Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: What ever happened to the black eels for which Negril was originally named?

User Info Menu

What ever happened to the black eels for which Negril was originally named?

Did some research on Negril, and wiki says the original name came from spanish abbreviation of Black Eels .... I guess there were a lot of black eels near the Cliffs at some point, but I wonder what happened to them????

Also, what others species don't you see around Negril anymore?

User Info Menu

There is a black Coral eel around the Negril area.

User Info Menu

One nite at Hedo Mr stuck and I had a big spot light looking in the water off cement pier.We saw the bigest eel ever,about 6ft long 7-8 in tall and around 5-6 thick.We have never seen any that big even at the reef.Guard said the storm in the day drove it towards shore.That was about 11 yrs ago.Never have seen one even close to that size since!

User Info Menu

Eels? Definitely not going in off the cliffs. But that is interesting about how Negril got its name!

User Info Menu

moray eel mrs. stuck
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10765;128/st/20140626/e//k/ae6e/event.png

User Info Menu

Probably more like conger eels which are abundant in the reefs and rivers of Jamaica.