Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reggae on the Rock Reunion

User Info Menu

Reggae on the Rock Reunion

Many of you "Old Timers" will know what this party is all about.
    For the rest of you...
    Friends of Jamaica USA (No longer active) was a charity founded by Wayne Pearce and I took over as the Director in 2002.
    We had some kick butt fundraisers in Rockford IL (It sits on the Rock River in Northern Illinois.)

My friend Sally and a few others thought a reunion party would be fun, and I agreed.
    So we will be gathering on September 15th at Brewsky's in Rockford, and will be raising some money for Mt Airy All Age School in Negril while we enjoy great Reggae from De Hurricane Band and share our love of Jamaica. It will be bring food to share and Sally will be bringing her famous Enchiladas.

People have been known to come from all over the United States for this party. The "pre-party" starts on Friday. I will talk to Sweden House this week for availability. They have a great meeting room for us to gather.

Flying in to O'Hare - ORD - is an option. There is a scheduled bus every hour between O'Hare and Rockford. I will arrange to get you to the Sweden House from their bus terminal. There is also a scheduled bus from Midway, but not as often.
    http://www.coachusa.com/vangalder/ss.tickets.asp

Rockford has an airport as well - RFD - as another option. Allegiant flies into RFD. I can also help get you to the Hotel from there. It's not far.

The party will start at 6PM. De Hurricane will play from 7 until 10. Then the "after-party" at the Hotel.
    There will be lots of door prizes and a silent auction. Many Jamaican items. Sally is also making one of her famous rum cakes. And I bet we can talk Mickey into making one too.

Mark your calendars, check for flights, tell your friends, and join us for a great party for a good cause. It's one of the best times you can have without being in Jamaica.

Email me at nursemarica4 at yahoo dot com with questions.

User Info Menu

Re: Reggae on the Rock Reunion

Additional info: Sally tells me Mt. Airy is now getting support from Sandals Foundation. We will be donating any money raised to another worthy cause in Negril. More information on that will be coming.

User Info Menu

Yes, Mt. Airy has had many strong supporters for quite a few years even before Sandals.
    Maybe look into helping the NEET project...they're doing incredible work around Jamaica.

User Info Menu

Nurse Marcia,

Andy & I will be coming & we will need a smoking room for Friday & Saturday night at the Sweden House. We look forward to seeing everyone there!!
    Getting Old Isn't For Sissy's!!

User Info Menu

Nurse......
    what band??
    heard Ark Band is playing??
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

This sounds like a lot of fun!! Right in our area too! Will definitely try to attend.

User Info Menu

Nice since you don't see many of the "oldtimers" posting anymore.It's always been a great party with great people1

User Info Menu

That will be the perfect way to celebrate my hubby's birthday. It's on Sep. 15! We're only a two hour drive away. Can't wait to meet you all.
    dorisw

2017 was our 15th trip to Negril. Other islands we visited: Cozumel, Mexico (4 times) St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Aruba, Harbour Island, Bahamas, Anguilla, St. Maarten/St.Martin, Ambergris Caye, Belize (twice)

User Info Menu

The Band is De Hurricane. They played at the last FOJ Reggae on the Rock and they were great. Jerry at Brewsky's (the manager) liked them so much he had them back for a special event at the bar the next year.

Great, Bonnie. Cands - you are welcome to come to the pre or post parties, even if you don't have a room.

Biggs - you and Pam think you can make it or will you be playing somewhere?

Rambo - tell Jules to get the night off so you can come!!

User Info Menu

Lisa, thanks for the info. I've worked with Mr Wellington in the past. NEET is a good organization.
    I've received some info for the Theodora Project from a Negril friend and that is also a possibility.