and you could hear the conversations and songs of the passers by at night.

3. Yellow Bird Sea Tell. 1975. My first stay on the beach. No other beach hotels of any sort for miles. We were all by ourselves, another couple and the Mrs. and me, and it was GREAT! We asked the gardener, fisherman, maintenance guy, and gate keeper about security and he replied..."If a thief come in the night, I hack em up and call the police in the morning. We slept secure there for sure!

4. Gemini 1. at Catcha 2006 ... My first stay in Jamaica in over 30 years. Lisa and I loved the little place and Catcha for sure. Air Conditioned wow!

5. Bananas Gardens 2007 ... Across from Ricks. Spartan, with a nice little porch, surrounded by every plant that grows in Jamaica with trail and pond. Outside and walled shower. gated and secure. Float around in the pool until you hear Rick's band crank up, then take a shower and dress, cruise on over to Ricks to observe the latest bunch, then it's off to LTU for some good conversation.

6. Xtabi, room six (I think) 2008. The next to the last cottage on the cliff side. Double door in the front for that wonderful sea view, first thing in the morning. Nice patio area overlooking the sea crashing into that little cove. With another cottage to the left and below, and one to the right and in front, you are never intruding on another party. A nice private spot all in all.

7. The Moon, at Catcha 2009 By far my favorite cottage yet. A double;We stayed with another couple and the Moon Cottage was JUST the Thing. Wonderful veranda, set in the trees, with the front facing the Caribbean....BLAM! The best night is when the electricity wend down all over Negril. Candles and some guy sing and playing acoustic in the distance......like a dream.

8. CatchaGarden 2010. For the money, in my opinion, the best deal on the cliffs. Not quite a single cottage as there is an upper and lower, but private enough for me, a great room at a great price, my favorite location, and now with a pool.

User Info Menu

3. Yellow Bird Sea Tell. 1975. My first stay on the beach. No other beach hotels of any sort for miles. We were all by ourselves, another couple and the Mrs. and me, and it was GREAT! We asked the gardener, fisherman, maintenance guy, and gate keeper about security and he replied..."If a thief come in the night, I hack em up and call the police in the morning. We slept secure there for sure!
    Wow! That's awesome! I can't even imagine what that must have been like!

I can't believe a bed for the night was $1.50. Three people would cram on the bed? Hot water supplied by a garden hose coiled over the roof? No electricity?
    I wish I could go back in time and experience that... Must have been such a trip!

As for me, I'd love to stay in a cottage or a Villa..
    Unfortunately most of the time...I can only afford the hotel room.
    I'm thinking of trying Catcha on our next trip. I'm hearing so many great things about that place.
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

I've done all three and love staying in a cottage best of all!