Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: first trip to Jamaica 3 weeks to go

User Info Menu

first trip to Jamaica 3 weeks to go

Ok so 3 weeks from now I will be on my way to Jamaica and staying at couples negril. This will be my wife and I's first trip to Jamaica and 2nd to the Caribbean we did Aruba for our honeymoon 10 yrs ago. We planned doing this trip ever since but was not untill april 2011 that we decided exactly what island and location we were gonna go. The reason for this trip is we wanted to originally get married on the beach but my mother really wanted to see one of her kids have a big wedding so that is what we did and decided on our 10year anniversary we would renew our vows on the beach somewhere. Now you all know a little background, I have been holding off on doing alot of looking and researching things to do and avoiding message boards and forums to try and help the time go by quicker since we paid for this over a year ago. Now with 3 weeks to go I am non stop looking on the Net. I have been making lists on places to eat, drinks to drink, places to go, and things to expect but could allways use more. Me and my wife are both laid back and get along with most and of all ages, we are really getting excited about going but not to happy about leaving our kids behind but I think we deserve this trip and are determined to have a blast and I am sure get hooked on Negril as I see many others have.

staying at couples negril ocean view room from July 31-aug 7th. Anniversary is aug 3rd and my 36th b day is aug 6th

User Info Menu

Re: first trip to Jamaica 3 weeks to go

Welcome! This is one of the best boards around for info about Negril. Congrats on your anniversary! Trust mi mon, you are going to love it. Take time to venture out and discover all Negril has to offer. It is truly life-changing! My best advise is to just be yourself...be smart, but be friendly...respect the people and you will get it back multiplied. There are so many places to discover. Don't be afraid to just drop in and grab a drink...or a meal, even if it doesn't look like the type of place you would normally stop stateside. Some of my favorite meals and experiences have been at small local places.

Drop in at some of the webcasts and don't forget the infamous pub crawls. Hit the west end fi sure!! A whole new world to discover with some of the best folks that I have ever met! Don't forget to snorkel with Vincent. He is truly the best!! Like a reef taxi!!! Enjoy to the max and enjoy!

User Info Menu

weewane - First, let me also add my Congrats and welcome to the board.

I don't know if you know, or did it on purpose, but you picked probably the wildest week Negril has all year.
    ATI, from Aug3-6 is a wild 4-day weekend in Negril as people from all over Jamaica come in for 4 days/nights of huge, organized parties.
    Dreams Weekend, is also a huge 6-days of events in Negril - at the same time Aug1-6.
    This year they are taking place to coincide with Jamaican Emancipation (Aug 1) and Jamaican Independence (Aug 6). And with it being Jamaica's 50th year of Independence, both ATI and Dreams will probably be off-the-hook this year. So the party may last that whole week, being "bookended" by the 2 weekends, not just the normal 4-days.
    So get ready to PAAAAAARRRRRRTTTTTTYYYYYYY!

The good thing, your hotel being on Bloody Bay and not the main 7-mile beach where ATI mainly is, will mean you can go and join the party if/when you want - but also go back to your hotel and be far enough away not to have your sleep disturbed.
    The down side, though, from what I hear (too hot/humid in Aug in JA for this big guy to go then) it's about the only 4 days that create a traffic jam on Norman Manley.
    I don't think is all along the road, but clustered around where each event is. But it will make it tough those 4 days going from the north beach area, where you will be, to the south part of the beach, downtown, or the Cliffs. It might be only certain times - so talk to the drivers and see if you can plan around it. The parties go from like 2PM to 4AM, so I think if you plan for the mornings you will miss it.
    Or plan to get your visits there done the other days when ATI is not taking place.
    Or best idea - hire one of the many boats to take you around it in the water and avoid the road.

