Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Team GRITS, spacers, Greg, swiss cake rolls, and RICE AND BEANS!!

User Info Menu

Re: Team GRITS, spacers, Greg, swiss cake rolls, and RICE AND BEANS!!

Day 1
    I won't bore you with the airport details. Other than the shuttle to the International terminal takes FIFTEEN minutes to get you there and you cross into another county lol. But other than that...the terminal itself is really nice. Everything is brand-new. We had no wait at all at the counter. We had checked in online and our luggage was checked back in Memphis. We made it through security and chilled out for a while. Boarded plane and after a slight problem with our auxilliary power, we were off!

Made it into MoBay about ten minutes early. We got off the plane, walked (sprinted really, but who's counting) to customs, did all the business required, and were picking up our luggage in less than fifteen minutes. That was the quickest trip through ever. Ironically, waiting on our luggage took the longest.

How to describe that first moment when you walk out of the airport? All of us who've been to JA before know what I mean...the smell (that I love), the sounds (that I love), the views (that I love...sensing a pattern?)-- no way to describe the undescribable! It was awesome! We couldn't have had a better day to arrive, that's for sure. Sunny, hot, slight breeze blowing...wonderful!

Kingsley was our driver for this trip. He knew us automatically, which I thought was pretty cool. We talked for a few minutes, made each other laugh, and then decided to be on our way. We went to follow him and he said, "No mon, stay here and I'll bring the car to you!" Hey, not gonna argue with that!

We had two stops that we needed to make before we left MoBay. First stop, a cambio. I wish I would have remembered the name, but it was on the Hip Strip. Ok, this is kind of dorky but I thought it was cool anyway. I changed $500 US and came out with $43,000+ JA. C and I were giggling about that, and I thought I took a picture of the receipt but I can't find it! Speaking of pictures, I am going to try and add them to the report. I took some good ones, some terrible ones, and some ones that could quite possibly finance my next trip LOL!

Second stop was Mega Mart, which is exactly like a smaller Sam's Club or Costco if you've never been. While we were in a hurry to get to Negril, we couldn't help but look around. You see, my husband considers himself to be a world-class bulk shopper. Now this is the man who reluctantly agrees to go grocery shopping with me and simulataneously posts of FB how he is stuck in hell because he is at the store. But something about bulk buying...IDK. Anyway, I digress. Speaking of which, I do that a LOT. Which ironically, will play into the trip report! Back to the story, because we are dorks we walked around the store taking pictures of price tags. My personal favorite was the multi-pack of Degree Deodorant for $1228! Love it!

So anyway, we bought a case of Ting, two cases of the multiplying Red Stripe, a case of water, and a small bag of chips. Yes, we know where our priorities are!

Ok, posting this and then I'm going to try and upload some pictures.

Coming up, the harrowing journey to Negril!
    Name:  014.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  51.5 KB
    Waiting for the flight to MoBay...
    Name:  015.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  91.6 KBName:  016.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  91.3 KB
    Some pictures at the airport!
    Name:  020.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  96.4 KB
    Name:  032.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  84.0 KB
    Just to prove I'm a dork...lol
    Last edited by tfw73; 07-16-2012 at 11:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks TFW, So looking forward to your TR....great start....can tell this one will be funny!
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

Ok, continuing on Day 1 (this is more fun that I thought it would be!)...because I'm nice I let my husband sit in the front seat of Kingsley's van. Of course, nothing is that simple. I prefer to be oblivious, or Bolivian if you like jokes, to impeding car crashes. He just thinks I am being nice, which works for me either way. Surprisingly, traffic is light. We quickly make our way from the cambio to Mega Mart. Oops, I've already gone over this. Let me skip ahead.

We kept forgetting about the wrong sides of the vehicle. It's been two years since we were in JA, so that is reasonable. We loaded our stuff up, careful to keep the precious cargo safe. I was sure we would need that beer later in the week! So we took off, windows down, enjoying the sights and sounds. Kingsley stopped and picked up a young lady who needed a ride to Negril. Not what we were expecting, but hey, it was fine with us. I had really intended to stop at Bigga's for some jerk, but the closer we came to Negril, the more I just wanted to get there. I know y'all know exactly what I am talking about!

Pulling into Negril, I asked Kingsley what the houses/condos being built before you got to the Riu were...he told me they were being built for the workers at the hotel. They looked nice, I don't know what the local opinion over the buildings are and I'm hesitant to assume anything. Regardless, I still think they look nice.

