Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for traveling with a wedding dress

User Info Menu

Tips for traveling with a wedding dress

Hi everyone,

I'm traveling with a wedding dress and other formal attire and need advice. Has anyone done this before? I contacted Apple vacations but haven't gotten a response as to whether I can bring the wedding dress into the cabin and whether or not there is a place to hang it. I'm thinking about bringing an empty suitcase if I need to check it. Either way I will probably need to have the garments steamed when I arrive. I'm staying at a private villa so I won't be able to steam it there. Are there any resorts where I can have this done? I am a total newbie so sorry for this but I'm assuming Negril does not have a dry cleaner!

Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Re: Tips for traveling with a wedding dress

Yes! I did this back in October 2010

I carried my wedding dress in the garment bag that was provided by the boutique where I bought my dress. I carried it onto the plane (which was American Airlines) and they allowed me to hang it in the First Class coat closet during the flight (Just ask the flight attendant).
    Then when I got to Negril, the resort carried my dress to a dry cleaner up on the West End (past Out of Town Pastry) and had it steamed. It looked fabulous. However, I have no idea what the name of the dry cleaner was, I just remember it was up past out of town, take the left side of the fork. They did a fantastic job too.

My wedding day there was newly painted areas at our resort (bright blue) and it had rained. My dress dragged through the rain and mud AND paint and at the end of the night the whole bottom of my dress was muddy and BLUE! I was so upset thinking it was ruined. The resort took my dress back to the same dry cleaners that steamed it for me....and they got ALL of it out! It looked brand new! Highly recommend them.....if anyone knows the name of the place I am referring to please post it!

Oh and congrats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marley9808 View Post
    Yes! I did this back in October 2010

I carried my wedding dress in the garment bag that was provided by the boutique where I bought my dress. I carried it onto the plane (which was American Airlines) and they allowed me to hang it in the First Class coat closet during the flight (Just ask the flight attendant).
    Then when I got to Negril, the resort carried my dress to a dry cleaner up on the West End (past Out of Town Pastry) and had it steamed. It looked fabulous. However, I have no idea what the name of the dry cleaner was, I just remember it was up past out of town, take the left side of the fork. They did a fantastic job too.

My wedding day there was newly painted areas at our resort (bright blue) and it had rained. My dress dragged through the rain and mud AND paint and at the end of the night the whole bottom of my dress was muddy and BLUE! I was so upset thinking it was ruined. The resort took my dress back to the same dry cleaners that steamed it for me....and they got ALL of it out! It looked brand new! Highly recommend them.....if anyone knows the name of the place I am referring to please post it!

Oh and congrats!
    dont do it,jk

User Info Menu

Ahahahahahahahaha....Striper....you're funny
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

Though not to Jamaica, I traveled with my wedding gown as well and carried it on in a dress bag. I was travelling with Air Canada and the cabin crew hung it in the First Class closet. I would not recommend checking your wedding gown - in fact I would do everything I could not to check it. I was once given the advice to never check anything that you couldn't replace. Lost luggage happens and what a nightmare if that was you gown.

If they won't let you carry it on, I would ask if they would let you check it at the gate and pick it up when you are deplaning, like they do with baby strollers. That would minimize the chances of something going wrong.

Our journey took us through three different airports and all along the way, when I told people it was my wedding dress they took extra care with it, going through all the scanners, etc. I doubt you will have any problems.

User Info Menu

Make sure it is drip dry. You'll want to leap off a cliff in it! No worrys, Jamaican sun make it alla betta afta da drippin' done. All good.

User Info Menu

A year ago May, our daughter was mariied at Blue Cave Castle. Air Jamaica placed the gown in the first class closet. They didn't promise there would be room upon boarding, but will do everything they can to help for your special day. Everyone will make a fuss over you when you carry that gown!

Regards,

Bob

User Info Menu

Garment bag all the way!! and they should allow you to have it on the plane you.....can't see any airline being any different. I travelled last year to Jamaica with my dress, never let it out of my sight!! Congrats!! and Jamaica is a magical place to have your wedding!!

User Info Menu

I was partying with some flight attendants last night and asked them if they would but it in first class, and they all said,"Absolutely, and we'll be giving the bride free drinks." Sounds like standard procedure.

User Info Menu

Wait!!!!! I missed out on the free drinks part....and I sure could have used them! lol