Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: December Airfares

User Info Menu

December Airfares

Please tell me that they fares will be like it was earlier this year and come down in a few months??? I am looking for after Christmas and the roundtrip fare is looking to be $700 or more!!! YIKES!!

I can save almost $300 if I go before Christmas on Christmas Eve....BUT it will be my granddaughter's first Christmas (she will only be 2 months) would I be wrong to leave on Christmas Eve and not celebrate it with my sons (21 and 22) and my grand children (1yrs. and 2 months)??
    http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Re: December Airfares

I think you should leave on Xmas Eve. Things change when you are a grandparent as now it is YOUR time. On a side note, airfare is crazy the week between Xmas and New Years. Glad I have miles to book at least one way for the both of us.

User Info Menu

High season runs from Mid December-April.Here is a helpful guide to when to book tickets.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...093020006.html

Shop around, don't just assume the airline websites will offer the best rates, often they have the worst possible rates.

Hotwire/Priceline and even hotels.com have better rates "usually" than Orbitz or any other "deal" sites.

I strongly recommend avoiding groupon/deal of the day sites when looking for airfare/hotels, they tend to have more hidden fees and blackout dates.

User Info Menu

The grandkids are young...they won't even remember and your sons should realize its your time to do you. When the Grands are older...well that might be a different story but for now..tomorrows not promised to us.

User Info Menu

I agree with Babalew! The first year that we decided to travel during Christmas and New Years....I was really stressed and guilt ridden. But.....it turned out fantastic and we have been going during the holidays ever since. Number 1, your children are grown and have kids of their own...it's not like you are leaving your 6 year old. Number 2, they are quite young and really won't realize it....my grand kids are 19, 13, 10, 8, and 4 years old. They definitely realize Nana is gone....but, they think it is really cool because they get my gifts early!!! And, I am there while they open them. Truly, I think they really appreciate them more since now days, kids here tend to get soooo much stuff! Plus, they know they generally get a few goodies upon return.

Number 3....You have worked hard all your life raising them and I'm sure, you are great grandmother......so, you also deserve to enjoy life and seize the day. Life goes by so quickly and IMHO, if it fills you with joy, you will be so refreshed when you return!! Then, you can savor the time with them and later, be able to share many of your adventures with them (well, some of them LOL). As Smith 744 says, book, pack and go!! We booked our Dec trip quite early and really got a good deal. Actually, we couldn't make the summer trip due to higher rates than what we paid for Dec. Good luck and grab that Christmas Eve booking. Hope to see you there!!

User Info Menu

Thank you all!!! I have been debating this over and over and didn't want to be a bad grandma and mama. My sons will only want money for Christmas, lol. And my grandson is hooked on computer games (YES at just 1 years old), he needs his own IPad, LOL.

Even with the extra days at the hotel I am still saving about $300 if I go on Christmas Eve....I will keep you all updated!!!
    http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Luvsdaislands View Post
    Thank you all!!! I have been debating this over and over and didn't want to be a bad grandma and mama. My sons will only want money for Christmas, lol. And my grandson is hooked on computer games (YES at just 1 years old), he needs his own IPad, LOL.

Even with the extra days at the hotel I am still saving about $300 if I go on Christmas Eve....I will keep you all updated!!!
    Have you looked at two one way tickets? I found I can save some cash doing it this way instead of booking round trip on the same airline.

User Info Menu

A savings of 300 is a great start...as they say in Jamaica "every mickle makes a muckle" our version of a penny saved is a penny earned!! Good luck mi lady and crossing mi fingers that you push the button!!

User Info Menu

When you're looking, be sure to check first or business class, sometimes those rates are the same or lower.

User Info Menu

would I be wrong to leave on Christmas Eve and not celebrate it with my sons (21 and 22) and my grand children (1yrs. and 2 months)??
    Only you can decide if you will feel bad later or not.$300 is a lot of money.

I often get told when traveling to places like California, New York and Atlanta that I must live in the 1950's era where I live. But yes children play in the streets, ride their bikes to the store; and for holidays such as Christmas relatives from all over the world give their best effort to be with everyone in their family. Military members take leave and no one would ever think of intentionally not spending Christmas Eve and Christmas day with their Momma's , babies, grand babies or family. I understand this to not be the culture everywhere.

When I didn't come back until Thanksgiving Day last year I actually felt guilty as all he**. Where I come from being Momma doesn't end till I'm in the grave, just because my kids pass 18 and get their own families just mean more people under my wing not less surely; as for life being about me at that point, I decided the day I decided to get pregnant that my life would never put myself above my children, ever, that's what being a parent started for a new stage of life and it surely wasn't just an 18 year commitment.

I travel a few times a year , never during a birthday, or holiday and that's when I get ME time. Otherwise I am a Mother and grand mother and that's exactly what keeps me happy as I made the conscious choice to do that.

Children Are Our Tomorrow !