Name:  021.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  86.2 KBName:  028.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  88.8 KBName:  035.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  93.1 KBName:  038.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  87.7 KB

We arrived at Coco. Now, I'll preface this by saying I absolutely love Cocolapalm. Perfect location, awesome beach, super friendly people. What's not to love? Our room had some issues, however. I don't like to dwell on the negative, so I will just say quickly that we brought the issues to their attention and it was fixed to our satisfaction. Would I return to Coco? Definitely!

So anyway, we go to our room and quickly unpack. We decide to go to the beach. Well, it was almost dead out there, which was great! We ordered a couple of Red Stripes and a late lunch. Swam for a while and rested, then it started raining. No thunder or lightening, just a steady, straight down rain. So we stayed in the ocean for a bit and then went in sat in the jacuzzi, which was really cool. If you haven't been to Coco's jacuzzi, it's hidden in the foliage. Sitting in it with the rain coming down was a highlight. It was very, very cool. We stayed out for quite a while and then it was time to go wash up and go to Pushcart for dinner.

Coming up, dinner with some new friends who felt like long lost family!

User Info Menu

This report is another good one mon!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Ahhhh, feel like I'm tagging right along in real time!!! Loving it! This is helping me survive for 5 more long months before next reach. Keep it coming...please???
    Great to see Kingsley...he truly is a great guy and driver.

User Info Menu

I'm back!!! Continuing Day 1!

So, we get showered and changed, all dolled up if you will. We walk out to the office and while it's never a good idea to ask your hotel to get you a cab, I decided to roll the dice. Stick with me, you'll see why in a minute lol.

First driver walks up and I ask him, "Fifteen bucks to Pushcart?" and he says that he can't do it. Cool, thanks anyway! So the second driver walks up and I repeat my questions. He replies no way, drivers can't do it for less than twenty. So I said thanks, but I can't do it for more than fifteen!

So we walk up to the road and an empty route taxi stops. I say, five bucks to Pushcart? Of course he says no, I need ten. So I say thanks anyway and turn around. He yells out, "Wait! I will do it for six!" Cool. So we get in and make our way to Pushcart. When we get there, we're a little early. So C and I are sitting at the bar and he proceeds to tell me that I insulted those taxi drivers LOL. Well I didn't mean to! Anyway, C gets a Red Stripe and I ask the bartender what would he recommend. He makes me some frozen banana alcohol type thing. Pretty good, I must say. While we were there, a girl ordered one of those drunken coconut things. WOW! I think I'd be under the table if I had one of those.

We're at the Pushcart to have dinner with some folks y'all may know...Rob and Lisa! WOOHOO! Also, this would be the official 'joining', if you will, of TEAM GRITS. Of course, we also were blessed with the company of another boardie...the same boardie who christened us TEAM GRITS. I haven't asked him if he wanted to be in the report, so I'll refer to him as Boardie X, for now. I liked Lisa right away, even though she is Canadian* (now don't get mad, it's not terrible. She does like mayo and cheese after all). Rob is super funny and of course I like anyone who laughs at my jokes! C monopolized Gary and Steph (he's still Gary at this point, his alter ego GREG hasn't been born yet) and Boardie X. We did take some fabulous pictures before we ate. Let me post some right now for you.
    Name:  039.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  91.4 KBName:  040.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  94.7 KBName:  041.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  92.7 KBName:  042.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  98.7 KB

Now, I can't stress how wonderful the company was! We laughed and joked and were loud and carried on. It was wonderful! It didn't feel like we were strangers whatsoever. I knew, KNEW, at this point that our vacation was going to be epic.

On to the food...which you will find in my trip report will be important. I hate I didn't take pictures here of the food! Many times during the trip I'd only remember to take pictures after I'd taken a couple of bites, or just plain forgot to take the pictures! UGH! Terrible! Anyway, I had the jerk sampler. It was delicious! This is what I always get. This time I remembered more food on the plate than before, not complaining however! The festival was so good and the jerk was delicious. The food was just outstanding. Couldn't have started out the trip any better.

This would be the end of Day 1....or at least all of Day 1 I'm going to tell you MUAHAHAHAHA!

User Info Menu

TFW, your trip sounds wonderful so far! Love how you jump right in meeting new people on the first night. :-)
    Also like how you went with the flow and didn't mind when your driver stopped and picked up another customer. Cool vibes! Still waiting to hear how the swiss cake rolls fit into this report! ha!

User Info Menu

Thanks y'all! I forgot to tell y'all that the asterik denoted extreme teasing lol

Eden, I'm not sure how in depth I will be going into the whole swiss cake roll thing!

User Info Menu

Go team GRITS !

User Info Menu

Yah Yah!
    Team GRITS (Girls.Raised.In.The.South)