Here is the ATI site for more info - http://www.atiweekend.com/
    Also, the Dreams Weekend site - http://www.jamaicadreamweekend.com/

Also, there's a pretty informative thread about it already going here:
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.p...?highlight=ATI

And another thread on another common travel site:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...l_Jamaica.html

Have fun - remember you'll be on vacation and don't have to be anywhere at a specific time (especially in Negril - LOL)!
    Last edited by Ohio_Buckeye_1; 07-10-2012 at 12:26 AM.
    08: Jan-NegrilTreehouse
    08: Nov-RoomsOnTheBeach, Ochi & TobysResort, MoBay
    09: Apr-Legends, Negril
    09: Dec-Legends, Negril
    10: Apr-HolidayInnSunspree, Mobay & SeastarInn, Negril
    10: Nov&Dec-SeastarInn & FunHoliday, Negril & SunsetResort, Treasure Beach
    11: Mar-FootePrints & NegrilBeachClubCondos, Negril
    11: Sep-Legends, Negril
    12: Sep-SeastarInn, Negril
    13: Mar-Match Resort & Bay View Resort, Port Antonio & El Greco, MoBay
    13: Dec-SeastarInn & Shields, Negril & VerneyHouse, MoBay

User Info Menu

First off Wow I got reply's and not only a reply but detailed replys this quick. When we planned this trip we had no idea about ATI and Dreams I discovered that last week and I consider that a bonus. I don't mind partying at all or the people doing it as long as they keep it under control and are respectfull. They are there to have fun the same as me so lets party woohoo. I deff plan to get off the resort and see what Negril has to offer and most definitely stop at the hole in the wall places cuz they normally have the best food and people at least they do in my neck of the woods. One place I wanna check out and I know it is a tourist trap but Rick's cafe just because. I know I need to get a Bob Marley shot, and a dirty Bannana, the red snapper sandwiches, the jerk chicken close to Mbay cant remember the name of the place but it will be on the list. Any other must Do things that ya'll think should be done please let me know.
    Ohh and as for the heat and humidity I live in Newport news, VA it is allways very humid and has been over 100 degrees outside for the last 10 days so 85-90 and humid will be just fine for me haha

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Good choice. Not too big and umm no kids. To your right you will see Riu Trop which has like TONS of guest.They also serve you drinks on the beach.Get in a cab with the red plates and go to the cliffs,Canoe bar,Xtabi,Sea Star drum show sat nts,Sips& Bites...Use cash at Ricks.....

User Info Menu

weewane....5X Couples Negriller here.....we love that place, and bloody bay is heaven....we are more hooked on Negril at large now..The cliffs, west end, Long Bay Beach, and all the people and businesses, and probably won't do CN again for a while because of cost...but, you've picked the best property in all of Jamaica to start your love affair with the island!!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks lisapat I think so to even though I have not arrived yet I know I will be in paradise when I get there. Last night I spent about 3 hours reading alot of the pages of the " I wish I woulda thought of that " thread on the couples message board and have a pretty good list of things to bring with me that I would have never thought of also figured out what we are gonna pack as far as clothes, mostly bathing suits, clothes to get remarried in, and toiletry's. Gonna pull the suitcases down from the attic this weekend and start doing some packing. Gotta make sure I leave room to bring things back ie... rum cream, shot glasses, shirts, souvenirs for the kids and friends back home ect... and I plan to bring a scale to weight my bags to get the most in them I can LoL

User Info Menu

weewane... Walmart has a suitcase scale in the travel section! Well worth it to me!

You never see it coming ... and the next thing you know ... UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

User Info Menu

I couldn't agree more....we have one of those handheld luggage scales, we take it with us on every trip.....comes in very handy!

User Info Menu

went to walmart tonight and got a bunch of stuff, got a luggage scale, a small roll of bubble wrap to protect my breakables on the way home, ziplock bags, some lip balm with spf, bug spray, and got alot of school supplies and snack packs of M&M's to give to the staff while I am there. I have a few other odds and ends to get prior to leaving but all in all I think I am ready to go and I know my wife is. Now its pretty much a waiting game.
    I am officially down to the teens 19 days till I am in Jamaica but whos counting Hehehe