Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eat lionfish read this

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Re: Eat lionfish read this

That’s enough to potentially sicken a diner with the illness that causes not only typical food poisoning symptoms – diarrhea, vomiting and fatigue – but also neurological problems such as painfully tingling hands and feet, a feeling of having loose teeth, and, oddest of all, a reversed sense of temperature.

“Whatever I touched, if it was hot, it would feel cold. If it was cold, it felt hot,” ciguatera victim Pat Schroeder of Beaumont, Texas, told msnbc.com three years ago. “I couldn’t walk on the tile floor. It felt like it was burning me.”

That is SO strange. I'm a fan of eating Lionfish...so I do believe I will take my chances but this was very interesting.
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

Thanks... I needed this three days before I head to the rock!

You never see it coming ... and the next thing you know ... UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

User Info Menu

Interesting.....

I'm going to look into this.

User Info Menu

"Particularly in areas where we know ciguatoxin is present, people should not be eating lionfish," she said. "Just like they shouldn’t be eating grouper or other reef predators.” It is not just lionfish, they just singled lionfish out since there was a campaign to eat them.

User Info Menu

Noooo!! - That's the most depressing news I've heard all day.

I ate Lionfish 3 different times during my last trip to Jamaica and I was absolutely fine!

Thanks for the information though. I never heard about this before.
    So like, Twister… I began looking more into it. This is what I found out so far:

Ciguatera is a natural occurring toxin found in most subtropical/tropical fish predators – i.e Snapper, Grouper, Barricuda...etc. So It’s not surprising that they discovered it in Lionfish but I haven’t been able to find ANY actual reports of Ciguatera poisoning from Lionfish consumption yet .

This Toxin is also more common in the Pacific and much less so in the Caribbean sea.

Of course, once MSNBC gets involved and terrifies the public, you can guarantee that no one will ever eat Lionfish again.
    Last edited by Clarity; 06-27-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

I believe your chances of getting this from eating Lionfish would be equal to any other fish in the area. Who's to say you can't get it from a fish you buy in the grocery store?

People have been eating Lionfish for quite some time & there havent been reportings of mass illness due to the Lionfish. There have been Lionfish tournaments in Belize for several years and they eat all the catch without reported problems.

Don't need a media frenzy over this.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post

Of course, once MSNBC gets involved and terrifies the public, you can guarantee that no one will ever eat Lionfish again.
    LOL. Cable news would not try to do that!

User Info Menu

eating barracuda..i've know lots of locals getting sick once and a while

User Info Menu

Okay, boardies, whose going to fund my research and production of the ciguatoxin detector?

"Beep, Beep"...okay great two beeps means the ciguatoxin level is below the FDA’s illness threshold of 0.1 parts per billion.

"Beep, Beep, Beep, Buzzzzz......" It's a no go on this one!

We'll call it "Lion King"! Whose in?